News   May 17, 2024
 799     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 511     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.3K     7 

John Barber on Yorkdale Neon Public Art (Arc en Ciel)

Alvin,

Given the strength of the architecture at BCE place, I think it would have cluttered up the space.

On second thought, you're probably right. The strings of incandescent lighting it has for Christmas is already a pretty good gesture.

Do you know whether the neon piece at Taikoo City in HK is still around - it's right above the skating rink.

Checked my photos from last year, but I don't see it.

The lighting at the fountain in the east end of BCE Place is quite effective at night in creating the forest glade effect.

True dat. And speaking of lighting at BCE place, I have to say that I miss the wonderful trailing light fixture that snaked its way across the top of diners' heads at Masquerade...

...and speaking of Masquerade, I miss all the goofy but comfy chairs and the colourful design, and they made a mean ravioli (and not a bad zabaglione...)

"Then again mall management in this city has a long history of myopic disinterest and/or outright hostility towards anything beyond the borders of their own complexes"

Well, perhaps 75,000 people a week visit Yorkdale via Yorkdale station, so maybe that counts for something. Of course, some of those 75,000 are riff-raff that spend the entire time in the food court or yakking on their cell phones, scaring away the desperate housewives with fat wallets.

Toronto hasn't been kind to the work of Michael Hayden at all, as his York University installation hasn't been working for years either...

HA02.jpg

Beyond the fact that Arc-en-Cielling the Eaton Centre or BCE would be a bit like tying red ribbons around Michael Snow's geese, it also misses the site-specific "kinetic" element at Yorkdale--that is, the neon tubes "moving" with the trains...

Back