News   Jul 17, 2024
 945     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Is it time to move to the suburbs?

TKTKTK

Member Bio
Reaction score
A really interesting article from last month's Details (that I've already posted on SSC, though you'll all no-doubt enjoy reading it here too):

Is it Time to Move to the Suburbs?
Homogeneous cities are making the cul de sac the new downtown.

It can start with a stolen car stereo or an upstairs neighbor who sounds like Lord of the Dance. Often it’s the birth of a child that does it. Sometimes it’s just the smells—other people’s cooking, other people’s garbage, other people.

For Mike Marusin, it was “Jump Around†that drove him from the city to the suburbs once and for all.

“I was in a one-bedroom on the North Side of Chicago and these young guys moved in next door and started blasting House of Pain at all hours. I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little space from all this?’â€

And so, five years ago Marusin, then in his late twenties, did what a surprising number of otherwise intelligent, mall-averse Americans are starting to do. He relocated to the land of the cul de sac, the garden gnome, and the 4,500-square-foot starter house. “I didn’t fit the profile of the lawn-obsessed, Escalade-driving suburbanite,†says Marusin, a website developer who drives a Prius and now lives in cushy Naperville, Illinois, with his wife, Liz, an interior designer. “But staying in the city—it was beginning to kill us.â€

To say all the cool people are moving to the ’burbs would be an overstatement. For hard-core city types, the idea of settling in suburbia is a death sentence. Life without 24-hour Thai delivery, backstage passes to the Buckethead show, and the occasional Stan Brakhage retrospective is hardly a life at all.

But in the past decade, the distinction between city and suburb has become blurred. “Commuter towns†in places like northern New Jersey, the eastern shore of Seattle’s Lake Washington, and Orange County, California—once considered cultural Siberia—are now filled with work-from-home hipsters who care about things like independent cinema and what Arianna Huffington has to say. Long-ignored suburban outposts are being rebuilt with cool arts facilities and retro-chic cafés. In short, the things we always thought we needed cities for—decent sesame noodles, fabulous eyewear, lesbians—are now available where once there were only Aunt Goldie and her mahjong group. At the same time, America’s cities are becoming perversely suburban. Downtowns are being sanitized by wealthy residents who are pricing out the stragglers and bringing in block after block of Equinoxes, Starbucks, and Jamba Juices (behold the plan to open a Crocs shop in New York’s SoHo).

“From a cultural standpoint, cities are becoming less interesting and the suburbs are increasingly where the action is,†says Joel Kotkin, author of The City: A Global History. “Partly because of the freedom the Internet gives us, but also because cities have become homogenized, inhospitable, and expensive beyond belief, people now live by the ethos of ‘everywhere a city,’ even if they’re in an outer ring, an outer-outer ring, or beyond.â€

Since 1950, more than 90 percent of growth in U.S. metropolitan areas has occurred in the ’burbs. That outward push accounts for the millions of tract homes on postage-stamp parcels of land that housed the baby boomers and their kids. But what those numbers don’t reveal is how America’s suburbs are maturing and, dare we say, becoming more inviting.

After decades of living in New York and L.A., Dade Hayes, an editor and author, recently did the unthinkable: He bought a house in Larchmont, New York, a mile from where he grew up. “When I was a kid, Larchmont was a sleepy town where the most interesting restaurant was probably Charlie Brown’s,†he says. “Now there are late-night martini bars, a singles scene, an indie movie house a town over—and all without the glorious urine stench you get in Manhattan.â€

Once upon a time, the best you could hope for in suburbia was a coffee shop that spelled espresso without an x. Now some of the best food in Boston, for instance, actually comes from Food Network star Ming Tsai’s Blue Ginger restaurant in suburban Wellesley. Formerly vapid Costa Mesa, California, is now, according to a recent article in the New York Times, “a cultural beacon, with a gleaming concert hall, art galleries and theater stages that have become breeding grounds for Broadway.†In the river towns north of Manhattan, one can spend a day at the Dia:Beacon galleries, surrounded by works by Richard Serra and Donald Judd, before attending a forum on poststructuralism at the Hudson Valley Writers’ Center in Sleepy Hollow. Which is not to downplay the sophisticated good times unfolding in new “anti-suburbs†like Hercules, California, a reinvented San Francisco bedroom community that recently banned Wal-Mart in an effort to preserve what media critic and author Douglas Rushkoff calls “the sanctity of local reality.†Then there’s Wilton Manors, outside Fort Lauderdale, a mostly gay suburb that is the second city in the United States to have a gay majority on the city council.

