93     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 358     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 701     0 

How to design an ad-covered building?

W

wyliepoon

After the latest round of disapproval from forumers over the Metropolis design. I've got a question... what is the best design or model for an ad-covered building? Is it impossible to mix good architecture and/or materials with a building that is to function as a billboard?

I don't see any ad-covered buildings around Dundas Square that are architecturally stunning, but so far I think the same can be said for pretty much any ad-covered building in the world...

shibuya_crossing.jpg

Shibuya, Tokyo

434--Piccadilly%20Circus.JPG

Piccadilly Circus, London

Times%20Square.jpg

Times Square, NYC

mongkok.jpg

Mongkok, Hong Kong

It doesn't have to be architecturally stunning... just not cheap-looking. Not too much to ask for but...

Of those, I like the Piccadilly buildings the most. I think the ticket is relatively simple, large, not too many designs.

hmm looks like tokyo suffers from billboard-on-roof syndrome too.

"Of those, I like the Piccadilly buildings the most. I think the ticket is relatively simple, large, not too many designs".

I actually think Picadilly is the worst. Looks so lame and out of place.

39617430_0f80b34a34_o.jpg

I think Wylie is perhaps making a very interesting point, which is that if you start out from the premise that we will have a building with lots of ads where Metropolis is being built, it doesn't make sense to whine about it's architectural quality outside of comparisons with similar buildings elsewhere. The Piccadilly building might be lovely underneath, but it's covered with ads and so it isn't.

Thanks Wylie, you have actually made me feel better about Metropolis with a gentle reminder that it's pretty much the same game everywhere.

I think the minimum standards we should impose(if we could) are that the bilboards should only have brand identity and not advertising for a product or service.

hmmmm, good point here. NPS has among the most interesting buildings in the city around it and in spite of its shabbiness should probably be a place that draws me, and yet it doesn't. There is a place for beautiful and elegant squares and promenades in cities (University Ave. etc), but give me Queen West, or Times Square or Picadilly anyday! If Dundas Square turns out garish, oh well so be it. As long as it's vibrant and glittery and draws lots of people I'd say it's a success. Bright lights, big city! My problem is more what's happening to the arteries leading into the square (Dundas West and East, Victoria). Part of the success of a square hinges on it being a hub where vibrant streets converge, which is probably yet another reason why NPS doesn't do it for me.

Back