News   Aug 07, 2024
 381     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 299     0 

Musicians in the subways...?

theowne

Member Bio
Reaction score
So where do the musicians on the subways come from? Do you have to apply to the TTC or something? Many of them seem well-off enough and I assume they do it for other reasons. Just wondering. Seems like a fun thing to do.

if they are good they make lots of money...

remember a violin and guitar small group were playing an upbeat tune and this made people very cherry and happy. It wished they came back... :D

I remember an awful guy who butchered Stairway to Heaven. :mad:

Yeah. If you gotta butcher Stairway To Heaven, make sure you're a good guy

Sometimes they do requests. I once asked John Gao, the erhu player, to perform The Butterfly Lovers and he did some of it.

The most interesting acts get the Bloor station gig.
Really? Because I get off at Bloor NB to change to the B-D 4 days a week on average and some of the people are good and others... well let's just say it reminds me of this exchange in "Coming to America"

"Sexual Chocolate!" "That boy's good." "Yeah, good and terrible."

Apart from breaking up the monotony of the commute though, it keeps eyes on the subway system which is more obvious than security cameras.

Really? Because I get off at Bloor NB to change to the B-D 4 days a week on average and some of the people are good and others... well let's just say it reminds me of this exchange in "Coming to America"

"Sexual Chocolate!" "That boy's good." "Yeah, good and terrible."

Apart from breaking up the monotony of the commute though, it keeps eyes on the subway system which is more obvious than security cameras.

I don't know if they officially choose musicians, it was something I heard from someone, and my ears confirmed it whenever I was there. I don't pass through this station on a daily basis so I'll take your word for it that they're not always great. Alternately, the TTC struggles to pick good musicians like they do with some other non-operational tasks ;) .

I remember that years ago there were very, very few musicians licensed to play in the subway, and then one year -- must have been, say, 1990? around there -- they decided to open things up by licensing anyone who was half decent, annually holding a day or two of auditions (at Harbourfront maybe?) for the purpose.

This is vague memory, mind you. Maybe someone else knows with more certainty?

i remember reading an article about it a few years back...they held auditions in some auditorium.

I remember that years ago there were very, very few musicians licensed to play in the subway, and then one year -- must have been, say, 1990? around there -- they decided to open things up by licensing anyone who was half decent, annually holding a day or two of auditions (at Harbourfront maybe?) for the purpose.

This is vague memory, mind you. Maybe someone else knows with more certainty?

Up until about the mid-80s or whenever auditions/licencing started, subway musicians were non-existent in Toronto...

Up until about the mid-80s or whenever auditions/licencing started, subway musicians were non-existent in Toronto...

They weren't non-existent, but they were very few and far between. There were something like 5 or 6 musicians licensed. It was kind of nutty.

... okay, just did a Google search. Turns out I wasn't too far off with 1990. Do a ctrl-F on "Ezra" within this article. And you're basically right about being non-existent, but until 1980, says the TTC. Interesting how they tally up the number of people who auditioned, but not the number who were licensed -- there is an analogy to be made with the street food programme, methinks.

Back