News   Jul 11, 2024
 573     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 714     0 

In Defence of Starchitecture

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
from today's Star...pretty good article by Christopher Hume...

In defence of starchitecture

Some critics are happy to bid the boom and its bold buildings goodbye. They're being silly

Apr 18, 2009 04:30 AM
Be the first to comment on this article...
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Columnist

They say we should be careful what we wish for, and for good reason. In the case of all those nasty architecture critics gleefully cheering as the Great Recession brings the Age of Starchitecture to an end, that's doubly true.

Were they to take a moment to consider what that would mean, they might hope for something else.

The problem has never been too much starchitecture, but too little.

If by starchitecture we mean buildings designed by the best architects in the world, not simply buildings designed by celebrity architects, there could never be enough.

But in the highly competitive, winner-take-all, schadenfreude-fuelled world of architecture, it's hardly surprising that there's a surfeit of resentful observers anxious to see greatness fail. The harder they come, the harder they fall.

"What was pernicious about the idea of `iconic' architecture," Rowan Moore wrote in the Evening Standard, "is its assumption that just by making a building look spectacular, you make it good."

Oh my goodness, what could be worse than spectacular architecture? The iconic, we are admonished, should not be confused with the good. Indeed not.

Another, more local critic huffed recently about the "outrageous" fees charged by architectural stars, and went on to celebrate the coming "minimalist economy."

Other than revealing a dismaying smallness of spirit, what message does this unseemly whining send to developers, planners, politicians and the rest of us?

If it's wrong to hire the best architects (too expensive, too spectacular), then it must be right to hire the mediocre (cheaper and less iconic). If it's bad to aspire to architecture with a capital A, then it must be good to settle for the strictly ordinary, the second-rate.

In a city such as Toronto, where architectural excellence cannot be taken for granted, the presence of Frank Gehry, Will Alsop, Norman Foster, Santiago Calatrava, Stephan Behnisch and, yes, even Daniel Libeskind, has raised the architectural stakes immeasurably.

This city also happens to be blessed with a number of first-rate local firms, but how many developers would have bothered to hire Peter Clewes, David Pontarini or Rudy Wallman to do their condos if design weren't suddenly so important to their bottom line?

You don't have to look far to see that what passed for architecture in Toronto even a decade ago leaves much to be desired. Developers' willingness to accept whatever the big corporate design firms produced went unquestioned. Now, we expect more.

Let's not forget, either, that although starchitecture is a term of derision for some, starchitects, like them or not, are called that because they are the finest in the business. It may have become a cliché for a city to want a Frank Gehry, but the Guggenheim Museum he designed in Bilbao changed more than that city, it changed the way we look at museums and their relationship to the urban context. And let there be no doubt about the power of the Bilbao Effect: 12 years after the museum opened, visitors are still pouring into that city, the Hamilton of Spain, to see Gehry's masterpiece, if not the art within.

And as for the argument that most architects struggle in the shadow of their more celebrated colleagues: So what else is new? In fact, the growing interest in architecture has opened up possibilities for the young and lesser known that never existed previously.

Consider the case of Absolute, the Mississauga condo dubbed Marilyn Monroe, which was designed by the Chinese outfit MAD, chosen after an international competition. Such an event would have been unthinkable, especially in Mississauga, only years ago.

That's why this sudden fear of the iconic rings hollow. Who complains about the Chrysler Building or the Empire State Building, those symbols of an earlier age of excess? Their meaning might have changed over the decades, but they remain as central to the history of New York – and architecture – as ever, not just because they qualify as icons, but because they are examples of architectural greatness.

This isn't to say every project need be an icon. The vast majority are "fabric buildings" – they serve a purpose, fill space and in their totality create the streetscape that defines the city. But no one should mistake fabric buildings for second-rate buildings.

In our rush to throw out the iconic we are in danger of chucking the brilliant. Not that we want to turn our cities into so many clones of Dubai, an example of what happens when architecture becomes little more than a race to out-icon the building next door. In this context, architecture becomes meaningless; it is reduced to little more than a frantic contest between architects trying desperately to outdo one another. If anything, Dubai could use a little starchitecture, though in its case, it might be too little too late.

