News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Mississauga City Centre Placemaking concept plan by PPS

Thanks for the update!

I found this overview pretty interesting:

citycentre.jpg

By the way, I am very pleased to see that this existing laneway:

DSC04445.jpg

Will be continued all the way up through the development...hopefully to Rathburn one day.

I don't like their idea of removing the median on Duke of York - the trees in the planters there are huge and cover much of the road.

Also, they will be installing parking meters on all the streets surrounding the civic centre at any time now - finally!

Thanks for extracting the plan diagram!

The city has a press release up today:

Article

Mississauga's City Centre Concept Plan Ready for Public Viewing

Sep 13, 2006

After months of public consultation, the City of Mississauga is unveiling its vision for the revitalization of public spaces in and around downtown Mississauga, with particular focus on new parks and public spaces in the City Centre.

The City has been working with Project for Public Spaces (PPS) -- a non-profit organization which specializes in working with cities to create and sustain lively public places -- to draft a concept plan that will see the City Centre develop into a vital community destination with programs, people-friendly settings, and social and economic rejuvenation. The plan is built on the principles of "Placemaking" - creating successful public spaces through access, activities, comfort and sociability.

"The successful 'My Mississauga' program of outdoor events, held in the Civic Square and Central Library Square this summer, grew out of the Placemaking process," said Bruce Carr, project director. "Some of the new activities such as the concert series, sports street and the relocated Lions Club farmers' market, are based on programming ideas that were generated by participants in our extensive public process. These actions demonstrate Mississauga's commitment to promoting new activities which will help to create a sense of place in downtown Mississauga."

The proposal for Mississauga's City Centre is outlined in the report, "Building Mississauga around Places - A Vision for City Centre Parks and Open Spaces in the 21st Century." The concept plan and report are available for viewing from eCity's "Placemaking" website. Public comments are welcome via the online form.

Following the comment period, the report and concept will be finalized and presented to the public later this year. New park development and renovations to existing open spaces will be phased over several years beginning in 2007.

Hehe, I'm in one of the pictures in the report!

It is a fantastic vision for the future of Mississauga City Centre. I'm amazed that the city was committed to testing the ideas out on the square this summer with the My Mississauga celebrations attracting hundreds of thousands of residents and visitors on what is usually dead space.

This is only the beginning! Stay tuned for more!

Louroz

I think this is really the first year that you could truly say there was some life around the City Hall. It was a long time coming.

The city, PPS, and many ordinary citizens have put time and effort into this plan. I'm generally pleased by it (still would like to see Prince of Wales Drive dead-ended, but I guess that ain't gonna happen).

This will be an amazing district in a few years. You'll be able to call it a real downtown without having people sneer, as some do now. It's an interesting combination of new developments and "retrofitting" some longstanding developed space. I don't really know of too many places in Ontario that are doing anything truly comparable.

FM: I didn't realize they were taking pictures on that school bus! :)

Work has already started before the release of this report on Burnhamthorpe Rd.

One recommendation durning the PPS meetings was to reduce the width of Burnhamthorpe Rd and Hurontario St.

One lane on the north side Burnhamthorpe Rd under phase one is being remove now. Even removing this lane will not make it easy to cross it.

Reducing Duke of York as well removing the centre section is a mistake. Only have to look at the new extention of Confederation to see this. That road will be a bitch to cross once the buildings are built.

You think turing rigth onto Burnhamthorpe Rd as well going through the intersection is bad now, wait tell the changes take place on DofY.

The final report is waterdown from what should happen from the last meeting.

The report has City recommendation written all over it sorry to say, not what the core could look like under PPS recommendation. City Center yes, Downtown NO.

It will be nice to see the Berlin Wall around City hall to go.

Is that what they're doing on Burnhamthorpe? My office overlooks it. I was wondering why they were pouring a new sidewalk right at the curb. Very strange way of eliminating a lane, though...

Article

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
City Centre plans unveiled

Joseph Chin
Jan 13, 2007

The grand plan to give the City Centre a makeover is in place.
Now, the City of Mississauga is putting up the money - lots of it - to make it a reality.

Over the next four years, more than $11 million will be spent on the project. The funds have been included in the 2007-2016 capital budget and forecast.

City staff and a New York-based consultant, Project for Public Spaces, will unveil the final plan this Wednesday at a public meeting at the Central Library. The meeting starts at 7 p.m.

Ward 4 Councillor Frank Dale said the project presents an unusual challenge.

"Mississauga is the only city in the world grown from the outside in," he noted.

Ward 7 Councillor Nando Iannicca, whose ward takes in part of the city core, said there was a "tremendous sense of excitement" surrounding the project.

"Great cities have great city places," he said.

Approximately $3.5 million is earmarked for Civic Square and Central Library Square. Plans are to rebuild and expand the outdoor skating rink on level with the surrounding plaza to increase usage, open up and remove sections of the walls around Civic Square to make it visible from surrounding streets, incorporate an outdoor wedding chapel into the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Garden and create year-round market spaces.

Some $3.4 million will be spent on a three-acre park located immediately west of the Living Arts Centre (LAC). The park will function as both a transition space between the highly-active Civic Square area and the recreation spaces being developed leading into Zonta Meadows Park. In addition to grassy areas, the public park will feature formal display gardens, a tea house and water fountain.

Another $3.5 million is budgeted for two future parks to tie in with further condominium development by Amacon.

The first, envisioned as a busy urban square, will feature retail shops, a tree-shaded promenade with seating and a gazebo that could be used for small performances. The second park, which will extend towards Zonta Meadows, is envisioned as an urban backyard. It'll include a small, naturalized pond as a setting for picnics, sunbathing, paddle boats and skating.

Zonta Meadows will undergo a $1-million redevelopment to make it function as the active recreational area of the City Centre. Look for a walking loop, an expanded playground, a small skateboard park, basketball and volleyball courts, and picnic sites.

Bruce Carr, the City's director of strategic planning and business services, summed up the grand vision.

"The plan incorporates a range of people-friendly settings," he said. "From cafs, portable stages, ornamental gardens, an outdoor library and farmers' market, to a skate park and climbing wall, there is something for everyone."

Most of the projects are expected to be completed by 2010.

-----------------------​

The final report is available here.

Obviously, the name "Zonta Meadows" makes some of us think of a certain bellowing shirtless mustache guy in Xmas gear...

It looks like a solid plan.

Though I did see a spot for a 'restaurant' and 'food kiosks', I think having a lot more restaurants for the plan/area would be golden for those who live there. Especially those with patios.

Though I did see a spot for a 'restaurant' and 'food kiosks', I think having a lot more restaurants for the plan/area would be golden for those who live there. Especially those with patios.

Agreed. There are lots of excellent restaurants in Mississauga, but a lot of them seem to be scattered and hidden away in industrial complexes, strip malls or neighbourhoods you'd never guess to drive to.

There has been ads in the GTA section in the Toronto Star promoting the unveiling the final version of the plan. The presentation takes place this Wednesday at 7:00PM at the Central Library auditorium.

There has been a real "buzz" in the community about the plan, people are getting excited. It would have been nice to have them broadcast the presentation on Rogers Cable for more residents to be aware of the plans.

Louroz

Apparently their idea of placemaking is having a family skate on New Years Eve in front of city hall between 5pm and 9pm.
I thought the majority of people moving into the City Centre are young, single people? How is Mississauga ever going to have a downtown when all they do is focus on families?

Haven't they always had that New Year's Eve skate followed the next day by the mayor's levee?

Back