2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 702     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Miketoronto looks for ghosts at the Elgin Winter Garden

M

miketoronto

On Halloween, some friends and I went for a ghost tour at the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre. The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre is the last operating double deck theatre in the world, and was opened in 1914. So as you can guess, there is lots of ghost stories from this place.

The volunteers who give the tours really did a nice job for the Halloween tour, and they also provide regular tours of the theatre.

So come look for ghosts with Miketoronto.

Due to a show setup, pictures of the Elgin Theatre where not allowed on this tour. So no pics of the Elgin Theatre, sadly.

Here we are at the main staircase in the lobby. Our tour guide said a lady in white is often seen at the top of the stairs. I did not get it on camera, but a lady in white did show herself(thanks to one of the volunteers :) )
elgin1.jpg

The tour included going up to the Winter Garden Theatre, 7 stories up. We had to take elevators up, that are still the old style manual operator elevators. They are really cool.
One of the elevators is haunted, and often the elevator byitself will go to the Winter Garden level. Since you need an operator to move the elevator, it must be a ghost.

Elevator operators have also noted that many times the Winter Garden call button will be pushed, even when the Winter Garden level is locked and no one is up there. This is said to be done by a ghost of a lady who was stabbed in a washroom on the Winter Garden level, and managed to crawl to the elevator lobby to push the call button.
elgin2.jpg

I think the ghost was at work that night. Because don't you think the group Miketoronto was in, was put in the haunted elevator. And the elevator would not move, no matter what the operator tried. So we all had to be put into another elevator. Here we are all stuck in the haunted elevator.
elgin3.jpg

Finally we made it to the Winter Garden theatre, 7 floors up.
elgin4.jpg

Spooky. The Winter Garden Theatre is full of smoke(fake smoke) and the sound of ghosts.
elgin5.jpg

One of the ghosts makes an appearance. This is the ghost of an actor who fell from the stage and died in the theatre. Of course our ghost was a volunteer, but the real one can be seen in the theatre, they say.
elgin6.jpg

In the Winter Garden Theatre. And yes people, those are real tree leaves on the ceiling.
elgin7.jpg

elgin8.jpg

elgin10.jpg

We see the ghost of the bride, who is seen walking througout the Winter Garden Theatre.
elgin9.jpg

After the tour, it was time to hit Church Street for the Church Street Halloween party. And what a party. People had some very interesting costumes.
elgin11.JPG

elgin12.JPG

Just as an aside, how come hospitals aren't filled to capacity with ghosts?

You'd also have to figure the subway system would be crawling with souls halfway between here and there given the number of deaths on the system over the years.

^ Some of the people on the subway look pretty ghostly to me. Others certainly look at least half dead.

Back