News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Great Canadian Theatre Company (Ottawa)

W

wyliepoon

Canadian Architect

Link to article

Great Canadian Theatre Company under construction

The Great Canadian Theatre Company's (GCTC) new Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre is situated at the corner of Wellington and Holland Streets in Ottawa. Located on the lowest three storeys of a new 12-storey condominium development being constructed by Windmill Developments, this 20,000-square-foot arts facility will provide greatly improved facilities for the GCTC's patrons and artists, as well as providing a new arts hub for the city of Ottawa.

The facility will house a state-of-the-art 273-seat main stage theatre, a 90-seat multi-flex theatre, special needs accessibility, catered food concession and bar, and full back of house facilities including a workshop, wardrobe atelier, green room, dressing rooms, and hairdressing station. Administration offices are located on the third floor.

As architects of the new theatre, Griffiths Rankin Cook have been working in close cooperation with Busby Perkins + Will (Vancouver and Calgary), the architects of the condominium tower. Construction commenced in September 2005, with the GCTC projecting its opening in March 2007.

The Currents, the name of the entire complex, is expected to be the first Gold-certified residential complex in Canada under the Canadian Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Program. The Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre will become the first "green" theatre in Canada.

For more information, please visit www.gctc.ca/new_theatre/

daylight_building.jpg

night_building.jpg

Irving Greenberg is of the Minto Greenbergs. They are very gernerous to Ottawa charities. Usually donate without credit. I'd like to thank them.

They are also "assisting" a competitor. This is only 1 mile away from their Metropole condo. 352 feet of glass and concrete. The theatre is also in a "mid-town" neighbourhood called Westboro. To the North is the river and Ottawa River Parkway, the south has the Queensway and the "Civic Hospital". Generally a very $$ hood.

Thanks for the posting.

Good for Ottawa, the GCTC and Westboro! When I lived in Ottawa I was a season ticket holder for the theatre, and I'm pleased to see them thriving so many years later. It will be a great addition to the hood.

I remember being at a GCTC play one summer at the exisitng location. A skunk had died in the basement and the place reeked.

The new facility will be a huge improvement.

On CBC radio yesterday, the ever-grandiose Pinchas Zukerman called for the National Arts Centre to build a new concert centre in downtown Ottawa. He suggests three halls - a 2,000-seater, a 1,200-seater and a 500-seater. He proposes building across the street from the present NAC facility, a site currently occupied by a seven-storey Federal government building. There is already a planned 925-seat concert hall a block away, with construction scheduled to begin later this year.

Don't worry babel, Zuckerman's ego is so immense it will soon take him aloft. Prevailing winds will move him on.

Has it ever been determined why he returned sooner than expected?

^No idea, but shortly after his return there was a new conflict within the orchestra when the NAC requested that the artists sign a life-long non-disclosure agreement concerning the goings-on back stage. Some have suggested that this was requested in order to placate the maestro.

Back