News   Oct 02, 2024
 306     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 388     0 

Invitation to the Launch of The Young City

jamesbow

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope I have this in the right forum and I'm not stepping on anybody's toes by posting this, but here goes...

I'd like to invite you all to the launch of my third novel, "The Young City". The book, published by the Dundurn Group, completes the Unwritten Books trilogy for young adults.

On Sunday, January 18 at 3:00 p.m., we'll be meeting to celebrate the book and the series at Nicholas Hoare Booksellers at 45 Front Street East in the St. Lawrence Market area.

So, where: Nicholas Hoare Booksellers, 45 Front Street East, just west of Church Street
When: Sunday, January 18 at 3:00 p.m.
Who: Anybody with an interest in YA fantasy literature.

Also attending the launch will be Mike Filey, who will talk about Toronto in 1884, and who will also be signing copies of his latest book, Toronto: the Way We Were. There will be snacks and (warm) refreshments served, readings from both our books, questions and answers, and more. After the event, we will retire across the street to the Flatiron and Firkin resident for a pub grub dinner.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me at this e-mail address, or check out the official Unwritten Books website at http://unwrittenbooks.ca/. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you at the event!

=+=+=
A synopsis of "The Young City":

Rosemary Watson and Peter McAllister think their future is clear: they’re finally heading off for university. They’re thinking about finding apartments, picking courses, living like adults.

But what happens when the future becomes the past? While helping Rosemary’s brother move into an apartment in Toronto, Peter and Rosemary fall into an underground river and are swept back in time, to Toronto in 1884. It’s a struggle to survive and adapt to the alien culture of the late nineteenth century. Peter and Rosemary are forced to work together, to live together, and to become the adults they’ve only been pretending to be.

As the days stranded turn to weeks, then months, Rosemary and Peter begin to wonder if they’re really ready for a future together - and what they will do if they can’t get back.

Then someone brings them a watch, powered by a battery, made in Taiwan.

Just read the first chapter. Interesting concept. I also love the use of Toronto as almost a character in itself. I'll definitely be adding this book to my to-read list. Thanks for the heads up, and best of luck. :)

That's a fantastic concept. I know so many kids that dream about what life in familiar locations would have been like in an earlier era. I'd wish you good luck, James, but I have no doubt it'll be a big success.

Thanks, everyone. The event went very well. Mike Filey spoke passionately on the importance of preserving Toronto's history, the crowd listened attentively, and lots of books sold. A very pleasant afternoon.

...James

Back