News   Oct 11, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 714     0 

McMansion up in smoke

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think fire makes a better architectural critic than Sgt. Cole.

Mansion wrecked in blaze

(For pic, follow link)

Jul 11, 2007 08:30
Tamsyn Burgmann
Staff Reporter

A large mansion on Harrison St., in the area of Bayview Ave. and York Mills Rd., suffered extensive damage in a three-alarm fire that started just after 3 a.m. today.

City fire fighters were kept busy knocking down the large residential fire that’s since been brought under investigation by the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office.

“The place is done,†said Staff Sgt. Donald Cole, shortly after surveying the scene. “It’s a really nice place, it’s got to be a million dollar home.â€

Cole said he watched flames tear through the roof and second floor of the home.

“It took a substantial amount of time to knock (the fire) down,†he said.

No one was hurt in the fire and the cause has yet to be determined.

I'm sure they have insurance. - and enough cash for a few nights accomodation at the Westin Prince Hotel down the street.
It depends. The owner usually doesn't get insurance until they get possession from the builder, unless they were building it themselves, and thus had better have vacant property insurance.

As for the previous comment, I don't know why we have so much disdain for the wealthy. If the Peter Munk's of Canada can make millions in business and then generously give millions to hospital research and care, then I say that's a good thing.

^I think he may be refering to the architecture which at least isn't as bad as the beige stucco behemoth Baghai has made his millions off of to date

It's still someone's home.
Though given the who-builds-McMansions stereotype, it's easy to be curious whether there was some kind of slimy deliberate motive, self-inflicted or not (insurance fraud, etc)

Not that there *was*. Just that, being a McMansion...

There's a few reallllllly nice McMansions around Bayview & York Mills and down in Hogg's Hollow...the one that burned down wasn't too bad, kind of inoffensive.

Back