380     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 573     0 

Humanitas Festival

R

rdaner

How was the first Humanitas Festival opening night at Yonge Street Pier? Did anyone go?

It was good -- the mayor made a nice speech, and the Poet Laureate made, as usual, a magnificent speech.

We had our Airstream trailer there, and we recorded some good stories.

I'm sitting in the airstream right now, at the Brickworks. Lots of people coming through, for doors open. We are also a mobile Toronto Wireless node too -- so find us if you want to compute. Tomorrow we'll be at Fort York.

shawn:

How was the turn out?

I don't think the city did enough promotions for the event and it was hard to understand what it was all about.

Besides the backpage of your spacing magazine, I don't think I saw anymore advertising for it in the major papers at least.

I really wanted to see it, anybody go and take pics?

Louroz

NOW is the media partner, so most stuff is in there (a whole humanitas insert). There was an artical about it on saturday in the star i think.

I dropped by the blog talk tonight; it really had a "the Police at the Horseshoe in 1978" flavour, i.e. only a handful were there, but it still felt "important", "pivotal", "we'll be talking about this in 20 years time", somehow...

My feeling is, the remote location's a killer. A "very important cultural event" like Humanitas would have been much more galvanizing at York Quay...

That's a generous assessment ... of course, it's no one's fault in particular, but the result of too many cooks being commissioned for the event, rather than focusing on one particular established demographic.

But, these days, trying to be all things to all people leaves you with ... nothing.

As one of our local guerilla culture mavens mentioned, this kind of situation doesn't really bode well for the claims being made re: Expo 2015.

I thought one of the PigeonCondo.com guys, in his pigeon costume, was quite cute. He had the sweetest feathers, and the loveliest deep red pigeon toes. They were set up at the side of Yonge, just north of the big tent thing. I stopped and chatted him up ... and even mentioned this forum ... but it didn't fly.

I dropped by the blog talk tonight; it really had a "the Police at the Horseshoe in 1978" flavour, i.e. only a handful were there, but it still felt "important", "pivotal", "we'll be talking about this in 20 years time", somehow...

People said the same thing about Betamax. Blogs will have about as much staying power.

Pigeon Condo special guests Zavisha and John van Nostrand
will be speaking in Toronto on Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11
at the intersection of Yonge St. and Lakeshore Blvd.

all welcome!

Pigeon Condo is developing luxury housing for pigeons
right in the heart of Toronto's revitalized waterfront.

Sat. June 10, 2-4pm Guest speaker Zavisha will talk about the Roma people and how they are represented as the pigeons of the world.

Sun. June 11, 2-4pm Guest speaker John van Nostrand will talk about The Unplanned City. He will talk about the unplanned development of Toronto, and its similarities with the contemporary, unplanned growth of developing cities; he will argue for toning down the planning regime -- in order to encourage more decision making by individuals and communities.

All public talks will take place at the corner of Yonge St. and Lakeshore Blvd.

Call 647-723-5410 for your own virtual tour,
or log on to PigeonCondo.com

"If you had wings, you'd be home by now..."

I wish the pigeons on my balcony would move into that condo. I get tired of trashing the sticks, nests and eggs they leave behind.

Pidgeons? You're lucky. A few "creeewww-creeewww's" now and then and a bit of poo to wash away. My neighbourhood is crawling with young families now. Yesterday afternoon I had lunch in the garden and settled down to read the paper and relax. Suddenly, from all sides it seemed, and in the laneway too, I heard strident, high pitched young voiices! It wasn't like that when I moved in. Old folks and childless yuppies then. A young couple just bought my neighbour's house three days after it went on the market. No doubt they'll be swimming upstream to spawn within the year.

ESPECIALLY the eggs. I don't want vermin recognizing my balcony as home.

My building has but one child. He is charmingly precocious, and fancies himself Spiderman. On occassion, he clambers around the mailboxes. At last years annual meeting, his father brought him, with a movie to keep him entertained. Seats behind the dear child were the most popular as a result...

Back