266     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 359     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     1 

High-Speed Drive Through Of Toronto

T

THX YYZ

I was testing out a new in-car camera mount a few weekends ago. I didnt intend to share this at first so this isn't exactly professional. There are camera movement and settings changes durring the video. It was interesting enough that Im sure some of you would like to see it. Enjoy and thanks for all of your contributions. I enjoy visiting here alot.

Lets see if this works:

media.putfile.com/Toronto-High-Speed-Tour

That's ultra cool, dude! I'll watch that video every time I feel homesick when I move away.

Neato!

You should try it again on a day with no traffic.

What's the name of that song?

Fantastic!
Spacing wire should put that up on their site.

Yeah, that's neat. It's my drive back from windsor...that scary curve from the 401 to the 427 (changing lanes and curving with lots of traffic going really fast).

Should show it at next Public Space Invaders night.

Should show it at next Public Space Invaders night.
Indeed! It kind of reminds me of the high-speed video of the Spadina-University subway line showed at this year's PSI night.

Very cool indeed. I've tried to achieve something similar but without the mount. Did you use some form of frameblending to get the motion blur effect rather than having it look like stopmotion animation?

The song is called "Invisable Pedestrian" by the artist "Bent".

This is a project anybody can do. And Im really hoping that you guys give it a shot and share your results and pointers. Im going to be gearing up for a big project and part of the filming I'm doing will have to be done from inside a moving vehicle. I would like to find a way to keep the image as stable as possible.

The camera I borrowed from a friend of mine. Its a fairly average Sony MiniDV HandyCam recorded onto MiniDV cassettes with no trickery. The camera is probably in the $700 range.

I mounted the camera upside down inside the car from the the glass sunroof using a Bogen/Manfrotto #3294 suction cup swivel mount and a camera attatchment which I dont know the separate part number for. I bought these from the DVShop for roughly $175

The video was rotated 180 degrees and sped up by 25x using Adobe Premiere Pro v1.5 with no other special treatment whatsoever.

Anybody can tackle this start to finnish in an afternoon. Figure 1 hour of filming, 1 hour of dubbing, 5 min of editing, and anywhere between 20min to 2 hours to render and export the video depending on what kind of quality settings you use.

I just took all the magic out of what I did but its the honest truth. I've even done this with a computer webcam and a laptop. I will upload a video of that to give you an idea of what even the most basic of camera can achieve.

media.putfile.com/Trans-Canada-Montage

I edited this together for you guys just now for an example. This was done with a $50 webcam and a laptop. The webcam recorded 30FPS video in .avi format. At the time, I didnt have Adobe Premiere so I had to find another way of speeding it up. I used a program called "Snatch It!" to take batch screen captures at intervals I choose and it saves them as jpegs. I then open the image sequence in Quicktime Pro and export it as DV-AVI. I then used windows movie maker to edit.

I dont have to go through that convoluted process anymore. However, the effect that it creates is rather neat. Its a stop-motion appearance. It isnt blurred like how Premiere handles it.

I might re-encode this because Im rather unhappy with the quality. The actual master is about the quality of an average VHS home recording. Its late in the evening for me and Ive spent the last hour prepairing this so maybe tomorow. But in the mean time its a decent example.

The song is called "Invisable Pedestrian" by the artist "Bent"

Back