891     0 

Micallef's Downtown Y

A

Archivistower

The big Y
The downtown YMCA is an architectural treasure
where the urban menagerie is on full parade

by Shawn Micallef

On Grosvenor Street, just west of Yonge in between Wellesley and College Streets, there's a mural painted on the pavement in front of Toronto Fire Station 314 that reads "Running the Strip since 1871." I read it every time I walk by on my way to the Metro Central YMCA next door. I love the way it celebrates and mythologizes both the fire department and Yonge Street.

The Y is another mythologized organization that has been a part of this city for 150 years, and the Metro Central is its heart. Here on Grosvenor, 11,000 Torontonians of all shades, shapes and sizes come together to get ripped abs, to learn English or to get help in finding a job. Before I joined, I thought the Y was just a gym. Now I think it's as important an institution as the Red Cross or Station 314.

The Metro Central Y is part of the YMCA of Greater Toronto, and as far as gyms go, it's a palace. Opened in 1984, the building was designed by Jack Diamond's firm, the folks who are building the new Opera House at University and Queen, and it's one of our best public(ish) buildings. It's a collection of different geometric shapes wrapped around a six-storey grand central staircase called the Athlete's Stairs, designed as a meeting place where people can bump into each other and chat.

When it opened, architecture critic Adele Freedman said, "It is tall enough to inspire heavenly thought." Never mind that my fear of heights makes me feel like I might start rolling down those stairs, taking out an athlete or two -- the space just soars, and being able to see other parts of the building while in it makes it feel like we're all part of some kind of intricate machine.

It's that openness that makes this building great. From nearly every room, you can look into another and watch people play basketball, swim, stretch or do a weird yoga move. The running track, suspended over the gymnasium, passes through two or three distinct spaces, depending on how the gym is divided up.

One side might have a life-or-death struggle over a puck or a volleyball and the other will have folks sweating away doing step aerobics to really bad circuit techno. I often wonder if their struggle would be easier if the instructor played good music -- the odd times they drop Madonna, I'm certain I run faster. The pool was inspired by the architecture of Roman baths and has a vaulted ceiling, full of round skylights that allow beams of sunlight to pierce the water. They look brilliant underwater.

Inside the building, the Y's slogan, "We build strong kids, strong families and strong communities," is everywhere. Most anyplace else it would give me the creeps. Not here, though. There isn't any of the moralizing that usually goes along with those kinds of words. Community service, according to general manager Lesley Davidson, is something they're proud to do. The Y's services are also available to those who can't afford the fees: staff will assess the financial state of an individual or family and reduce or cover fees accordingly. "About 30 per cent of our patrons are on assistance," says Davidson. "That's representative of the poverty levels in Toronto."

The Y's new family pricing strategy will let an entire family join for $75. "We noticed we were not serving working families well," Davidson explains. "Upper-income families were fine, and lower-income ones could apply for assistance -- but these families were left out." Davidson says the Y worked with the Toronto Health Department to identify targets like childhood obesity, and letting more families join will help reduce this growing trend.

This earnestness has a long history behind it. The Young Men's Christian Association was founded in London, England in 1844 by George Williams, a teetotalling evangelical Christian who wanted to provide an urban alternative to the taverns, brothels and other sinful temptations of the city. Until 1984, the Metro Central Y was on College at Bay, where the police headquarters now resides. The old building included a 157-bed hotel, a service no longer provided.

It was the affordable accommodation and accepting atmosphere that gave Ys around the world a storied place in gay history, a role that declined after the 1970s, when gay went mainstream. The Metro Central is still listed as a cruising spot on gay websites, but that might be wishful thinking. I've never noticed anything more than the flirty backwards glances that make public life exciting. Once, a guy in the change room offered to show me his collection of 1972 Mark Spitz swimwear, but I'm sure he was just being friendly.

Today, the Y is a secular organization. I'm glad, because few things are as rewarding as a drink after a late evening swim. On weekdays, the Y is open until 11pm. I usually go after 9pm and wander around the machines on the main floor or read while riding a bike. Upstairs, there is a free-weight room, but all that freedom seems dangerous and the people are more serious up there, judging by the loud grunting.

The people at the Y are as diverse as Toronto and not at all intimidating. Some exercise conventionally, while others do things like roll basketballs all over their bodies. I have secret nicknames for many of the characters there: The Russian Bear who sprinkles herbal water on sauna rocks and says "good for the lungs, good for the skin"; Underwear Man, who thinks his underpants are suitable to exercise in; Stink King, who doesn't wipe his terrible odour from the equipment; and Ari-Fleischer-Doppelganger, who is too serious for his own good.

