News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Melbourne - Spencer Street Station

^^^Oh yeah, they do have one of the highest per-capita rates of redneck racism. Thanks. I feel quite a bit better.

tayser2,

I was following the progress on the station from the local Melbourne newspapers.

From what I read it was suppose to be opened two years ago, and as you mentioned the delay was caused by the fact the station remained opened during construction.

Also, I've read the Premier is under fire recently about the value of P3 partnerships including this project.

All that aside, I believe it's a fantastic project for Melbourne, something to be truly proud of. I'm glad your government officials resisted calls for building "a normal roof" for far less money, and instead invested in a beautiful piece of urban infrastructure.

Louroz

I was in Berlin, here are some photos of their fabulous station in progress. You can get off the U-Bahn there, but the train platforms aren't functional. There are two office buildings that straddle the train sheds.

Berlin1.jpg

Berlin2.jpg

Berlin3.jpg

Berlin4.jpg

Berlin5.jpg

Berlin6.jpg

Damn. So nice. I'm even sadder now than I was after reading about the Melbourne station. We are nowhere near this type of commitment to public transit.

Sigh...

I know what you mean. Makes me want to pick up and move to Europe. I can get a UK ancestry visa, and in 4 years apply for citizenship. Then, with a UK passport, I could work anywhere in the EU. I imagine riding the Paris Metro or the Brussels trams to work everyday...

Compounding the sadness are the old-school TTC colours here...
Berlin1.jpg

Back