When Toronto launched its so-called Cultural Renaissance five or six years ago, there was a predictable outcry against the inclusion of starchitects, even before they had designed anything. But keep in mind that Gehry, Libeskind and Alsop notwithstanding, commissions also went to Diamond & Schmitt (Four Seasons Performing Arts Centre) as well as KPMB (Royal Conservatory of Music, National Ballet School, Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art and the Young Centre in the Distillery District).

In other words, local architects fared well in the process. All the more so for the presence of so many international heavy-hitters. And in the aftermath, Alsop has stayed on to design subway stations for the Toronto Transit Commission, as has Norman Foster.

Whether these projects will be iconic or not remains to be seen, but already one thing is clear: The world will be waiting and watching.

Good article. It's sad that people don't like great buildings, but I'm happy that over the past decade we've significantly increased our share here in Toronto.

Hume forgot to mention the UofT Pharmacy building designed by Norman Foster...

In a city such as Toronto, where architectural excellence cannot be taken for granted, the presence of Frank Gehry, Will Alsop, Norman Foster, Santiago Calatrava, Stephan Behnisch and, yes, even Daniel Libeskind, has raised the architectural stakes immeasurably.

This city also happens to be blessed with a number of first-rate local firms, but how many developers would have bothered to hire Peter Clewes, David Pontarini or Rudy Wallman to do their condos if design weren't suddenly so important to their bottom line?

You don't have to look far to see that what passed for architecture in Toronto even a decade ago leaves much to be desired. Developers' willingness to accept whatever the big corporate design firms produced went unquestioned. Now, we expect more.

While there's no doubt that Libeskind and Gehry's designs have contributed to architecture in this city, I'd question if the level of contribution starchitecture is as great as Hume says in the article, or even if it is because of starchitecture that Toronto is what it is design-wise today.

Starchitects has produced a number of landmark buildings in Toronto, but that's not the reason why local developers have gotten more design-conscious. It has more to do with Toronto's economic situation. Toronto is now Canada's economic capital, and arguably a world city, but our architecture does not reflect this new identity. One result is that we need starchitects to give new looks to our civic spaces and buildings to make us look more world-class. Another result is that developers, flush with money after capitalizing on Toronto's development boom, can afford to hire better architects to build buildings that will improve their corporate image and the image of the city in which they work. However, these two results are not as closely connected as Hume believes.

Consider the number of current commercial or residential projects in Toronto that are either designed by starchitects, or designed to resemble starchitecture. Aside from Libeskind's L Tower (attached to a civic building), I can't think of another that is done by starchitects. And aside from Yansong Ma's Marilyn, Toronto hasn't been inundated by Turning Torsos or Shards or Cubist works that are often identified with starchitecture. Most condo towers are done by local firms whose designs don't appear to have been influenced by starchitecture. I bet Clewes would have been able to produce exactly the same designs he has done now even if Libeskind or Gehry never built anything in Toronto, and I bet he would have been hired to do condo towers with or without starchitecture in Toronto.

Interestingly there was a period in time where starchitects did do commercial projects in Toronto - the late 1960s and 1970s, when Mies did the TD Centre and Pei Cobb Freed did Commerce Court West.

It may have become a cliché for a city to want a Frank Gehry, but the Guggenheim Museum he designed in Bilbao changed more than that city, it changed the way we look at museums and their relationship to the urban context.

The Bilbao Effect aside, did Gehry really create such a drastic change in city-museum relationships? He created a new, deconstructivist typology for museum and art gallery buildings, but I don't think he has changed the way we look at museums in cities. My view of the AGO as an institution hasn't changed with the renovation, even though the Gehry design has attracted me to the AGO than before the renovation. I think he's getting way too much credit here.

Peter Clewes was in the forefront of the movement to reclaim the realm of multi-unit residential design from developer-and-marketing-culture long before a handful of jetlagged starchitects touched down here, briefly, to make their mark; his 20 Niagara was completed in 1997. KPMB won the competition to design Kitchener City Hall a decade before that, and several other good local firms were working on cultural and institutional buildings hereabouts long before Gehry, Alsop and Libeskind arrived. And we've moved on - I don't see any imitators, or much influence in what we're seeing built locally since they flew off home.

