1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

Highway 427 (401 to QEW) PIC

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
MTO will be holding Public Open Houses on February 19 and 25 at The Valhalla Inn. Time 4-8 pm

This PIC is for preliminary design study from QEW to the 401.

The study will look ROW or bypass lanes and stops. This is a real change as there was no plans to do this back in 2007.

Closures of ramps and interchanges reconfigurations will be look at in more detail.

Fixing the 427/401/27 interchange is an absolute must! The area is a severe bottleneck causing much of the congestion on the highway.

they need to first of all get the 401 running at least 5 lanes each way to help...

Then they have to really fix that whole Eglinton interchange. Thats a huge disaster...

Improving the 427 "Connector"...

Drum and everyone: Of all the major highways around Toronto one I have never been on is this one-the Ontario Route 427 "Connector" as I will call it-connecting the Queen Elizabeth Way to the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway or better known by most as that well-known # 401.

I figured the 427 "Connector" would be a busy road just judging by its strategic location. How many lanes each way does it have and has MTO ever posted average daily usage numbers? How good is the roadway's physical condition and is it showing its age somewhat as I suspect?

I noticed nearby transit routes were noted-was that just for alternatives during any construction? It is good that different options are being considered for 427 improvements in many places on its length.

Was the 427 median ROW designed to accomodate a future rail transit line like many expressways around Chicago were as a good example?

I feel that a TTC Subway extension to the Sherway Gardens area could be an important addition along with improving the 427-which could feed a major park-and-ride TTC terminal.

This road is in a strategic spot as the W end of a "beltway" around Central Toronto and it is important for moving traffic avoiding the Gardiner Expressway and Central Toronto.

-Thoughts and opinion from LI MIKE-

I figured the 427 "Connector" would be a busy road just judging by its strategic location. How many lanes each way does it have and has MTO ever posted average daily usage numbers? How good is the roadway's physical condition and is it showing its age somewhat as I suspect?

It has at least 12 lanes (6 each way) from the 401 to the QEW, sometimes 14.

It is the 2nd busiest highway in the GTA with over 310,000 cars, The 401 is over 500,000 and the offical king in NA. Lol you think Houston or LA would have that prize...

Its the gateway to downtown from people from North West Toronto, Mississauga and Brampton and points North west.

The concrete is getting old and the highway feels very outdated. Needs concrete dividers and such. However there is a lot of construction going on this highway and I think the Province is slowly rebuilding it.

The 427 "Connector": Indeed a very busy road!

LMD: Thanks for that info! Indeed it is as busy as most any major interstate highway around NYC - especially the 401 which has numbers like the "LIE"
(Long Island Expressway) or even higher as a good comparison.

What is the "Connector's" length in miles/KM between the QEW and the 401?
LI MIKE

I love how the display boards have the Bloor Subway westerly extension EA shown as approved and inactive, as well as the Eglinton Subway to the airport EA shown as approved and inactive as well.

There's all this traffic on this MASSIVE highway and there's no mention of switching those two proposed subways lines from inactive to active status.

Not to mention that it says both EAs are APPROVED!

Well obviously the Eglinton West subway EA has been superseded by the Eglinton LRT. The Bloor West extension seems like a no-brainer to me, especially because the East Mall developer has offered free land for the station. The main problem is that the TTC believes that any further extension must be entirely underground, even though it seems to run just fine above ground in the rail corridor east of Kipling. The main issue appears to be one condo building's parking garage that would have to be rebuilt, probably at a cost of several million dollars. So instead, the TTC proposes to spend several hundred million dollars on a tunnel. Ah well.

This 427 improvement sort of baffles me. Of all the highways in Toronto, it seems to me to work the best. I drive it all the time and I almost never get stuck in traffic. Obviously it needs repaving, but redesign seems pretty unnecessary to me. I'd much rather see them get going on widening the 401 west of the 403/410. If you're going to do any highway project in the province, that's the most obvious.

427 works well it just needs concrete dividers and some repaving.

However I think its the whole 401/427/Eglinton/Highway 27/Renfrew/Carlingview interchange needs a big makeover. ;)

Thinking about the highway does have far to many needless on and off ramps and the ramp to Dundas is terrible.

Most of the interchanges are to be redesign with better access.

A number of existing ramps will be remove like Holiday, Valhalla.

There was talk that the cross roads will have opposite direction traffic over the bridges to allow better access to/from 427.

The last open house was in 2006. At That time, there was no plans for any transit lanes on 427.

Since Move2020 has surface, some rethinking has taken place to see Transit Lanes/ROW in print on the notices I got from MTO.

You can put in an ROW in the middle, but will require an extra 2 lanes for stations and not sure if MTO wants to do that.

The interchange at each ends needs to be enhance for better flow.

MTO can only use the existing ROW for improvement.

Good 427 "Connector" info...

Everyone: Good 427 "Connector" information from all participants-again thanks to all here.

Does the 427 have an official name like the QEW or MCF do?
If it does not to me the most obvious name would be:
The - ETOBICOKE EXPRESSWAY - perhaps calling it the "Double E" as a nickname - or perhaps it could be known as the "Double E Connector".

There is no dispute in that the fact the 427 is a strategic Metro Toronto highway and improving it is a good move by the MTO.
LI MIKE

Back