News   Jul 26, 2024
 258     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 278     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 320     0 

Knowing people by their telephone area codes (416,905,519 etc.)

Long Island Mike

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone: I have noticed over time that some people like to be known for their telephone area codes. In some cases people sometimes judge other people by the area code in which they reside. With all these new area codes that have had to be used in recent years due to the electronics and cellphone boom it seems to have placed a damper on this. There are posts that refer to area codes on this forum as well as members that use area codes in their online names as good examples.

When the Bell System started using area codes every one had to have a 1 or 0 for the middle number and the largest cities-back in rotary phone days-got numbers that had the shortest dial length-212 for NY City and 213 for Los Angeles are the best examples of this. Over time and especially with recent day changes,that area code prestige has changed. Telephone companies have learned that some people take their area code number very seriously.

Some examples I recall are: when the 718 area code was began in the 80s in NYC there were people that were quite upset about losing that familiar 212 phone number. Some people also were thinking that phone companies would charge toll call rates for previous local calls-but that did not happen usually.
I recall watching a dating show-I believe it was Love Connection in the early 90s-watching a young Italian-American male from NYC describe his date with a girl from Long Island that did not go off well. The thing he said that sticks in my mind was "I don't date 516 girls" as a reference to the girl being from LI.
Speaking of LI,when Nassau and Suffolk counties were to be split by area code 10 or so years ago there was a feud of sorts about which county would keep 516-Nassau ended up getting it with Suffolk getting the new 631 area code. I saw first hand how attached some LIers were to that 516 phone area code.

How was it in the Toronto area when the 416 area code was split and the new 905 code began? From what I see,416 is now only the Unified City of Toronto.

Are people in other areas in Ontario known by their area codes-like 519?
How about a major city elsewhere like Montreal with its 514?

I am looking forward to some interesting insight on this here.
Thanks to all in advance-LI MIKE

There is definitely a similar phenomenon here. "905er" is a common slag used to refer to suburbanites to come to the city only to work or to visit occasionally (usually in the context of something like "the entertainment district sucks, it's filled with a bunch of 905ers").

The 416 area code is the longtime downtown area code, but unfortunately, that number range is now full so they've overlaid it with a new area code: 647. I know this bothers people, because various friends of mine who are long time city dwellers have been horrified when they changed cell phone providers and were stuck with a 647 number, usually seen as an indication of someone new to the city. Thankfully, we can now change cell providers and keep our numbers, so those of us who still have a coveted 416 can keep our phone numbers into perpetuity, with our urban gangsta reputations safely intact.

I think it's rather unfortunate that 905 was overlaid instead of being split in two. I would rather have seen Hamilton/Niagara get its own code. Where the codes cover large geographic areas, new lines should be drawn through them. I believe that the 519 is being overlaid now too, but also should have been carved up.

It made more sense to overlay in compact Toronto. Businesses do not want to get stuck with a 647 code, which they consider the number of death. (I assume that's the same with 289 out in the 905.)

After 905 was split off of 416 I got lots of calls to my cell number which were actually meant for the same number in the 905 - from people who did not realize that the business they wanted to call was located beyond TO's sweet, sweet bounds.

I feel sorry for people with 647 (and even more so for 289). I studied memory as part of a cognitive science degree, and most people have a short term memory of 7 items. When we went to 10-digit dialling, it shouldn't have presented as much of a problem as you might think, because we have an ability to "cluster" - to remember groups of things. Thus, a 10-digit phone is fewer than 10 items if you can assume the area code is already known (as in 416), or can remember the area code as one item and perhaps remember the prefix as another single item. That became more complicated with 647 and 289 (which I still can't remember, because so far I don't know anyone with that code).

I was pleased to find that when I got my cell through Telus, they have an online feature which lets you choose and switch your own phone number from a daily list of available numbers. I not only switched my number to a 416 number, but also got one that is really easy to remember.

Business aren't the only ones who don't want to get stuck with a 647 number.

When I switched cell carriers I made sure that I picked up a 416 number. 647 are for chumps, that's the going impression. Well, except for the chumps part.

I think it's rather unfortunate that 905 was overlaid instead of being split in two. I would rather have seen Hamilton/Niagara get its own code. Where the codes cover large geographic areas, new lines should be drawn through them. I believe that the 519 is being overlaid now too, but also should have been carved up.

Totally agree with you on this. Hamilton-Niagara (and possibly Halton) should have gotten its own code, and leave 905 for Peel, York, Durham, Northumberland. 519 (which is getting an overlay) should have been split into Essex-Kent-Lambton-Elgin-Middlesex, and then Brant-Norfolk-Waterloo-Wellington-Perth-Huron-Grey-Bruce. (Oxford could go either way).

The overlays just don't carry the same weight as the 416/905 split. They just don't offer up the easy prejudices so often associated with the older area codes.

When I got my cell phone two years ago, I got a 416 number from Bell. I also got a 416 number for my new Rogers land line as recently as last year. And when I ordered sympatico internet 2 years ago, Bell wasted a perfectly good 416 number on my internet connection that will never see actual "telehpone" use. I now have Rogers internet though.

I'm 647 free, except for my work cell phone which is 647.

289 is just weird!

I have a 647... had the chance to go to a 416 but I wanted to keep my number the same. Im horrible with memorizing numbers so switching would have been a bad idea.

Back