News   Jul 19, 2024
 90     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 621     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 400     1 

Good Restaurant in Toronto - Advice Please!

lauramhairi

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am visiting Toronto (from London, UK) on 7th July for a week with my family to celebrate my Dad's 60th Birthday. He was born and bred in Toronto so we know all the sites etc to visit however we would like to pre-book into a really nice restaurant for one night as a surprise/treat for him. Does anyone have any recommendations? Price isn't too much of an issue as it's a one off. Would be looking for any type of food, somewhere with nice views would be good, good food with a good atmosphere. I imagine we'd have a bit to drink so nowhere too stuffy. Any advice really appreciated! Like any major city, there are multitudes of restaurants that come up on general internet searches but it's not the same as acutal people's advice!
If you need any further info from me just shout! Our ages are 60, 55, 27 & 25 and we're pretty young and up for a good time!
Thanks in advance!

Hi all,
I am visiting Toronto (from London, UK) on 7th July for a week with my family to celebrate my Dad's 60th Birthday. He was born and bred in Toronto so we know all the sites etc to visit however we would like to pre-book into a really nice restaurant for one night as a surprise/treat for him. Does anyone have any recommendations? Price isn't too much of an issue as it's a one off. Would be looking for any type of food, somewhere with nice views would be good, good food with a good atmosphere. I imagine we'd have a bit to drink so nowhere too stuffy. Any advice really appreciated! Like any major city, there are multitudes of restaurants that come up on general internet searches but it's not the same as acutal people's advice!
If you need any further info from me just shout! Our ages are 60, 55, 27 & 25 and we're pretty young and up for a good time!
Thanks in advance!

You're better off going to www.chowhound.com and posting this inquiry in the Ontario section.

Why not book a reservation to the CN Tower? Nice view for sure. Or the Canoe at TD Tower.

While you might be looking for a more formal occasion, the Scaramouche Pasta Bar is also a great way to get the same kitchen and view for a much lower cost.

Lee and Jamie Kennedy's are both quite good and relatively reasonable, but they might be a bit too harried for that kind of gathering.

I've heard good things about Globe on the Danforth.

If you're looking for high rise food, Canoe's a much better bet than the comparably-priced 360 at the CN Tower or Panorama at Manulife, for that matter.

There are definitely some that I'm missing, especially since I've been out of town for a little bit.

Keeping in mind the demographics of the people you're appealing to, I would hazard to suggest the Drake. It's a bit of an institution in Toronto, even if people hate it for being too scenester or a catalyst for the surrounding area's inevitable condo gentrification. It doesn't matter - the food is pretty inventive, it's a fun atmosphere and the wine list was decent the last time I was there. It's a good place to have a light meal and then slide into a city-wide bender.

I'd recommend Crush. Excellent food, best wine list and best service in the city. Or try Susur, or Splendido. If dim sum in your taste, then Lai Wah Heen is the place for you.

You shouldn't have a problem on Saturday night. Thursday night is the busiest restaurant night here. People go out of town for the weekend, and Saturday's crowd is usually suburbanites. If you group are interested in food, you'll be much appreciated in a good restaurant on a Saturday night.

If you are looking for a bit more scenery on a patio, you should try "Lee" (Susur Lee's next door restaurant to his top end restaurant "Susur") on King Street West at Portland. Crush is good too, but the patio is a bit quiet and more known for their wine list than their food. All of these restaurants are in the King Street West area, within a 2 minute walk. Can't go wrong with any of these choices.

My vote is for Harbour 60 if you love steak (I love being by the water). I agree with going to Canoe (it's high up in the TD Tower, beautiful sightlines, gorgeous food, desserts and presentation). Lots of star spotting usually at Sassafraz ($$$$) in Toronto's hip and trendy Yorkville area, as with Xacutti along College Street for Indian fusion (and beautiful staff)

Good luck! Have fun in Toronto!

Back