News   Apr 25, 2024
 456     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 675     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Here are the station interiors.
IMG_2447.jpeg
IMG_2448.jpeg

so it looks like the entire line for the most part is complete and ready to go pending final testing and training of operators.... far cry from the debacle that is line 5.
Considering the track has now been certified for "Design speed train movement" they're now essentially at the meat and potatoes of the systems testing which they haven't communicated the progress of

Saw this in the CLC, just to give a perspective of how much bigger the lrt is compared to a bus.

View attachment 557714
I love this picture, and I've saved it for future arguments about bus vs. LRT capacity. (Largely for Hamilton where people still think just more buses will meet the needs of an over capacity bus line).

As much as these LRT’s are long… they’re not too wide I side. Because the floors are low for accessibility reasons; a lot of the seats sit in what are called boggie boxes. Which mesns they’re sort of raised up inside with sometimes narrow aisles.

I love this picture, and I've saved it for future arguments about bus vs. LRT capacity. (Largely for Hamilton where people still think just more buses will meet the needs of an over capacity bus line).

Hamilton probably would do better with BRTs on 2 to 3 parallel roadways each running 5 minute frequencies. A single LRT is quite a bit cheaper, both to build and operate, than multiple BRT routes of similar combined capacity.

Finch had very few alternatives to provide additional capacity seeing as local buses had already reached 45 second headways during peak.

Last edited:
As much as these LRT’s are long… they’re not too wide I side. Because the floors are low for accessibility reasons; a lot of the seats sit in what are called boggie boxes. Which mesns they’re sort of raised up inside with sometimes narrow aisles.
You'd still need 1 60' bus to arrive at a stop every 100 seconds in each direction to attain the same capacity as 1 of these Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs every 5 minutes

You'd still need 1 60' bus to arrive at a stop every 100 seconds in each direction to attain the same capacity as 1 of these Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs every 5 minutes
You are saving 2 buses and 7 drivers for each tram.

Once the ridership exceeded the 5-minute schedule, you reduce the headway until you need to add a second car that will save more buses and drivers.

You are saving 2 buses and 7 drivers for each tram.

Once the ridership exceeded the 5-minute schedule, you reduce the headway until you need to add a second car that will save more buses and drivers.
I’m pretty sure the ends are the same but there are two types of middle sections. A long and short. And I’m pretty sure you can add another long segment between the short section and an end.

I’m pretty sure the ends are the same but there are two types of middle sections. A long and short. And I’m pretty sure you can add another long segment between the short section and an end.
Yes, Wikipedia suggests that the Finch vehicles are configured as cab + intermediate + long + cab and will have a capacity of between 300 and 340, depending on internal configuration.

According to Alstom back in 2008, you add I section to the car, but can the existing platforms handle them?

Back