1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Looking for examples of condos built around churches

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm looking for examples, with images of churches in Toronto that sold off some of their land and built modern condos around the church. Specifically the churches should be historically protected and remain as a church after the construction.

To clarify I'm NOT looking for examples of where churches were converted themselves into condos, or where the church remained as house of worship with the original church facade incorporated into the condo.

A good example of what I am looking for is the Church of the Redeemer, where they kept the historic church but built on the land around it.

Does Church of the Holy Trinity (behind the Eaton's Centre) count, even though it's not surrounded by Condos?

I won't count it out, but I'm more seeking churches like Church of the Redeemer, where the church sold off some land and a mid to large sized commercial or residential structure was built around the church. Doesn't have to be condos, but a Eaton Centre scale shopping mall is beyond the scale I'm seeking examples of.

I believe the church on Leslie north of Queen (south of Dundas? I think) did this to build a senior's home or assisted living apartments. Another example would be across from Pape subway station where they built a much taller tower -- 12-15 stories maybe.

St. James’s Episcopal Church in Cambridge Mass. is one that comes to mind. The condo hasn't been started yet (I don't believe) but here's the article about the condo's approval
http://www.cambridgeday.com/2010/07...h-commission-oks-condos-around-porter-church/

It really is too bad that these things happen. I think a lot of people only look at religious sites as, well... religious sites, rather than as important service providers for the local community and in the case of old religious sites, they're important for historical reasons as well. I guess having a condo wrapped around them is better than losing them all together, but it's a short term fix really. I know Quebec has started providing some funding to churches and if we don't start doing the same (particularly with our oldest sites) we're going to lose very important pieces of our communities.

(and I'm not even religious at all. Haven't stepped in a church for a religious reason since I was about 2 years old)

Last edited:
the U condo at St. Mary and Bay is sort of like what your talking about, its not built yet, but the condos will be right up close to St. Basil's on what was the church parking lot. there's a thread somewhere in here about

Back