News   Jul 29, 2024
 620     0 

Lofts have sense of place

G

ganjavih

Lofts have sense of place

Wrigley Lofts is not fancy, but has a sense of place

CHRISTOPHER HUME

It'll be a long time before the east-end warehouse district becomes fashionable, but make no mistake about it — the process has started.

Take, for example, the loft renovation at 245 Carlaw Ave., the former Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. building.

Though this five-storey brick box can't be described as beautiful, it's a thoroughly urban structure that lives up to its civic responsibilities.

It contributes to the streetscape and helps establish a strong sense of place.

Wrigley Lofts isn't fancy, but it's interesting to see how even secondary industrial buildings such as this were once taken seriously enough to be decorated.

Here that translates into a façade enlivened with masonry detailing and large windows.

The bulk of the complex is a one-storey structure running along the east side of Carlaw.

The four-floor section on top matches a similar structure to the south.

This symmetry makes the ensemble considerably more imposing than it would otherwise be.

The renovation, more internal than external, leaves the building intact while bringing it new life.

GRADE: B

030128_condo_wrigley_250.jpg

RICHARD LAUTENS/TORONTO STAR
The Wrigley lofts at 245 Carlaw Ave. are in the former Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. building. The renovation leaves the industrial façade intact.

I know someone that lives in this building.

It's quite beautiful - the entrance foyer of the building looks original with all the brass hardware on the doors and staircases. And the units have 18 foot ceilings... well, the unit that I visited anyway. Elevator is puny which is definitely original to the building.

But it doesn't look like it's been recently renovated, so I wonder why he wrote this article now.

I love lofts, I'd consider living in this building if I could afford it a unit. And I say that not even knowing how much they're going for.

Wasn't this conversion a while ago? I've been in one of the PH units, very nice and HUGE ceilings.

Wrigley Unit 4 Sale

There's one for sale now. Check out mls.ca

Does anyone live at Wrigley Lofts?

Hello,

I'm loooking to buy in Wrigley lofts, I have viewed a few units, but am wondering about the heating and cooling of those units. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm loooking to buy in Wrigley lofts, I have viewed a few units, but am wondering about the heating and cooling of those units. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

It's a radiator for heating (with no valve, unless you are on the top floor), and you have to use an approved portable air conditioning unit (no central air).

It's really hardcore loft living.

But the great thing about it is the raw space. HUGE ceilings. You can make the place look really nice.

Back