“Much of what’s driving the exodus of hypereducated, interesting people from cities is economic,†says Rushkoff, who recently abandoned his beloved Brooklyn “space†for upstate New York. His move was prompted by his becoming a parent. In an urban landscape where even squalid apartments go for $1,000 a square foot and private preschools cost as much as Harvard’s tuition did a generation ago, it’s hard to live a grown-up life with style. “The converted warehouses and districts you’d want to live in have been taken over by stockbrokers and other drones nobody wants to spend five minutes with,†Rushkoff says. “You have to choose: Do I want to live in a cool place and work my ass off or do I want to live a great life somewhere else?â€

The model of the city as patchwork, which so many urban dwellers see as a point of pride, is quickly becoming a relic of the past. “When you have Crate & Barrel and Whole Foods on every other corner, you don’t have the same sense of place, the sense that this block is distinct from that block, the way you did even 20 years ago,†Kotkin says. “The real diversity now is in suburban strip malls, where those who aren’t super-wealthy have been displaced and where you now find an East Indian barber next to a Persian grocer next to a young guy from a good East Coast college who’s selling earth-friendly furniture. And all that is next to the coolest Hindu temple you’ve ever seen.â€

To be clear, this is not a blanket endorsement of suburbia. Throw a dart at an American subdivision and you’re likely to find spiritually desperate mall devotees or at least a pack of sullen teens driving around in Daddy’s Hummer. But for every Sam’s Club shopper or Curves gym regular, there’s also someone out there redefining what it means to live a suburban life. Across America, towns and sometimes just tracts within towns are being rebuilt and reclaimed in all sorts of novel ways, and those developments hint at what future suburbs might look like.

The tech-minded populace of Bellevue, Washington, near Seattle, turned that dull stretch into an eco-hipster Eden with 2,700 acres of new parkland. On the fringes of Boulder, Colorado, the new Main Street North district converted an abandoned drive-in theater into a funky hood full of restaurants, shops, and affordable houses you’d actually want to live in. Then there are the communities within suburban communities that draw Dwell-reading design snobs (that magazine, by the way, is about to publish its first-ever suburbia issue), like the meticulously rehabbed fifties tract homes east of Los Angeles and San Francisco designed by Joseph Eichler, George and Robert Alexander, and other fussed-over architects. “Once your house has some architectural appeal and your neighbors care about aesthetics, it raises the experience above suburbia,†says Paul Costa, who lives in an Eichler home in Sunnyvale, Calfornia, and rides his Segway to work at nearby Apple, where he designs iMacs. “Suburbia,†he says, “is a state of mind. It’s as cool as you want it to be.â€

In fact, in the not-so-distant future, suburbs might be all about the mind-set. One concept spreading through urban-renewal circles is to develop communities from scratch for like-minded citizens in conventional subdivisions in suburban areas. Robert McIntyre, an urban planner from Austin, Texas, devised this concept of “new villages,†where jobs, food, water, and energy would all come from within the community. “Most of these towns will be small, located near cities, and resemble the dispersed agricultural vllages that were common in the 1700s,†McIntyre says. In other words, suburbs might just go back to where we all started: the city. That’s good news for urbanistas. If nothing else, towns like those might create a little more room for those of us who aren’t budging from our rent-controlled fifth-floor walk-ups.

I don't disagree with the article, though I'm not ready to move back to the 'burbs myself. A friend and I were driving through Mimico - and it seemed like such a perfect future little urban-suburb.

