605     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

Google rolling out Live Transit updates

kEiThZ

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/06/know-when-your-bus-is-late-with-live.html

Google's rolling out live transit updates. Toronto's not on there yet.

I wish Metrolinx and the TTC would work with Google more. IMO Google Transit is essentially a marketing tool for public transit. You can immediately see how long transit would take and how you would get there. It helps make public transit easier to use and understand.

I'd also like to see Metrolinx work with Google to get Presto on the Google wallet. Google wallet doesn't just enable payments. They also enable offers. It would allow transit authorities to offer incentives for transit use or other targetted offers (maybe partner with vendors on the subway system).

These kinds of technological advancements could help make transit more 'accessible' to the average joe. They certainly help reduce the massive advantage in convenience that a car offers. And thats' a good thing.

Google's rolling out live transit updates. Toronto's not on there yet.

I wish Metrolinx and the TTC would work with Google more.
The city is already publishing the live data - which is the source of all those apps. There's no reason that Google couldn't tap into the same live feed for Toronto, just like everyone else.

The city is already publishing the live data - which is the source of all those apps. There's no reason that Google couldn't tap into the same live feed for Toronto, just like everyone else.
As we saw with the roll out of Streetview, Google has a pecking order of the world to preview. Toronto will be in the first Canadian batch, but the 3-4th overall, is my guess. Remember how long the GTA was without "live" traffic data?

They have 6 cities so far: Boston, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Madrid and Turin.

I agree with kEiThZ.

While the city could always just wait for Google to take advantage of the live data, it should pre-emptively work with them for the free advertising that comes from being one of the first cities in the world to enable that.

Question is: does the TTC really want everyone to know how often buses and streetcars are actually on time?

How do they put out the data? Is it in a format that Google can use? Or is it just for nextbus? Do they have APIs like TfL puts out?

I'd love to know more. In my opinion these recent mobile developments give the transit agencies a real chance to improve their image, accessibility and service for very little investment.

And best of all Google makes these services cross-platform. It'll work on any phone or computer. Imagine looking up your destination on Google Maps, getting directions, getting updates on the way to the bus stop and paying through your Presto or credit card by swiping your phone. Transit will seem almost cool with these changes!

But they do require agencies to make some effort to work with companies like Google.

Last edited:
The specifications on the feed are here - http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/o...nnel=6e886aa8cc819210VgnVCM10000067d60f89RCRD

Presumably Google is already tapping into this feed to get Boston, Portland, and San Francisco.

Anyone tried using this, is the data live. I found websites that used it and matched up their data with the nextbus website ... they matched!
This looks like it'd be a fun project. There are a lot of them out there now though.

Here's a question though, is the subway information live at all ? I don't think so.

Back