News   Oct 02, 2024
 78     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 308     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 389     0 

Ideas For A Good Friday In Town?

Gym in the morning. Matinee movie; something foreign at the Carlton.

Dinner at cheap, obscure but good restaurant.. Chinatown noodle house? Mmake and mend' - (wash and repair) my wardrobe in the evening.

Harbourfront isn't too nasty this time of year.. might go there instead of the movie.

PATH stroll up to YungDunda square. I scored a free Brita water pitcher there 2 weeks ago when they had a huge giveaway.

Eaton Centre or Yorkville. I think that, along with (maybe) Vaughan Mills and Pacific Mall are the only places open.

A low key inexpensive way to spend Good Friday is to take some of the nice long streetcar rides through the city and check out all the changes happening in various neighbourhoods. Queens Quay, King St., Queen East & West, take your pick. Break up the day with lunch in some far off neighbourhood, maybe bring along a camera and capture what you see.

Just about all of the live theatrical companies in Toronto have performances on Good Friday.

I second androiduk's idea but add: make it a mission to the lake at some far-off point you never visit. The weather is going to be wikkid with lots of sun.

A nice example might be: take the train to Rouge Hill Stn and take a walk along the lake, through the new park that's still U/C

Drag that bike out from the garage, locker or balcony. Give it a quick clean up, fill up the tires, check the brakes and take off. Traffic will be light and the sun will be shining so it'll be a great day to get some sun on our face and get the ticker pumping.

Speaking of which, a nice Old-into-New-Testament thing I did today: a nosh at Caplansky's right before witnessing the Good Friday procession around the corner...

Oh man, a buddy of mine had the best idea this morning: Ward's Island!

Ok, you have to understand that it's been almost 15 years since I've been to the islands (sad, but true) and so it totally blew my mind. The view of the city, the restaurant, the houses.....I was in awe and almost cried....kinda like when I saw the Rockies for the first time last summer. Same feeling.

I don't know what's been wrong with me for the last 15 years but damn, I'm on that ferry weekly this summer....especially after I move back downtown.

Cleaned up the yard, bought some food in little India, walked amongst the bluffs, and then had a nice cafe-au-lait at Balzac's in the Distillery.

Thanks for the input.

I spent my Okay Friday in Kensington--everything was open, from Urban Herbivore to Ideal Coffee to the park!

Even Easter Sunday impressed me with the number of shops and galleries and cafes open for business along Queen West and K-Market!

Adma: Did you like Caplanksy's? I find it too smoky for my taste, and not peppery enough. Although I love the setting!

Last time I was there (end of February) I got a sandwich and the poutine, as you can see here:

dsc01494o.jpg

Last edited:

Back