499     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 612     1 

List of Cabbagetown Restaurants

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Check out http://www.oldcabbagetown.com/entmnt_restaurants.php?sort=1 for a list of Cabbagetown's restaurants. One notable exception seems to be Rashna, which was the reason I was searching the site.

My wife and I will try to visit one restaurant from the list each week or so. It's important to support your local businesses.

Went to the Laurentian Room for a late meal a while back. The food was okay. The weird part was when women began to dance on the tables and the bar. We finally discovered that it was some sort of party. The trouble was that they took over the entire room.

Went to the Laurentian Room for a late meal a while back. The food was okay. The weird part was when women began to dance on the tables and the bar. We finally discovered that it was some sort of party. The trouble was that they took over the entire room.
My wife and I tried to go there tonight and it was closed for renos. The place just opened, what's to reno?

Has anyone tried Rashnna, which is reported to have some of the best Sri Lankan food in the city, check them out at http://www.rashnaa.com/ ??

^ I used to order delivery from there often. Delish! Watch the heat, though - South Indian can be very, *very* hot, by any standard. 5-alarm sting-ring alert.

I love some of the comments they have on that website:
"So get your taste buds ready for a real soccer!"

I'm assuming something was lost in translation.

I went to Rashnna on Friday night for dinner with a few friends. The food was very good and I like the spice, but it was hot as Hades in there, and the service was decidedly unsmiling and there was no sense of welcoming when we came in nor thanks on our exit. The Sri Lankan stout was excellent (IIRC, that's were Guinness got the recipe). Due to the heat, we left after the main course and walked down to Peartree for desert and drinks, which were very nice, along with great service.

We tried to go to Jet Fuel for coffee but they were closed, which was odd since it was only 8:30pm on a Friday.

Big Mama's Boy

Recently went there for brunch. The rice flour pancakes were light and fluffy and the maple syrup was delicious. The service was excellent - beyond excellent and the atmosphere was very cozy. Oh bugger, am I suddenly channeling Joanne Kates?

No, because if you were Joanne Kates you'd have said it was terrible because Jamie Kennedy does not cook there.

What are the impressions of the Town Grill?

I've been there once, but at a closed event, and I remember the food being good, but not amazing, but the atmosphere being quite lovely. However, I was probably had my mind more on the company at my table (including a Federal party leader and his very political wife) at the time.

The Peartree has great brunch on the weekend and a relaxing, private patio out back.

What are the impressions of the Town Grill?

I've been there once, but at a closed event, and I remember the food being good, but not amazing, but the atmosphere being quite lovely. However, I was probably had my mind more on the company at my table (including a Federal party leader and his very political wife) at the time.
Pricey for what you get, IMO. They also need a gendarmes at the front to keep the flower merchants out.

I much prefer Peartree. My kids were amused last winter when a racoon watched us eat from above the solarium in back.

No wonder they watched - the food there isn't fit for raccoons, let alone humans.

Last night after the gallery openings ( painter Shara Hughes at Parts on Queen West and photographer Duncan McLaren at Jet Fuel ) We Three Queens went to the Peartree. My friends had been there before, long ago, but I never had. It was too hot on the patio so we sat inside, admiring the rundown shabby un-chic decor and the general clutter. Our main courses were barely passable. The other two gave up on their stale desserts and I picked at mine gamely - a supposed cheesecake with a smearing of cherry-flavoured goo that looked like the glassy eye of something that had died in the sun several days before.

Hmmm, that's disappointing about the Peartree. I've only ever done the brunch thing at Peartree, been going there for 3 or 4 years now and it's always been great but I guess it's kind of hard to screw up fresh fruit, eggs & sausage.

The sushi restaurant on Carlton one block west of Parliament is quite nice.

Sushi Today was much better than that place. Sushi Today was the best Godamn Sushi place in Toronto (value-wise). But like that, poof, it was gone...

Anyone know what happened?

Provence: Great food, but they need to start changing the menu. Pricey.

Rashnaa: More great food at 1/2 the price! If you aren't good with spices, ask for mild.

Tim Horton's: The chili might be my best friend.

Coffee-time: Was given a death sentence when Timmy's opened, but remains defiant on life support. If you are overweight and ride one of those electric wheelchair thingies, this is the place for you.

Ginger's: Good value. They claim to be a healthy choice, but the food isn't nearly as healthy as one might think. They also tend to overdue the sauce. But, they did Cabbagetown a huge service by opening in that spot, with the great garage-door concept, so I'll let it slide.

Town Grill: Excellent food, nice decor (thanks to Restaurant Makeover), but pricey.

The Coubourg: Too pretentious to get a sign.

Back