They mix in with the businesswomen, computer geeks, punks and new Canadians who use the Y. In the showers I catch glimpses of horrific looking scars on some naked bodies -- some backstories are considerably more fraught and violent than the suburban Ontario one I enjoyed. The Y is an oasis from all that, and a good place to rest and be well before returning to the fine and sinful temptations of the Yonge Street Strip.

Shawn Micallef is an editor of Spacing and This magazines and a founder of the [murmur] project (and a forum member).

Shawn, I was thrilled even just to turn the page and see that you had written about the Y. I love your pieces and I love this building, so I figured the two together would be a good thing.

The Y is one of those buildings where I can imagine what the architect might have said about it during the construction phase, and where it actually came true. So often, there is so much hyperbole around a project. For instance, I could see Diamond talking about the stairway as a metaphor for the effort to remain fit (and a literal effort as well) as well as a "main street" for the Y, which your article captures so well. I have lingered on the stairs watching people do their aerobics or step classes with envy and admiration, as I am left-right challenged I can't partake (I tried about five "lessons" before step class to little apparent effect). I find watching those people, quality of music aside, very cheering.

I also think the area just outside the main doors is a great living room space, a transitional moment between the outside world the and the interior of the Y. The two pillars really help define an area that is semi-public and yet enclosed. I love seeing people smoke out there and meet each other after or before working out - it reminds me of the ways that people are inconsistent in their choices.

About the clientele, I will always remember the time I saw a man, all wet, in the change area. He was dripping fiercely. I had a moment of irritation - it's the dry area - when I suddenly noticed how elegantly lean he was, and how beautifully the drops clung to his tanned, defined muscles. It was quite remarkable. In the end, I realized he was completely crazy, talking to himself and making those odd gestures that people sometimes do. I remember thinking at the time that he'd never be found in any other gym, they would cancelled his membership for his erratic behaviour, and I loved the Y all the more for this small moment of beauty that it brought into my life.

Thanks Archivist - when do you go? I've never seen you there. The cross section of people at the Y really make it. When i'm in windsor i go to that one, and it just can't compare to Metro Central. Everybody should join.

I work in the building almost next door and go at lunch. There is a very small, very regular group of people who always appear there at lunch.

I welcome more lunch-workers-out. New faces are always a good thing.

Great article, Shawn. I love this building as well. I am a conference organizer, and most of our seminars are held here as the auditorium is ideal: big, affordable, pleasant, and in a venue centrally-located and easily accessible by subway.

The design of the auditorium is wonderful. Giant, curved, wooden pairs of doors slide into the walls and allow the space to be opened up for ventilation or easy access on three sides. Chairs and large tables are brought in for groups over 100 and theatre seating folds out of the wall for groups up to 200. The front is adjacent to and overlooks the gym. On the same floor is a terrific daycare space as well as a restaurant space which unfortunately failed as such and is now used for conferences as well - a function for which it is not as well-suited as it is open to the lobby which is occasionally quite noisy.

On the puzzling side is that Diamond would fail to put washrooms on a floor with a large auditorium and restaurant.

Although I have a gym membership elsewhere, I am giving serious thought to joining the Y.

Yes, i've wondered if additional bathrooms got left out somehow in the compromises. There are no washrooms on any of the 6 exercise floors -- you have to go all the way to the changerooms in the basement.

Hello all, I work for the Scarborough Y. I'm still on my quest to visit all of the GTA Y's... so far I've only been to mine (member/employee on and off for 13 years) and to the new Markham location, which is very, very state of the art.

Shawn, your article has inspired me to visit the Bayview location tomorrow...

The Y is really a great place in every aspect... the family atmosphere being the most enduring one for me... but my gripe with the organization as a whole is that it is not taking a more prominent role in social discussions (such as with immigration, child care or poverty issues) that it deals with on a day to day basis... It also doesn't seem to be as environmentally conscious as it could be... but I'm in the process of working with my General Manager to start looking at our waste and energy usage at Scarborough... hopefully its a model that can be used at other Y's...

Architecturally the building works quite nicely on the inside, but it is bland at best on the outside.

That is a widespread criticism of Diamond's work. I heard it from several local architects ( who admire his work and fully acknowledge his significance ) over the weekend, and from a former city planner I got into a heated discussion about the opera house with recently.

Back