News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 570     0 

Janet Rosenberg Lecture

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry about the short notice, but there will be a lecture by Janet Rosenberg, who is one of the more promenant landscape architects in the city, at Ryerson's Architecture building.

If anyone is interested come by the Architecture building today at 6:30pm in the PIT (it's the main room to your right as you walk into the building from Church Street).

Oct04Rosenberg.jpg

Janet Rosenberg
Janet Rosenberg + Associates
Landscape Architects + Urban Designers
Thursday, October 4
6:30 PM
Architecture Building / Ryerson University
325 Church Street, Toronto, Ontario

I love that playground shower. Anyone know where that is?

(post 1000)

Just Googled it - thanks, you're right!

It's the Watering Can Fountain at Franklin Children's Garden, which is on Toronto Island.

the lecture was quite interesting as she showed many of her firm's works. she showed projects from the winery in niagara which has a wonderful open space in the back with the amphitheatre.

they are also doing a plaza between richmond and adelaide with big metallic balls which reflect the sky and sun to bring light into the plaza which will be surrounded by tall buildings. they also want to put in a huge hearth, sort of like a big fireplace, which will bring people out in the winter time.

she also mentioned calgary and the new urban park there which will be connected to a shopping mall comparable to eaton's center.

Pictures from the competition to somehow renew the area of portage and main streets in winnipeg, which is currently not crossable due to traffic.

and then some other more private designs they've done and of course HtO park on the waterfront.

being a student of architecture, i realize that it's very important to create a landscape that's compatible with the people who use that area. her firm's designs bring a very nice compromise between the built form and the surrounding space.

one intereting quote i wrote down was, "one of the most important aspects of working as a landscape architect is working with architects." i think if both disciplines work together more on projects, the outcome will be much more successful.

Back