I would like to move to Mimico some day.

Easy access to Mississauga or downtown...

I went through the same thing about a year ago, and moved from downtown to midtown. I love that my new neighbourhood has most of the amenities of downtown, is within a stone's throw of it, but lacks the sketchiness, homelessness, crime, noise, and crowds that can make downtown living tough sometimes. I don't think I'd want to live south of Bloor again, though I wouldn't rule it out completely at this point in time.

I like that I can stand on my balcony and see trees everywhere, or walk down a nearby street witih single family homes and lawns. Midtown is clean and quiet, the people seem more familiar, and the worst homeless person you'll encounter is that guy south of St. Clair that wants help "focusing on a sandwich".

HaHa You guys are joking right? As if midtown or even Mimico qualify as moving out of the city!

I went through the same thing about a year ago, and moved from downtown to midtown. I love that my new neighbourhood has most of the amenities of downtown, is within a stone's throw of it, but lacks the sketchiness, homelessness, crime, noise, and crowds that can make downtown living tough sometimes. I don't think I'd want to live south of Bloor again, though I wouldn't rule it out completely at this point in time.

The thing is, the above article does not even reflect the apparent qualities of the location you have chosen. They are seriously selling the deep suburbs on the basis of strip mall diversity, the spread of chain stores, cheap housing and suburban parks.

Moving into my mid 30s I am seeing first hand the exodus of my friends; those who even two years ago swore allegiance to hip city living are suddenly moving to the burbs. But is always reluctantly, with reservations, and in almost every case it is for the same reason: baby came, the condo was suddenly too small, and buying a house downtown in a neighbourhood where you'd actually want your kid to attend school is not a practical option for anyone who can't secure a mortgage of at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a million dollars.

Are these people moving to the suburbs because they really want to, or are they being forced to move there and then realizing that it's not really quite as bad as they envisioned? There's a difference.

Sure, some areas of suburbia are pretty cool, but these are exceptions to the rule. When I visit family in outer suburbia, I still pass through endless miles of repeating chain stores, parking lots, and last week's farmland covered in thousands of identical depressing brick boxes. We still have a long way to go before most of suburbia is converted into any semblance of higher density, urban living. With any luck, maybe some of these reluctant urbanites-turning-suburbanites will have some positive effects on their new neighbourhoods, and help begin that transformation.

I think it depends on what your definition of 'suburbia' is. Burlington, for example, has mile upon square mile of cookie-cutter homes and strip malls etc, but there is also an emerging urban core that is far more urban in nature, with a proliferation of independent shops and restaurants, high density residential in-fill, surrounded by older traditional neighbourhoods. The population demographics are also changing to reflect this. Where once the urban centre was a ghost town, save for seniors who lived in cheap housing, young singles, couples and families are moving in, bringing their urban sensibilities, tastes and demands with them. There is also far more diversity and tolerance in these areas than what used to be the case, with gay couples living next door to straight couples, and people of all ethnic groups blending in. Is it Toronto? Of course not...but it is no longer the barren wasteland it once was either. A similar pattern is also unfolding in Hamilton and surrounding 'suburbs' such as Dundas and Ancaster, as well as in places like Oakville or Port Credit.

So what if there's a theatre, a martini bar and a gallery in your suburb? You still have to drive to them. You still won't have interaction with people who are on a different itinerary. I've been to the suburbs, and it's sad there, the lack of "that Manhattan urine smell" notwithstanding. I've also been to Manhattan, and urine is not one of the things I think of when I recall it.

I like that I can stand on my balcony and see trees everywhere, or walk down a nearby street witih single family homes and lawns. Midtown is clean and quiet, the people seem more familiar, and the worst homeless person you'll encounter is that guy south of St. Clair that wants help "focusing on a sandwich".

The homeless people downtown are just the same. Completely harmless.

I think it depends on what your definition of 'suburbia' is.

To me, suburbia is a place where:

1. It is not reasonably easy to survive without a car. Walking and transit are vastly more inconvenient and dangerous than driving.

