News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 546     0 

Markham Tour Part 2: Markham Centre update

W

wyliepoon

Part two of the tour of Markham: Markham Centre and Downtown Markham

The Civic Centre of the Town of Markham (aka the Anthony Roman Centre) is located on the northwest corner of Highway 7 and Warden Avenue. Next to the Civic Centre is the Markham Theatre and Unionville High School. The complex was designed and built way before the New Urbanism that Markham is into today became trendy, and the site of the Civic Centre shows... the Civic Centre is set far back from the street, with a large pond, trees and lawns separating the building from the street. On the other side of the Civic Centre is a massive parking lot that separates it from Town Centre Blvd.

Across Highway 7 from the Civic Centre, the Hilton Suites Hotel (with a large clock, making it the landmark highrise of the entire Markham Centre area) and the Liberty Square office park (under construction) next door, are also set far back from the street. Hilton Suites is a much older building (although it looks very new) so I can understand the reason for the setback, but the same cannot be said for Liberty Square.

P1050205.jpg

Tridel Circa condos... a very unique condo tower design

P1050206.jpg

Liberty Square offices under construction

P1050207.jpg

Civic Centre, with reflection pond

P1050210.jpg

P1050211.jpg

P1050212.jpg

Intersection of Warden and Highway 7 from the Civic Centre park... look at the lawn separating the Civic Centre from the intersection, and the farm on the other side of the intersection!

P1050213.jpg

P1050214.jpg

Markham Bicentennial monument- in the shape of a schoolhouse

P1050215.jpg

P1050216.jpg

Markham Theatre and Unionville HS- clad in concrete and blue and purple glass

P1050217.jpg

Hilton Suites Hotel

P1050218.jpg

Eternal flame at the Civic Centre- barely burning today

P1050219.jpg

The other side of the Civic Centre, showing parking lots

P1050220.jpg

Entrance to Markham Theatre

Then miketoronto and I made a short stop at the Downtown Markham sales office. Downtown Markham, if built completely, will become the pièce de résistance of Markham's new urbanist development.

Mike was impressed by the size and layout of the well-furnished model suite of the Rouge Bijou, the first mid/high-rise released in the development. I liked the suite too, and I admired the Art Deco model of the Bijou.

P1050230.jpg

Exterior of the Downtown Markham sales office on Enterprise Dr (a future main street). Despite Remington Group's (the developer) use of urbanism as a selling point for DM, I was somewhat disappointed that the office is located far from the nearby Vivastation. Almost all the people who visit the sales centre drove.

P1050229.jpg

First piece of the puzzle down for Downtown Markham... the Motorola building at Warden and Enterprise.

P1050228.jpg

Grading and excavation at the Downtown Markham site. The farmhouse in the photo will be saved and integrated into a park in the project.

P1050224.jpg

Sales office interior. Urban sounds like people chatting in a cafe and birds chirping are pumped through speakers to create the sense of urbanity.

P1050225.jpg

Model of the development

P1050222.jpg

View looking east

P1050223.jpg

View from the northeast

P1050226.jpg

Models of townhomes and the Rouge Bijou, currently on sale

P1050227.jpg

Model of the Rouge Bijou

From your shots, there are more geese than people in Markham Centre.

Wow, MCC actually has more people than another place. Who da' thunk it.

I quite like the look of the tridel condo in the first pic. I think is perfect height for the area in general.

From the model 'view from northeast', I am having a hard time picturing it + the surronding area. From the near side, with all of the trees, it looks like a secluded community.

There are parts of Markham where you need a helicopter to get around.

With Mississauga as my point of reference I always get a little defensive about blanket criticism of the 905, but the more I see of the rest of it, the better I understand the knee-jerk negativity.

Wow. Just wow.

P1050206.jpg

I love the bench :)

I guess that bench, is a new style of park minimalism.

Could be worse. Like a parking lot.

I've biked in the area a few times and have even stopped in the shopping plaza on the north-east side of Warden and Highway 7. The No Frills and Unionville High has a lot of life at certain times, and Highway 7 can get more congested than downtown streets.

Back