526     0 

I've seen the future — as T.O. goes broke

B

billy corgan19982

From The Star

I've seen the future — as T.O. goes broke
Feb. 25, 2006. 01:00 AM
ROYSON JAMES

The Day Toronto Goes Broke may be closer than you think — say, four years; five at most.

That's what city officials fear — unless Queen's Park, the "banker of last resort," rescues Canada's largest city and its spiralling $7.7 billion budget.

Failing that, Toronto is on pace to clean out its reserves next year, impose double-digit tax hikes in 2007, bury itself in debt for the foreseeable future and still that won't be enough to forestall bankruptcy.

Legally, the city cannot run a deficit, but without the needed funds, it would be essentially bankrupt.

Then the province would step in and take over.

"I'm nervous after this year," says Joe Pennachetti, the city's deputy manager and chief financial officer. "Very nervous."

"If there's a recession what's going to happen? There's nothing there," adds budget chief David Soknacki, surveying this year's raid on reserve funds to balance the budget.

By 2010, as Vancouver covers itself in Olympic glory, Toronto could be on the brink of insolvency. And residents here will be wondering, "How'd we let this happen?"

In today's GTA section, Paul Moloney outlines how we got to the brink and the bitter medicine needed to avert fiscal disaster. What's clear is we're on the road to financial ruin. A look back to the future reveals a sad, cautionary tale.

On a blustery March day four years hence, a weary David Miller, in the final months of his second term as mayor, emerges from a closed-door meeting with Premier John Tory and it's obvious the news is not good. Battered from the year-long recession that has pushed the provincial deficit to near double digit levels, Tory has told the mayor there are no more bailouts. Toronto must implement the dreaded service cuts its budget chief dismissed in 2006 as "near apocalyptic."

Miller quickly signs the layoff notices for 1,000 workers, something he'd promised to avoid. Workers in nine of the city's 10 homes for the aged are out on the street. They'll have to apply to the new private-sector owners for jobs some of them have held for 20 years.

A year earlier, the city had sold Metro Hall and used the revenue to fix buses and streetcars. Now Exhibition Place is on the block; as is the Hummingbird Centre and the Guild Inn in Scarborough and the Toronto Centre for the Arts in North York. The Toronto Maple Leafs have offered $10 million for the Ricoh Coliseum and the city's interests in the new soccer stadium, both at the Ex.

Council used up its last cash cow in 2009, cashing in the last $330 million of the billion-dollar loan to Toronto Hydro. Some had warned this was akin to selling the furniture to buy groceries. The answer? "What good is furniture if you are starving?"

All garbage collection, except in the downtown, is to be privatized for a potential savings of $20 million. Bus companies are looking to purchase some lucrative TTC routes. The boulevards along those routes are weed-covered. City hall can afford to cut them only once a year. The subway to York University is a distant memory.

Against that backdrop, Miller goes on television with his final state of the city address. In hotels and hostels and watering holes around town, as in Etobicoke bungalows and Rosedale mansions, Toronto hangs on every word.

"My fellow Torontonians," the mayor says, face pale and ashen, his celebrated golden blond locks thinning and showing highlights of grey. "Our city is in a fiscal crisis.

"We arrived here today along a well-known path greased by unenlightened decisions made by a succession of federal and provincial governments. Our destination was predicted; the outcome predictable."

By now, citizens have grown tired of the same sad song. They've already punished every premier responsible — from David Peterson, who started the downloads with the dumping of provincial court costs in the early 1990s, to Bob Rae and Mike Harris, who perfected the destructive technique.

Dalton McGuinty, despite giving Toronto billions of dollars and new taxing powers, was tossed from office in 2007, losing every seat in Toronto. Residents blamed him for the 12 per cent property tax hike that year. He got the boot for his largesse.

It had become clear that even though McGuinty took back the housing and social services Mike Harris dumped on the city in 1998, ("uploaded the download") massive costs were still strangling Toronto.

"Earlier today, I signed layoff notices for some of our most devoted workers. I did it with a heavy heart, as you know. This is not the Toronto we envisioned when you elected me mayor in 2003 and in 2006 to revitalize our city," Miller says.

"Our hands are tied. Payroll must be met. All the low hanging fruits have been picked. From here on in, it'll be blood on the floor. Our options are all limited and painful. We either cut services or raise taxes and user fees, and raise them higher than the current 15 per cent target. That is unsustainable. In essence, we can't afford what we have; we can no longer have what we used to afford.

"Our credit rating is at an all-time low. Borrowing costs have skyrocketed with higher interest rates, a lower credit rating, and ballooning debt levels.

"As you know too well, we have tried to stave off the crisis in a measured, responsible way, hoping to preserve the very things that are of core value to Torontonians. Still, we've had to cut grants to our heroic community and ethnic groups by 80 per cent. Cultural grants to our world-class institutions were all but axed a year after our celebration of the year of culture.

"We have taken the first steps towards privatization of some services, leaving the most vulnerable and strategic ones in government hands. Water services, for example, will be retained for as long as we can. But the revenues from such steps are limited. Road tolls are next.

"This is not the city we once loved. Our resolve must now be to salvage what we can so we can rebuild in the future.

"I have tried with all my might to get a new deal from the province; to get Queen's Park to pay its bills and live up to its responsibilities; to challenge the premier to take back the costs that are burying his capital city; to seek 1 per cent of provincial sales tax revenues that would give us $500 million a year.

"We almost succeeded, but the recession was the final nail. What will follow is not pretty, unless we get outside help.

