News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 885     0 

Layton critiques Martin's "new deal" for cities...

Re: Layton critiques Martin's "new deal" for citie

Now that you mention it, I thought Paul Martin IS conservative.

There is still one more to blame.

GB

Let's hope Miller can hold Martin's feet to the fire!

Actually, I am more concerned about your ability to hold him to fire instead, given, you know, he is a conservative...

GB

I really hope the NDP does well in the next election. I'd love to see a strong left that keeps the Liberals in line. Unfortunately, this is filled with factual errors and exaggerations, which really hurts their credibility.

refused to help deliver clean water and maintained the shame of Canada being the only G-8 country not to fund public transit.

That's really sketchy. The federal government is constitutionally barred from interfering with matters of a purely local nature in the province. Though the TTC is very important to Toronto, and Toronto is a very important city, it's hard to argue that the service isn't local. Same goes for the water supply. In fact, over the past decades the provinces have refused direct federal funding for municipal projects, and it wasn't a serious issue because the provinces funded the programs adequately themselves. Unfortunately, now they're short of money and the federal government is now the bad guy for not funding it. The provinces have every ability to raise taxes or reallocate spending if they feel they don't have enough money. Still, I think it's wrong that the feds don't contribute, and I think the money is desperately needed and should come right now. To say it's somehow unfair is quite unreasonable. We have a different system from all of the other G8 countries.

Nothing's changed. In his first month on the job, Prime Minister Martin's priorities are more corporate tax cuts

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice any new corporate tax cuts that he's proposed.

And he has entered talks on joining a dangerous, $1 trillion-Star Wars missile defence program that would cost Canada $10 billion if we were told to contribute only 1 per cent of the cost.

This is the most blatant exaggeration in the whole piece. The trillion dollar pricetag was for Reagan's plan in the 1980s. It's a completely different program. I think the Americans are throwing away money on missile defence, but it's still only a $60-100 billion program. Most importantly, there's no indication that Canada will be required to provide anything other than moral support (which isn't so bad: I'd say to save our moral opposition for matters that will truly hurt other people and the international system, like the Iraq war). Even if Canada were asked to make a contribution, it would certainly be a token amount of a few million dollars.

Instead, we're told municipalities may get a bigger GST refund. This is good, but not great. The City of Toronto alone has paid $500 million in GST since Martin became finance minister. A full refund would provide about $49 million a year, which will still leave the TTC underfunded and a housing crisis in place.

He makes this sound like pocket change, but $49 million a year would go a long way to funding the TTC! Still, they should be given the gas tax money. If the tax has to be raised, so be it. I can't imagine anyone would notice a two cent hike in the gas tax when the price fluctuates by ten cents or more in a week.

It's not naive to believe David Miller or Hazel McCallion would cry bloody murder if McGuinty received federal gas tax money and refused to pass it along to municipalities.

Layton, dangerously for a national leader, fails to recognize that there are other cities in Canada that are short on funds outside of the Toronto area. It is not naive at all to believe that the province of Quebec would withold federal funding to its cities. They are presently rejecting direct federal funding to municipalities. As well, Lastman cried bloody murder all the time about provincial underfunding of Toronto. How much did that help?

Layton has a very good point, though. The federal government does have money, and this is about the biggest priority, except perhaps health care, that they should have. Yes, ahead the crisis that the farmers that contribute 0.5% of our GDP are facing this week. Unfortunately, his very correct point is lost in a morass of exaggeration.

Layton, dangerously for a national leader, fails to recognize that there are other cities in Canada that are short on funds outside of the Toronto area
I don't think this is very accurate and that in fact Layton "gets it" quite well with regards to the funding problems in municipalities across the country. His recent tenure as President of the Canadian Federation of Municipalities is often credited with finally getting urban issues into the minds of our MPs in Ottawa and on to editorial pages across the country.

I don't doubt that if you applied that level of critique against almost any political article or opnion piece you could find just as many problems. It's not as if he pulled any figures out of his ass or anything.

Layton's message appears to be finding sympathy in the West, of all places. Possibly because he's being bolstered by Bill Blakie and Lorne Nystrom. The NDP are performing at a respectable 22% throughout the Prairie provinces (most of that support concentrated in Saskatchewan and Manitoba) and in BC, once thought to be a part of the Alliance heartland, the NDP lead the new Conservatives in second place with 27% of the vote, compared to 20% (the Liberals are in first with 47%).

The only dropping place appears to be Atlantic Canada, where the NDP continue to stagnate at 11% (down from 16% during the last federal election). They are pouring their resources in to keep their four seats, but it's going to be a hard slog. Alexa doesn't seem to have the Atlantic magic she used to.

All of this suggests that the NDP could get as much as 20 seats in the West. In BC, they may replace the Alliance as the "party against the system". If they somehow keep their 4 Atlantic seats and take 5-7 seats in urban Ontario, they're sitting pretty at 29 -- a performance comparable to their standing in the 1980s.

I'm pretty sure the Conservatives won't take more than 40 seats. Their support is in free fall out west in every province except Alberta. Their support is a lacklustre 18% in Ontario. They've made some surprising gains in Atlantic Canada (where it appears to be a two-party race), but they will probably be shut out of Quebec.

It's entirely possible they may get fewer seats than the NDP. In my opinion, a good thing. The Conservatives need to go through a cathartic destruction in order to start a true rebuilding in time for the 2008 election. Bernard Lord refuses to lead the party now, but that is because if he wants to duplicate his New Brunswick magic, the Conservatives have to be utterly destroyed, so that he can pick up the pieces. He can't do that in 2008 if he leads them into that destruction in 2004.

...James

But the Conservatives don't have a leader, and their best option is leading the Liberals.

But the Conservatives don't have a leader, and their best option is leading the Liberals.

I'm inclined to agree with you, for once. The true prospects of the new party are abundantly illustrated by the complete dearth of good candidates in the leadership race. If Harper wins, the merger will be seen as a takeover, but nobody of experience or credibility is facing him. Bernard Lord would have been the best choice, but he's very politically savvy. The fact that the position doesn't tempt him, at the moment, says a lot about the prospects for that position.

The Conservatives have no ground on which to fight this election, other than what was previously occupied by Social Credit.

...James

The Liberals do have a leader, but their best option is leading the NDP.

Back