1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 668     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 306     0 

Interior Layouts

most desirable interior layout

• Total voters
Of the choices that were listed I chose the U or L shaped kitchens as galley kitchens are a deal breaker for me. I have one now and can't stand it.

bedroom with window ... interior (assuming windowless) bedroom ... WTF?

a den's a den and all bedrooms have to have windows

Interior bedrooms....? Are these not like the 'solariums' of 1980's condos? Useless, stupid, and just plain wrong. Not even for the '2nd' bedroom. I agree that, if it does not have a window, it is a den. Ah! Marketing!

And don't even get me started on linear kitchens!

Aways been a galley kitchen fan. Only thing is, when I'm in there you better stay out or things start flying.
I've always maintained that galley kitchens are super effecient but they are 'one-ass' layouts. :)

Galley kitchens I can deal with. They are quite efficient, actually. It is those new-fangled, one-wall 'linear' kitchens that I find silly. Really, it is just another way for the developer to make units even smaller. WHO does not want more counter space? Kitchens and bathrooms sell.

Galley kitchens I can deal with. They are quite efficient, actually. It is those new-fangled, one-wall 'linear' kitchens that I find silly. Really, it is just another way for the developer to make units even smaller. WHO does not want more counter space? Kitchens and bathrooms sell.

I agree!
I hate those things!!!

Who the hell is willing to sit on their sofa and have all the kitchen clutter and stuff virtually in their lap. Trailer homes have smarter layouts...Really! These new kitchen designs are the stupidest 'innovation' I have ever seen. I predict this fad will have a short life cycle.

Why?
A. The market is softening. Potential buyers (new AND resale) are going to start to balk at this nonsense. Who would seriously consider this type of kitchen if they had a choice? ..and resale buyers have a choice...lots of choice.

B.Check out web sites for condos in other major cities. No matter how tiny the unit is going to be in Manhattan, you will probably have a separate kitchen ( albeit a tiny one). Same goes for London, Tokyo, L.A..
In Toronto, builders seem to play 'follow the leader' too much. One or two developments got away with this silliness in a white hot market and the rest then try to pull it off also.
Now, just about every new project coming on line has these new style kitchens.

A few years from now we will be able to date a condo by these designs. We will smile and say something like ''Remember that 'Goofy Kitchen against the Wall era' that came and went? I know a fool that bought one of those units."

Totally agree that galley kitchens work well. Most restaurant kitchens are set up that way.

For Granny - to alleviate the 'one-ass' issue, it's best to have a width of 4ft clearance between opposite base cabinets; thereby allowing greater flow and mov't.

The one-wall 'linear' kitchens are developers marketing of trying to make "living" spaces seem bigger by eliminating the additional 6 ft depth a true kitchen would require.
PLUS, it saves them construction costs and make more $$$.

One should read the MYCondo advertisement and get a laugh at their explanation for going with one-wall linear kitchens.

I paid extra to have my kitchen re-configured from a one-wall linear to L-shape with an island (5 ft wide). Cost me $2K but I think it'll be worth it since it gives me more counterspace and storage, plus more space in the actual LR/DR.

And, for re-sale, your redesign will add thousands. Granny is right. A few years on we will look at such kitchens with mild amusement, and wonder how the developers EVER got away with them.

I could not agree more about the trend in kitchen designs. Linear kitchens have absolutely no base cabinet storage once the appliances and plumbing are taken into account.

Perhaps it's part of the unrealistic "condo lifestyle" that sales offices are always trying to depict - no one really cooks, they just stand around looking "fabulous".

Yes, the do look fab in the model suites. However, in reality, with the toaster, dish-rag, and box of Kashi Go Lean cereal sitting on the counter, they look cluttered. All in full view of the rest of the unit.

Last edited:

Back