"I offer you nothing but tough times, higher taxes, fewer services. But with God's grace and your resolve, a stronger Toronto will survive to thrive again.

"Many of us thought this day would never come; and certainly not this soon. Well it's here and city council and I will not rest until we find every tool available to preserve essential services; and keep hope alive.

"Goodnight. Say a prayer for Toronto before you sleep tonight."

As the mayor signs off, civic workers, concerned about jobs and pensions, gather on Nathan Phillips Square for a vigil.

Police, still smarting from the freeze on new police hires since 2006, stand in solidarity.

The "near apocalyptic" cuts were nearer than even budget chief David Soknacki had imagined when he warned of them in 2006. Budget chiefs had cried wolf before. So, few residents bothered themselves about the perpetual warnings.

Now, there'd be hell to pay.

"Everywhere I go, I tell people, `You know what, you're under-taxed.' Whether or not they choose to listen ..." Soknacki's voice trailed off when he said that in 2006.

Four years later these words may also prove prophetic: "It's human nature to believe that bad things won't happen."

Maybe bankruptcy will teach the government a lesson.

We will be on the same page as Detroit which almost went bankrupt and had a state take over.

If Royson James had his way, we'd still be governed by Mel Lastman. I'm surprised he didn't do more to plug Pitfield in that sensationalist piece.

Canada's other large city, Montreal, has a similar debt problem, so Toronto is not alone. Though the origins of the problem are somewhat different, it points to the fact that cities are doing more and more with a restricted tax base. Bad management is one thing, but when upper levels of government drop services onto the cities without adequate funding, then there should be no wonder when it comes to such financial issues.

The city government is just a group of people, not some monolithic organizational entity that can be taught lessons. These individuals in city government won't carry the responsibility of potential bankruptcy, and are not legally charged to do so. Since it is the province that has control over the city, it would have to carry the debt and to decide what to do with it should the city go bankrupt. That would be politically unpopular outside the city, so bankruptcy will not be an option for the provincial government.

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------

"You cannot go to heaven unless you die."

The fatal mistake that will kill the city is the residential property taxes. The fact that they're the lowest in GTA and aren't even being increased to keep up with inflation will kill any chance the city has of even being able to get fully bailed out by the province.

When will people learn raising residential property taxes is not a solution to poor fiscal management. The budget deficit was on the radar screen long before this year and no cost control methods were put in place ie. alternate service delivery, hiring freeze, keeping union demands in check. The folks at city hall have only themselves to blame, hoping that some white knight at Queens Park or Ottawa will save them. Property owners in TO have fought hard to ensure residential property taxes increases are kept at a minimum. It will be the death knell of any mayor in TO who chooses to solve their own incomptence by raising residential property taxes. Miller knows this and can kiss a second term good-bye if he chooses to break his promise of 3%.

^By the same token, the city has been tasked with doing more on its limited municipal tax roles. The so called "who does what" exercise of a few years back was not revenue neutral, and the province came out the winner when compared to the city. And Toronto is not the only city in the province that is struggling with this situation.

When tax generation at upper levels of government nets big surpluses that are not invested in programs and infrastructure, but handed back as tax cuts, then money is simply not going to be invested in high cost items such as transit or basic city infrastructure.

I really could not blame the city if they looked to a federal GST tax cut as an opportunity to raise taxes or add to garbage or water costs. The problem is that the province will probably beat them to it.

Well there is a little blame on both sides. The higher levels of government and the city of Toronto.

We are one city now. Why are we running and paying for civic centres in all the former boroughs? Do we really need an East York Civic Centre anymore? Or a Etobicoke Civic Centre?
Come on. There are things the city is spending money on, that it does not need to.

And there are services the province has downloaded that they should be paying for.

Everyone here is to blame.

We could even say the city could be making more money right now, if it marketed itself better and stopped the business and industrial flight from our city limits. We are losing millions in revenue with the continued loss of employment within our borders. All while the 905 laughs at us, with their zero financial problems.

Hmmmmm....

harpertocity.jpg

Re: I've seen the future � as T.O. goes broke

I think that the cause of many of the problems that the city faces lies in the qualifications of the people who make decisions. Obviously elected officials have to have a say because they represent the people. But there has to be a way of ensuring that certain positions are only filled by those who meet educational or practical experience requirements.

All chairs and a certain percentage of members of all committees should have proper qualifications. Whoever chairs the budget committee should either be a CA or have an MBA. There's no excuse for the chair of the TTC to not have an Engineering degree. Priority for positions like these should go to qualified city councillors, however if a spot cant' be filled, someone should be brought in for a 4 year contract.

As it stands, billions of dollars are being distributed, to some degree, by random people who decided it might be fun to run for council, and that's a big mistake.

Before we talk about inefficiencies at the city level (which obviously exists), does anyone care to point out exactly how much one would save by being "efficient", and more importantly, how much it would help in the current fiscal imbalance?

It's easy to be an armchair accountant, without having to pay the political price of decision making. The joys of the irresponsible electorate.

AoD

There's no excuse for the chair of the TTC to not have an Engineering degree

That's completely unnecessary. Why does having a P.Eng (say in electrical engineering or computer systems) make you more qualified to be TTC chair than someone with a genuine interest in transit? The TTC has enough P.Engs, and that also discounts the roles of planners and others.

I guess they should need a P. Eng to ensure that we keep out ignorant people like David Gunn and stick with enlightened folks like Rick Ducharme.

Back