News   Jul 18, 2024
 292     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 442     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 818     0 

Make Front St a Pedestrian Thoroughfare...

MarketMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Though I find the changes on Jarvis ill advised I do believe that we need to make some Toronto infrastructure changes.

I'd like to propose the closure of Front St. in both direction between Church and Jarvis every Saturday and Sunday (say from Victoria day to Labour day) to facilitate pedestrian traffic in and around the Markets and shops.

This poses zero inconvenience to drivers as there aren't any driveways along that stretch nor is there much street parking anyway that isn't easily absorbed by the numerouns public lots in the area.

This idea is inspired by the Sunday closing of the main street in the Ginza shopping district of Tokyo, Japan. It becomes very vibrant and teaming with pedestrians.

Anyways, that my two cents.

Who's with me?

Great idea - so many people cross back and forth between the North & South Markets that it's a natural fit for closing to traffic.

They close this stretch for Buskerfest and it's quite nice (Actually, I think they close it from Jarvis to Yonge).

Actually, that would be really cool. There's already a lot of disruption already, and simply closing it on the weekends would make it easier to shop.

It's a good idea, especially since Front is less of a thoroughfare than other streets.

I wonder about Sunday, though, since the market is closed then (and there is only the antique market open).

891236366_7de5cd308e_o.jpg

Not a bad idea at all. We need more of these kinds of "part time pedestrian areas". I think the car gets too much focus or importance in downtown streets. On streets where you can get anywhere by streetcar or transit, more focus should be on pedestrian traffic.

Back