Ipperwash: Harris wanted 'fu--ing Indians out'

D

dan e 1980

Harris wanted 'Indians out'
Former attorney general recalls premier's order
Nov. 28, 2005. 02:23 PM
PETER EDWARDS
STAFF REPORTER

FOREST, Ont. – Only hours before native activist Anthony (Dudley) George was shot dead, a government meeting was stunned silent when former premier Mike Harris angrily told senior Cabinet Ministers and two police officers, "I want the f------ Indians out of the park," a public inquiry heard today.

The bombshell came on the second day of testimony by former attorney general Charles Harnick at the public inquiry into George’s death on the night of Sept. 6, 1995 in a massive police operation at Ipperwash Provincial Park.

Stoney Point Natives occupied the park on Sept. 4, 1995, saying they were protecting sacred burial grounds. Their claims were later upheld by documents released by the federal government.

"The Premier, in a loud voice, said, 'I want the f------ Indians out of the park,'" Harnick testified today before Mr. Justice Sidney Linden.

Harnick said he was stunned by the comment, and that Harris’ demeanour quickly changed during the meeting in the premier’s private dining room shortly after noon on Sept. 6, 1995.

The meeting was also attended by former solicitor-general Robert Runciman, former minister of natural resources Chris Hodgson, senior members of their staffs and civil servants, Harnick said.

In his cross-examination of Harnick, Harris’s lawyer Peter Downard said his client will deny using those words when he is called to testify in January, Canadian Press reports.

“You are the first to say that the inappropriate statement was made, does that give you any pause?†Downard said in challenging Harnick’s testimony.

Harnick responded by saying “I heard what I heard.â€

After his obscene reference, Harris seemed to realize that he had said something inappropriate, and that it would be impossible to remove natives from the park anyway, Harnick testified.

“I believe he knew what he said was wrong,†Harnick said.

“Did you hear anything else to do with guns, as far as getting the f------ Indians out of the park,†asked commission lawyer Don Worme, himself a Cree Native from Saskatchewan.

“Absolutely not,†Harnick testified.

The meeting ended with Harris agreeing that an injunction should be sought to have the park occupation declared illegal, Harnick testified.

He earlier testified that it’s “absolutely absurd†to suggest he received instructions from Harris to remove native occupiers within 24 hours from Ipperwash Provincial Park on the day George was killed.

That testimony sharply contrasted with sworn testimony earlier this month from his former deputy minister, Larry Taman, who told the inquiry that Harris instructed Harnick on the morning of Sept. 6, 1995 to have the natives removed within 24 hours.

The extent to which Harris interfered with the police handling of the standoff is the key issue at the judicial probe into George’s death.

Police witnesses have told the inquiry that the force did not buckle to political pressure to remove the protesters.

Harnick supports that claim, CP reported today.

“I’m sure (the meeting) had no influence in terms of actions the OPP may have taken,†said Harnick, who added he was unaware police were present at the meeting.

During a break in the inquiry, George family lawyer Murray Klippenstein said if Harnick’s recollection of events was true it was a sad day for Canada.

“If this evidence is trustworthy, it looks like a contemptuous comment from the head of the province that is an attack on Indian people,†he said. “It’s a sad day.â€

Sam George, the victim’s brother, said Harnick’s words were shocking and gave him “goosebumps.â€

Harnick’s testimony continues.

With files from Canadian Press

why o why did ontario ever elect this man?

The Ontario PCs are seen as more moderate than the federal Conservative though. Shiver. I can't imagine Harris like policies being implemented nation wide to chop departments without any thorough impact analysis just so tax cuts can be rolled out. VIA would be pretty much toast I would imagine.

VIA would be pretty much toast I would imagine.

Im sure the Liberals will take care of VIA first chance they get so no need to wait for the Conservatives on that one.

They are 50/50 on it. It sounds like there are two camps in the party with Martin being not much of a supporter but many who do. Obviously there was a VIA Renaissance program towards the end of Chretien's term but it has stalled out. I doubt their would be much debate at all in the Alberta run Conservative party considering that there is no service between Calgary and Edmonton (actually no Calgary service at all) and only the 3x per week Canadian train through Edmonton.

Im sure the Liberals will take care of VIA first chance they get so no need to wait for the Conservatives on that one.

Umm...yeah. First chance they get, they'll kill it. They've been in power how long now? 12 years?

Umm...yeah. First chance they get, they'll kill it. They've been in power how long now? 12 years?

And they have done what for it exactly? Other than purchasing the Renassaince rail cars and fixing up some stations VIA is at best marginally, if at all, better than it was 12 years ago.

Inaction is often as effective is taking direct aim. You just let the service continue to stagnant, piss off endless customers with delays on every other train trip and delays up to and over an hour far more common than they should be, quietly subsidize the airline industry and ensure that travel by road and highway is maintained, and soon enough, you have a service like VIA which is a borderline joke trying to compete with industries who have had every chance to grow with the times over the past 20 years.

They might kill it in the traditional sense of just flushing the whole service, but bit by bit they can keep working to chip away at it.

But you said that they would "take care of VIA the first chance they get." That doesn't sound like "take 12 years and make some improvements that I consider insufficient."

But you said that they would "take care of VIA the first chance they get." That doesn't sound like "take 12 years and make some improvements that I consider insufficient."

Ok let me rephrase then. I think that the Liberals, at the first chance they get, will put in motion the last few steps necessary to kill VIA. They might privatize all of the operations. They may choose to continue assuming responsibilty over longhaul or niche routes (The Canadiana, the Ocean, etc) and download the Quebec-Windsor corridor to the provinces (or keep the Quebec-Windsor corridor and privatize the rest). They may choose to cut back services. Or maybe something that hasnt come to mind.

Will the effect be as striking as it might be if the Conservatives get there chance? Probably not. But would I consider the Liberals good for VIA? Not at all. It would be like saying that the Liberals are good for public transit because they agreed to give cities a portion of the gas tax. Its nice that they did that, and needed, but given that it really only helps transit systems maintain current service and minimally upgrade, I would be a little hesitant at saying that they are good for public transit when the real needs are not being addressed.

...but I still don't understand why they didn't do it in their last 12 years in office if this was their plan all along. This includes the period of massive cutbacks, and the privatization of the government freight railway.

Many of the new board members of VIA are from the private sector, and are rumoured by those who watch VIA that these board members would be friendly to privatization of some, if not all of VIA. Some Liberal MPs are supportive of Jim Armstrong, the owner of Rocky Mountaineer Tours (which ironically was started up by VIA and forced to sell in 1990), who is anti-VIA, who he sees as a competitor to his operations.

Though under the Liberals when Chretien was PM, VIA was brought back into a better situation than it was in 1990-1993 - new cars and locomotives were purchased, stations were rebuilt, a new station (Fallowfield) was built, the Montreal-Toronto overnight train was reinstated, and a third train to Kitchener was introduced.

Martin is not friendly to VIA, though, dating to the days when he owned Voyageur bus lines. Under the Paul Martin Party of Canada, Collenette was dumped, as he was not a Martin ass-kisser, unlike that twerp Lapierre, the Montreal-Toronto overnight train cancelled (though ridership was disappointing) and the second phase of upgrades quickly cancelled. So it can be argued that the last 12 years were okay for VIA, because they were mostly under Chretien.

I'm a bit pessimistic about VIA's future, but I'm not quite ready to predict its quick demise at this point.

Back