News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Luxe Condo (NYCC, Menkes, 22 + 24s, Bigauskas)

construction of south tower is completed and occupancy has begun ... Menkes generally builts a pretty solid product (if that is what you are asking)

Dec 01

One more visit and time to put it to bed for visits.

They were doing the sidewalk on Monday. Still not impress.
IMG_dec-01-09-0119.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0120.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0121.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0130.jpg

I had higher hopes for this one. I thought the glass was going to be really blue, like Accolade or Ultra Ovation. Disappointing!

in all fairness to Menkes' defense the original rendering was deipicting the building in sunset lighting ... hence the colours were more blue-ish than real

further, had LUXE been true blue like Accolade ... some would have freaked out and trashed it anyways, just like the comments that were made on Accolade :rolleyes: ... you just can't win ~

ie:
interesting for maybe 2002 however, blue spandrel and probably glass (to follow) has lost almost all its appeal since (at least, IMHO)

It looks like that blue insulating wrap in the sun

First time I'd been by this site, and I must say: ugly! I think Murano-style buildings would be better suited to this area, instead of cheesy crap like this blue condo.

I've seen it three times and still think it looks like a tower made out of vapour barrier. Just far, far too much spandrel glass.

While we were all nutso for the over the counter blue glass during the green glass era, I think I actually prefer the look of the green. The blue glass just doesn't blend as well with the most commonly used colours and materials. (save aluminum)

My photos should explain my reasons....you either "get it" or you don't, sorry to be an aesthetic snob.:)

Accolade tries to stand out using blue glass, but because it's your basic precast/concrete c.2005 Toronto condo by B.Varacalli (a mediocre "architect"), it ends up being a cheap attempt at something different.

I have the feeling that if aA/Nomade/Saucier+Perotte designed a blue glass condo tower, it would be an entirely different ballgame.

From a snobby pov, Accolade is an F while Murano is an A. (Accolade is to Home Depot what Murano is to Alessi....)

And btw, I had never been to Don Mills and Eglinton area before, so I was surprised: it is not dreary and in fact has tons of potential! Which is why I found Accolade so depressingly wrong! DM/E area needs lower rise Rezen/Mozo/Ideal massing/architecture/buildings, not suburban towers-with-a-driveway like it's getting now.:(

I haven't paid any attention to this thread before, but this project looks really good in my eyes. It seems to meet the street well. I like the gentle curves of the glass around the corners of the building. The balconies fit in well and the glass goes all the way to the top of the building (as seen on the building on the right in the last picture above).

Doesn't this building fail in terms of wind reduction? The builidings are flush with the podium and not set back a bit so I believe this means any wind from the West will hit the buildings and go straight down to the street (instead of hitting the top of a podium).

This lack of set back also means the buildings will tower more prominently over pededstrians at street level. With a slight set-back pedestrians would have had the illusion of a more typical streetscape.

For these 2 reasons, I'm giving this project a thumbs down.

Back