afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
From The Star:

Harper attacks Liberals, Obama in private speech to party
March 13, 2009
Jennifer Ditchburn
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA – Stephen Harper made two very different sales pitches for his economic plan this week: one a public pep talk to jittery Canadians, the other a private smoothing-of-the-feathers for uneasy conservatives.

The marquee speech Canadians saw on television Tuesday or read about the next day was about how the economy would recover swiftly and strongly through targeted spending in the budget.

The other was behind closed doors Thursday evening to a group of key conservatives – sharply partisan remarks that ripped into the Liberals, libertarians, the Obama administration's tax policies and Wall Street.

The prime minister spoke at a conference sponsored by the Manning Centre for Building Democracy, a conservative think-tank run by former Reform Party leader Preston Manning.

The prime minister's office did not signal beforehand that he was giving the speech, and refused to make his remarks available afterward.

In a recording obtained by The Canadian Press, Harper goes after the Liberals in a election-campaign style attack, saying the current situation would be much worse had they been in power.

"Imagine the stance Canada would have taken when Hezbollah and Hamas terrorists attacked Israel. Imagine how many Liberal insiders and ideologues would be now in the Senate, the courts and countless other federal institutions and agencies – I should say, how many more," Harper said to laughter.

"Imagine the costs of going through with the Kyoto and Kelowna accords with no plan to actually achieve anything on either the environment or aboriginal affairs. Imagine what a carbon tax would be doing to our economy in the middle of a global recession."

He twice pointed disdainfully to tax hikes U.S. President Barack Obama introduced for the highest tax brackets.

Harper urged the crowd not to "forget that Conservatives being in power has made an enormous difference."

The prime minister has been criticized in some conservative circles for allowing the government to go into deficit with spending programs designed to stimulate the economy. At the conference, which continued Friday, some high-profile conservatives warned against watering down conservative ideas to win votes.

"Conservatives should stop having the internal debate in their head and all the philosophical arguments, and talk about hard specific ideas that make a difference in people's lives, have the courage to stand up and fight for the things we know are right," said Tom Long, a former leadership candidate for the Canadian Alliance.

"We have tried going out and selling things we don't believe in – how's that working?"

Said Michel Kelly Gagnon of the Montreal Economic Institute: "If you want to vote for a centrist party, you can vote for the Liberal party of Canada. They're very good at that."

But Harper vigorously defended his policies, arguing that compromises had to be made to face the economic reality.

"I'm talking about compromises that address the reality of the lives of real people."

He went on to deride the spendthrift culture in the United States and the recklessness of Wall Street. Harper, who has been described as a libertarian in the past, surprised some in the audience by critiquing those same ideals.

"The libertarian says, `Let individuals exercise full freedom and take full responsibility for their actions.' The problem with this notion is that people who act irresponsibly in the name of freedom are almost never willing to take responsibility for their actions."

Mike Brock, a Conservative blogger who attended the conference, called the speech bewildering.

"The treatment to classical liberals and libertarians – of which I consider myself – was nothing short of stunning," he wrote.

"The condescension was literally dripping from his mouth. Was this his response to the disillusionment that libertarians across the country have had to his government and its policies of late?

"If it was, it did not build any bridges. Rather, it burnt them right down."

-------------------------------

And Keith wonders why I have a profound dislike for Harper...

Two faced? That's politics.

Harper feeling cornered? That's the reality.

Oh come on. A politician frustrated and venting is caught on tape. The scandal! Being a conservative in canada is probably harder than being a liberal in the US. I would expect to blow his cool occasionally. That he criticized the Liberals, the Obama administration and his party's ideologically rigid bits should hardly come as a surprise. I am fairly sure there aren't too many Liberals singing Harper's praises behind closed doors. Besides, some of those criticisms are certainly valid. Anything wrong with challenging the rigidity of Libertarians?

I don't care about him bashing Liberals. I care about him lying to Canadians about his priorities. You know, hidden agenda and all.

of course if he a majority we would have seen the dark side of Harper...

I have read over the article thrice and I still don't see evidence of a 'hidden agenda'. It strikes me that a lot of this could be spin from The Star in this article.

Here we have a PM who gives a speech to Canadians on TV one day and the next behind closed doors criticizes his opponents and his parties more ideological kin. How does that smack of a hidden agenda? I don't see it.

He starts of saying life would have been worse under the Liberals. Is it really a surprise that a Conservative PM would say that? Next he criticizes Obama's tax increases. Again, anybody surprised to hear that coming from a Conservative PM?

Most surprisingly, however, he criticized the libertarians in his party for not marrying responsibility and accountability with their philosophies. And he goes on to criticize the 'spendthrift culture' in the US. That's surprising for a Conservative PM. However, given what Harper has said before about being a little more centrist and drawing Canadians to the right slowly, I don't think its surprising at all that he wants his party to be more pragmatic. Again, how is that a hidden agenda? If anything, some in his party are unhappy because his hidden agenda is to be a centrist and pragmatist.

I'd like to see more of this tape. As it stands, this article is simply a combination of a leak by some unhappy Conservatives and the usual hit job by The Star (I will only trust the Globe as a centre-left source).

Actually I believe the text of the entire speech is available at the Post website. While I don't think the speech is that big a deal, knowing the mouth it came from, I found it funny that none the usual critics of the Grits called this a "snub" or a "faux-pas" in US-Canada relationship - something they would pounce on if it was Martin or Chretien who said anything of such nature.

PS: The Globe is, if anything, right-of-centre (and being more so since Harper)

AoD

Say what you want, it doesn't reflect well on a guy who is known as a bitter partisan, and who recently promised to put aside politics and play fair.

He can't help himself. I couldn't believe that he managed to take a shot at the Liberals during his economic update speech.

I also don't see any hidden agenda.

As for partisanship, why is anyone remotely surprised? Of course Harper is going to take a shot at the Liberals - just as the Liberals and the NDP have taken shots at the Conservatives. This is politics, after all.

Harper is under pressure due to his deficit, the failure to achieve a majority in the last election, and a worsening global economic situation. People inside the party are going to hold him accountable for some of these things. He's in a tough position.

He twice pointed disdainfully to tax hikes U.S. President Barack Obama introduced for the highest tax brackets.

Harper urged the crowd not to "forget that Conservatives being in power has made an enormous difference."

It would be nice to hear what he actually said instead of this pathetic spin attempt. I'm not even a fan of harper but this is intellectually dishonest writing from the star

Harper is between a rock and a hard place.

The NDP are out and the opposition isn't a running joke anymore.

If he could not win against leftist Dorky Dion....

He has no chance if he is going to be fighting tooth and nail with Igantieff for the Centrists voters in Suburbs/Exurbs...

Dunno yet; so far, there's been no evidence of the Tories plummeting below 30% in the polls...

Back