2. The vast majority of residents live in single family dwellings, that is, individual houses instead of higher density condos or apartments. Townhomes or semis are still single family dwellings.

3. Zoning laws create highly separated areas for residential use and for commercial use, and in a way that reinforces point 1, people pretty much have to drive between the two whenever they want to work or shop.

4. Because of 1, 2, and 3, people only interact with the people that they specifically choose to interact with. Otherwise, everyone remains isolated in their own homes or cars, and there is little interaction with others in their community who are of a different income bracket, race, age, etc. This is seen by many individuals as a positive ("I don't have to sit beside some smelly guy on a bus") but it is in fact a huge negative for greater society ("I don't see any poor people, they have nothing to do with me, so why should I care.")

Like BobBob I am skeptical when people talk of creating "urban areas" inside suburbs. Isolated businesses or a small designated "downtown" that most people must drive to, walk around and shop in, and then drive home from again, is not a solution. We already have many of those destinations. They have roofs over them and they're called "malls".

To really fix suburbia, it needs to be drastically changed, starting with a ban on new sprawl, a vast relaxation of zoning laws to allow things like businesses to be located directly within existing subdivisions, a reduction in the amount of free parking available, and an infilling of the existing vast parking lots with higher density housing -- all combined with much improved transit and walking infrastructure so that it is actually more convenient and practical to use those rather than a car.

But even harder than changing the physical geography of suburbia will be changing the mindsets of people. Many half-truths and stereotypes about both urban and suburban living are deeply embedded in our society, and anti-city biases go back to first decades of the industrial revolution. Until the majority of people stop automatically writing off all urban areas as stinking, urine-soaked crime-ridden hellholes filled with raving homeless people and impoverished new immigrants, and stop glorifying all suburbs as a bucolic 100% crime-free wonderland of green lawns and family barbecues, nothing much will change.

I think some communities in the GTA have incredible potential to transform themselves into the type of communities refered to in the article. Downtown Markham will be interesting to watch. Although similar initiatives have been abject failures (e.g. Mississauga City Centre), hopefully Downtown Markham and I think there's a proposal in Vaughan will have learned from their mistakes. They will never become downtown Toronto, but downtown Toronto isn't perfect either.

To me, suburbia is a place where...

Good post Puke, thanks.

So what if there's a theatre, a martini bar and a gallery in your suburb? You still have to drive to them. You still won't have interaction with people who are on a different itinerary. I've been to the suburbs, and it's sad there, the lack of "that Manhattan urine smell" notwithstanding. I've also been to Manhattan, and urine is not one of the things I think of when I recall it.

'Urban' isn't necessarily synonomous with 'big city'. In the older core areas of suburban towns and cities the urban infrastructure already in place often predates the car, and there are in fact lots of people leading just the life you describe. Many of the "neighbourhoods" of Toronto were once suburbs and independent towns themselves that became swallowed up by Toronto's own vast tracts of inner 'suburban' sprawl.

I agree that there is more to 'urban' than martini bars and similar trappings, yet realistically this is what many of the suburbanites migrating to the big city are looking for, and not the daily dose of honest interaction you describe. Conversely, a lot of urbanites are migrating to suburban urban centres looking for urban lifestyle on a smaller and more personal scale, without the cost, or the vivid sounds and "smells" of big city living.

HaHa You guys are joking right? As if midtown or even Mimico qualify as moving out of the city!

Exactly...suburbia invariably refers to post-war detached houses on cul-de-sacs & crescents, with only a convenience store, a school, and a park within walking distance. The article makes this very clear when it uses Naperville and Orange County as examples. Something like Yonge & St. Clair may have been suburban a century ago, but under no circumstances can it be considered suburbia.

The homeless people downtown are just the same. Completely harmless.

..well, except for the guy that stabbed three people yesterday, and except for the 4 people that killed the guy from St. Catharines a couple of months ago..

I am not so sure that they are all completely harmless.....

Back