936     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Good area to live <$350k thats 20 min subway ride from downtown Toronto

paradigm

Member Bio
Reaction score
All,
Does anyone have suggestions on good areas to live where I can purchase a small home for less than $350000, that is within 20 minute subway ride to the downtown Toronto core (Bay & Dundas area)?

I am not too familiar with the surrounding areas of Toronto, and would definitely like to avoid jane & finch, regent park type areas. Looking for a smallish townhome that i can partiallly rent out of need-be, something that is has 2 bedooms, 1+ bath, etc.

I do not want to get a condo downtown.

Thanks

Under the constraints you've given it is difficult to find such a property.

The first area that comes to mind is along Danforth, East of Pape. Your commute may be more than 20 minutes and you will see mostly 2 bedrooms and 1 bath or 3 bedroom semi-detached.

If you were to modify one constraint to GO Train, it would still be difficult, but more probable. For example, Oriole and Old Cummer station are less than 30 minute commutes downtown

The following link is the GO Train system map. Make sure you look at the thicker coloured lines. The other lines are the GO Bus which can be slow. Look 2 or 3 stations from downtown.
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/schedules/sysmap.pdf

I would have to agree with being set on a house. More space, privacy and a yard. But that's just my preference.

Hope this helps!

PM if you have any other questions.

That may be difficult, unless you're going to take a bus or two to get to the subway. If you have any questions you can send me a message. It is unlikely that the following places will have anything in your price range and preferred townhouse style, but you could try:

- Eglinton West: There is a pocket of bungalows west of Eglinton West Station (between Dufferin and Marlee, north of Eglinton and south of Roselawn) that sometimes go for below 350 000$ but you'll have to settle for an out-of-date house that just sneaks into that price-bracket. (Completely renoed 2 bedroom bungalows were being listed at and above 400 000$ last year.) This is a vastly under-rated neighbourhood.

- Dupont/Dufferin: will need to take a bus. There is some infill here (newer townhouses) but mainly it is old semis. The neighbourhood is friendly but still in transition; I don't know that the condo/loft redevelopments are progressing as quickly as anticipated.

- Caledonia : I've seen the odd fixer-upper at the western end of St. Clair (Caledonia, McRoberts, or further out to Keele) in that range. This area's housing stock is old and can be a bit ramshackle (i.e. older DIY renos.) You'll need to take the streetcar, which increases your commute by about 10 minutes.

- Oakwood-Vaughan: may also have some houses at that price level, although there are some very expensive streets out that way too. This locale also requires a bus/streetcar ride to the subway. This neighbourhood hits the headlines more often than it should but its actually not too bad. Lots of families. A wide variety of incomes and ethnicities, I'm actually a fan - Toronto at its best and worst.

- East Danforth: You could also try or the very eastern-most parts of the Danforth, although the townhouse style you're lookign for will likely go for above 350 000$. You may be able to find the odd older home in need of renos for that price, though.

There may also be some very urban town-houses on Jarvis (right downtown) or west King St West out by the Exhibition, but I don't know what they go for. Jarvis is walkable, King is not directly subway-accessible (streetcar).

Increasing your budget to 400 000$ will help you, and at the 450 000$ range you'll have it a bit easier. If you're willing to live in Scarborough or some of the less transit-friendly areas may be able to stay within your budget.

(Edited to add: I agree with OolloO's Go Train suggestion.)

Last edited:
Do you need something immediately? If not, you could try Riverside Towns - 1 & 2 bedroom townhouse development. You should be able to find a 2-level, 2-bedroom unit within your price range.

http://www.riversidetowns.com/flash.php

All,
Does anyone have suggestions on good areas to live where I can purchase a small home for less than $350000, that is within 20 minute subway ride to the downtown Toronto core (Bay & Dundas area)?

I am not too familiar with the surrounding areas of Toronto, and would definitely like to avoid jane & finch, regent park type areas. Looking for a smallish townhome that i can partiallly rent out of need-be, something that is has 2 bedooms, 1+ bath, etc.

I do not want to get a condo downtown.

Thanks

Back