Hume: Calgary’s mayor is now Canada’s mayor

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hume: ‘Canada’s mayor’ sees the city positively

Feb 10 2011

By Christopher Hume

thestar_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/936535--hume-canada-s-mayor-sees-the-city-positively

Thanks to Naheed Nenshi, Calgary’s mayor is now Canada’s mayor. Though he has scrupulously avoided the obvious comparison during his triumphant Toronto homecoming this week, in these parts Nenshi can only be seen as everything this city’s current mayor is not, i.e. articulate, urban, informed, and best of all, optimistic. Born in Toronto, raised in Calgary, Nenshi is the son of Ismaili Muslim immigrants from Tanzania. Much has been made of this, but in fact what sets him apart and makes him important is what he says, especially about cities. He is one of those rare city politicians who actually loves the city. By contrast, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was elected around the same time as Nenshi on a promise to wage war on the city.

In Ford’s world, the city is the enemy. It stands in the way of people and prosperity. In Nenshi’s, the city is our saviour. Its unique qualities — what he calls density, diversity and a sense of discovery — are essential to continued success, economic, social and cultural. Despite their very considerable differences, both Nenshi and Ford represent a rejection of politics-as-usual. Clearly, then, Calgary and Toronto are not at the same point in their civic evolution. The Ford backlash came from a population fed up with being exhorted to get out of their cars, walk, ride a bike or take transit. His supporters, who couldn’t give a toss about global warming or the urban agenda, just want the usual — lower taxes and an end to congestion.

Nenshi, on the other hand, connected with Calgarians who desire a more urban city, not endless sprawl. His talk about civic engagement and “politics in full sentences†resonated with an electorate tired of the usual left/right squabbling. But Nenshi should be aware of how Torontonians reacted after seven years of a civic regime that demanded more of its citizens. The election was held barely three months ago, but the dismantling of the city has already begun in earnest. And Nenshi’s line about politics in full sentences is painful in a city whose Chief Magistrate speaks not in full sentences but syllables. As long as “gravy train†is the answer, there’s no question to which Ford can’t respond.

Nicely said. I don't know what else I can say about Ford and his supporters. Their "view" (or lack of it) will destroy the city and turn it into a American-style suburban no-man's land.

What exactly do you find a crock of shit? It seem pretty accurate to me.

Automation Gallery has difficultly with any negative comment about Ford. Especially when it's the truth. I've seen Ford in action. close up, in person and he is pretty much as Hume describes him. He really is a baffon. Don't believe it. Try having a conversation with him for five minutes. He usually starts drifting at about the 90 second mark and is completely lost at the 2 minute mark. Unless of course, you're talking about one of the only two things that really interest him.

Who cares, like or not he is the mayor of Toronto..you guys all have Miller on your freakin mind..but let me tell you when interviews with David Miller werent going his way.. he was a wreck, stuttering, nervous, oh my i could still see him white as a ghost trying to justify what was right for Toronto, come-on please.....And regarding difficulty with any negative comment about Ford..i dont care, i just dont understand how so many people on this forum have the balls to constantly trash him for anything and everything on every thread that is associated with him, sooner or later you guys will run out posts to slam him, one day its his looks, another day its his weight, sometimes communication skills, other times education, oh yeah, he beats up his wife, oh shite i forgot as a kid he used to get his ass kicked by his dad, god he can also be a racist, crap you cant forget his health and the heart attack thats coming...Hahaha, i havent heard yet that he is a white trash Canadian or that he may be gay,...that might still come out from some jerks.

Last edited:
Considering Ford's negative remarks about homosexuals in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if he was really gay. According to my PSY100 class, people who bash gays a lot are often themselves gay and in the closet. On the other hand, people who are straight are less likely to bash gays. Sad but true.

Who cares, like or not he is the mayor of Toronto..you guys all have Miller on your freakin mind..but let me tell you when interviews with David Miller werent going his way.. he was a wreck, stuttering, nervous, oh my i could still see him white as a ghost trying to justify what was right for Toronto, come-on please.....And regarding difficulty with any negative comment about Ford..i dont care, i just dont understand how so many people on this forum have the balls to constantly trash him for anything and everything on every thread that is associated with him, sooner or later you guys will run out posts to slam him, one day its his looks, another day its his weight, sometimes communication skills, other times education, oh yeah, he beats up his wife, oh shite i forgot as a kid he used to get his ass kicked by his dad, god he can also be a racist, crap you cant forget his health and the heart attack thats coming...Hahaha, i havent heard yet that he is a white trash Canadian or that he may be gay,...that might still come out from some jerks.

Let's agree not to care about each other's posts.

I think that writers like Hume who have this big crush for Calgary's new mayor should wait a few years to see how successful he is in governing before conferring the title of great mayor upon on him. They are really getting ahead of themselves in their giddiness over the fact that Calgary, of all places, is the first Major city in Canada to elect a Muslim mayor. Even if he turns out to be as great as people think it is downright silly to call him "Canada's Mayor".

Considering Ford's negative remarks about homosexuals in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if he was really gay. According to my PSY100 class, people who bash gays a lot are often themselves gay and in the closet. On the other hand, people who are straight are less likely to bash gays. Sad but true.

Didn't he go on about how much he loved theater in high school ? Not to stereotype, but couldn't resist :D

I agree, 75% of your posts are all anti-Ford with so much BS Gibberish and verbal abuse of the man, that alone makes me think you are a racist...so yes i wont bother with you.:mad:

I'm not a racist. I just don't like bullies who call people jerks and racist. Having watched Ford in action for the past ten years, I don't personally care for him. I have the right to express my views about him as much as you have the right to defend him and trash Miller. Ciao, ciao.

It's silly to declare that Nenshi is Canada's mayor just as it is silly to say that 4 years of Rob and Doug will leave us looking like Detroit. However, neither mayor will live up to their fans' sky-high expectations. As a society, we have to be much more balanced in our appraisal of politicians. These days, people tend to treat politics like sports teams: they can either do no wrong or do no good.

How can Hume, or any other individual, declare another person as Canada's mayor? Was their a vote for this throughout the whole country? Were montrealers, vancouverites and others able to vote?
This is pure and simple BS.
I've read quite a few articles from Mr Hume over the past year and can safely conclude that he is as biased as they come with absolutely zero integrity.
As for all the Ford bashing, can we give this guy a chance? He won the race, it's finished, accept it.
You still have a voice, if you don't like any of his decisions than let him know.

Let's isolate this from the rest of the post...

I've read quite a few articles from Mr Hume over the past year and can safely conclude that he is as biased as they come with absolutely zero integrity.

Given what he does...on your part, sounds like sour grapes from an urban philistine.

Back