733     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Name Your Lanes, Toronto!

P

pyrotix

I think if we named the lanes and alleys in Toronto, people would pay more attention to beautifying them. I have created a simple guide to naming the alley behind your house. Check it out at:

newmindspace.com/nameyourlane/

Great idea, and welcome aboard!

Aren't most Toronto alleys already named though?

I once looked into the possibility of naming the lanes at the side and back of my house. I was told by someone at whatever-department-at-City-Hall-it-was that they don't name "dead end" lanes that go nowhere, which is the case where I live.

No dead end names! I'm so sorry to hear that, it seems unfair somehow.

Imagine if we applied it to people?

"I'd like you to meet my four children: [Blank], [Blank], [Blank] and Lance."

I believe that, in the case of dead end lanes, it had something to do with emergency access. If a street or lane has a name it is a sign to ambulance or fire truck drivers that they can cut through to get somewhere else, but if it doesn't have a name it is a sign to them to stay out. Something like that anyway, some ancient decision that made sense in 1922 or something, and maybe still does ...

I wanted the City to name it Love Lane - after the Love brothers, who owned the land and built a dozen or so identical semi's there in 1908. The first owner of my place paid $1,800 for it!

We once had a resident's meeting in the laneway. The city was expropriating it, to have it paved properly, with drainage and lighting put in. One or two of the older residents said they remembered how, back in the 1960's, every property owner who bordered the lane had to pay an annual upkeep fee. In those days residential populations were less transient, I suppose, and they could hold people to account. So easy to lose sight of how social changes can affect the way we define space.

Hmm, what to name my alley...

Decrepit Drive
Prostitution Place
Rape Road
Cocaine Court
Trash Terrace

But on the cool side, I found a manhole cover which dates back to 1904 almost right behind my house.

i spoke to brian hall at the city surveyor's office and he told me that a lane stands a very good chance of getting named if a property fronts on it.

we are looking to name the alley behind the bathurst/markham houses between college and lennox st., with an entrace on markham as well. it is one way, and i don't think an ambulance could fit through it anyway, but there are places to go, certainly.

our fav. name so far is "cakins mews" :)

bp Nichol lane in behind innis college is a dead ender, is it not?

(if this idea doesn't work, we are thinking of simply offering landlords free murals.)

bp has an outlet over to Huron behind Rochedale/Croll Apts.

--

Chuck> I think a better name for your lane is Hyperbole Alley.

i spoke to brian hall at the city surveyor's office and he told me that a lane stands a very good chance of getting named if a property fronts on it.

That was my impression: actual street addresses are what distinguish named from unnamed lanes...

Mills Lane?

mills360wx212h.jpg

Back