Yesterday, standing in what remains of the Tannenbaum Sculpture Atrium at the AGO, I had a nice chat to a young architect who works for the Montreal firm Saia Barbarese Topouzanov. She's from Toronto originally, and was disappointed with what Gehry has done with that space; she also raised the issue of how the thick beams in the Galleria Italia block the sky and neighbourhood from view, and how the Galleria facade bears little relationship to what lies beyond it. I wish we'd had more time to chat.

Peter Clewes was in the forefront of the movement to reclaim the realm of multi-unit residential design from developer-and-marketing-culture long before a handful of jetlagged starchitects touched down here, briefly, to make their mark; his 20 Niagara was completed in 1997. KPMB won the competition to design Kitchener City Hall a decade before that, and several other good local firms were working on cultural and institutional buildings hereabouts long before Gehry, Alsop and Libeskind arrived. And we've moved on - I don't see any imitators, or much influence in what we're seeing built locally since they flew off home.

Yesterday, standing in what remains of the Tannenbaum Sculpture Atrium at the AGO, I had a nice chat to a young architect who works for the Montreal firm Saia Barbarese Topouzanov. She's from Toronto originally, and was disappointed with what Gehry has done with that space; she also raised the issue of how the thick beams in the Galleria Italia block the sky and neighbourhood from view, and how the Galleria facade bears little relationship to what lies beyond it. I wish we'd had more time to chat.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to interpret as 'influence' in any of the local firms you note. Just because more famous architects have received work in a certain city, Toronto or otherwise, I would doubt that that city's local talent would interpret the star's building as a proverbial 'platonic horse' to be replicated and realized in their own work. You seem to imply that after more famous firms built here, the less-talented local ones would simply fall into line and create Libeskind's, Alsop's, or Gehry's of their own. You know this not to be true, so I am left wondering what point you were trying to get across in your post.

Kitchener City Hall is an OK building, but I would never call it great - I see the idioms of mid-90's post-modernism recurring far to many times for me to 'like' it. Furthermore, it's interesting how you mention a pleasurable conversation with a woman from a firm (SBT) which basically boils down to the aA or KPMB of Montreal.

It seems to me that you have your own notion of 'starchitecture,' just one which emphasizes quality over fame.

Like wylie, I'm questioning assumptions that it is because of starchitecture that Toronto is what it is design-wise today. Quality and fame can co-exist, of course, though it's the former that matters ... and it's always nice to run into people who know the distinction, wherever they're from. I've noticed that sometimes, in talking to designers and architects about starchitecture, there's a common thread where we treat The Great Ones as if they're trapped inside their own fame and constrained by it - a feeling of pity and sympathy for them tends to develop.

Another, more local critic huffed recently about the "outrageous" fees charged by architectural stars, and went on to celebrate the coming "minimalist economy."
Other than revealing a dismaying smallness of spirit, what message does this unseemly whining send to developers, planners, politicians and the rest of us?

unseemly whining. smallness of spirit. who is hume referring to i wonder?
is there an ar-cat-ect fight brewing between hume and lisa rochon? or jack diamond?

Quote: "there's a common thread where we treat The Great Ones as if they're trapped inside their own fame and constrained by it - a feeling of pity and sympathy for them tends to develop."

US for the most part you're a fair minded person. But you're better than this throwaway line. Is there any evidence that The Great Ones operate within a narrower range, individually, than lesser known architects? Certainly some, like Liebskind or Ghery, might - but that impression is a function of their visibility. I'd guess virtually all architects when they have established a successful signature style rehash it 4-5 times before moving on.

I was thinking mostly of the conversation I'd had with that architect, as she looked around the space still named after the Tannenbaums which the magic of Gehry has transformed into something less than it was. Her take on the Galleria Italia was also similar to mine - it's Gehry's big statement at the AGO, he's a starchitect so he could hardly get back on the plane without making one, and we are obliged to make certain allowances with it because it represents a different set of design values. As Project End says, ours is a design approach that emphasizes quality over fame, from a design culture that's skeptical of the hype surrounding Big Hair Architecture, has strong roots in Modernism, and isn't falling into line and creating copies of what The Great Ones do - as some less well-grounded cultures are. I think that all our new cultural buildings have turned out rather well, regardless of which approach they've taken, and they suit the needs of those who use them.

Back