1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 543     0 

Globe - Ottawa moves to reshape the House

Whoaccio

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ottawa moves to reshape the House
Democratic Reform Minister Steven Fletcher is in the advanced stages of preparing legislation that would reshape the House of Commons, adding dozens of seats to the three fast-growing provinces that are now seriously underrepresented.

Legislation could be ready this autumn, said a government official speaking on background, or in the new year.

The new seats would most likely be concentrated in the burgeoning suburban and exurban ridings that ring Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. Voters in these ridings – typically younger and multiethnic –would finally wield a political clout that has been denied them in previous elections in favour of voters in mostly white rural ridings.

“We never had a debate and said that new Canadians, visible minorities, people who live in the GTA [greater Toronto], Calgary, Edmonton and the Lower Mainland [of British Columbia], young people, gays and lesbians – that they should all have less representation,†observes Matthew Mendelsohn, director of the Mowat Centre for Policy Innovation, a new Toronto-based think tank that examines the impact of public policy on the province of Ontario. “If we had framed it that way, no Canadian would support it.

“But we haven't had that debate. We've just allowed institutional inertia to carry on.â€

That may all be about to change.

A previous attempt at riding redistribution last year died on the order paper amid howls of complaint from Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, because his province received far fewer new seats under the proposed bill than its fast-growing population warranted.

A federal government official said that in the new legislation, “there will be different numbers,†ones that should please Ontario voters. The final figure, said an official, would be closer to the 21 seats that a representation-by-population formula would suggest the province is entitled to than the 10 seats offered in the previous bill.

Alberta could be awarded up to six seats and British Columbia up to seven, taking the current Parliament from 308 members to around 340.

Adding so many seats to the Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta totals could transform the political map, potentially putting an end to this decade's chronic run of unstable minority governments.

The Conservatives could be expected to dominate any new Alberta seats, would be favoured in added British Columbia ridings, and would be competitive in many of the new ridings in Ontario, which may be why they are keen on redistribution. Being just 12 seats shy of a majority, they would have the best shot at winning a majority in an enlarged Commons.

Still, the Liberal Party is the party of cities. Apart from their Atlantic redoubt, the party's remaining strength is mostly concentrated in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. The new ridings should offer fertile ground for Liberal victories.

But downtowns and older suburbs, where Liberals tend to dominate, are not the locus of population growth. Cities are growing at their edges, as new suburbs replace farmlands. It is no coincidence that Prime Minister Stephen Harper forsook the United Nations earlier this week for an event at Tim Hortons, or that Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff spent Thursday in Burlington, in the Golden Horseshoe, decrying what he claimed were the inadequacies of the government's stimulus efforts.

One obvious loser in any parliamentary reform would be the Bloc Québécois, which seems to be in permanent possession of about 50 seats, delivered by Quebec voters who prefer to have a sovereigntist voice representing them in the House of Commons.

But the province isn't growing, and may even be on the cusp of population decline. Expanding the size of the House of Commons would weaken the influence of Quebec's voice in Parliament and the Bloc along with it.

The Bloc is expected to do all it can to prevent parliamentary reform.

If Parliament fails to pass the new legislation before the next election, Statistics Canada will report the results of the 2011 census to the Chief Electoral Officer, who will assign new seats to provinces as warranted. But it could take several years for the non-partisan electoral commissions to redraw the riding boundaries while consulting with the public and Parliament. And Ontario, especially, would continue to be underrepresented in the House.

“The bedrock principle of political legitimacy in a liberal democracy is one person, one vote,†observes Sujit Choudhry, a law professor at the University of Toronto who has studied the question of parliamentary representation. “This is what we fought for.â€

In Canada, today, population growth is now almost exclusively confined to major cities in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta. But constitutional conventions and acts of Parliament over the years have entrenched protections for smaller and more rural provinces and for Quebec, creating a serious parliamentary skew.

If all ridings were equal, each would have about 108,000 people. But a Prince Edward Island riding typically has only 35,000 voters and a Saskatchewan riding 72,000, while Alberta ridings average 127,000 voters. It takes almost four Calgary votes to equal one PEI vote.

And the situation will only grow worse, because all the growth in Canada is occurring in those parts that are already most underrepresented.

Since stripping provinces of existing seats is legally and politically impossible, the only solution is to grow Parliament.

Critics maintain that failure to pass legislation to permit the new ridings would be, even if unintentionally, racist, since most population growth in Canada is driven by immigration, and the vast majority of immigrants are non-white. Underrepresenting high-growth areas in the House means depriving new, visible-minority voters of the electoral clout of voters in places that are almost uniformly white.

“Unfortunately there is a racial aspect creeping into this as well,†observes Prof. Choudhry. “So there's another cleavage developing, and in the long run that's dangerous.â€

It is not possible to reconfigure Parliament without cost – to the Atlantic provinces, to Quebec, to Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Even within Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta there will be losers, as rural ridings cede influence to their urban counterparts – assuming the electoral commissions apportion the new ridings in areas where the population is growing.

But there may be no alternative if Parliament is to evolve into something that more closely reflects today's urban, more multiethnic Canada. It is simply a question of how. And when.
seats_graphic_246906a.jpg

This is way overdue, especially considering rep by pop is one of those values that most people find fairly uncontroversial. I think an extra 40 or so seats would have a positive influence on politics as well. As it is, disproportionate effort goes into supporting different minority groups (i.e. LPC-Atlantic Canada, BQ-Non-Montreal Quebec, CPC-rural hicks) at the expense of more typical Canadians, who are almost exclusively urban or suburban service sector workers in diverse communities. It will allow parties to get a majority without having to disproportionately pander to one group or another.

Back when McGuinty was complaining about how earlier HoC reforms would short change Ontario, I thought it would have been a perfect opportunity for the Libs to beat the CPC on the head about not supporting democracy and screwing Ontario. Why they let the CPC take the mantle of obviously needed democratic reform, in favor of using EI reform as an election issue, is beyond be.

Re-Shaping Canada's House of Commons...and a comparison to the USA...

Whoaccio: Good Globe article on expanding Canada's House of Commons to accurately represent growth areas - it may change things somewhat but since it is based on population they are doing the right thing.

In the USA the House of Representatives has been frozen at 435 members for some time now-with a US Census approaching in 2010 some growth states will gain members but at the expense of those losing population and stagnant growth states. Those district re-drawings are usually done by the party in power but I feel that more seats could help matters in states like California
and end the seat losses in other states that are as mentioned losing population or are stagnant in growth.

If there could be a non-partisan way to increase the number of US House of Representatives I would be all for it if it keeps representation fair. That is what Canada seeks to do I believe.

Thoughts and insight by Long Island Mike

Oh Dear, I can just see Quebec starting to complain!!

They would end up having the lowest population per district.

As the principle here seems to be (as I think it should be) that the larger provinces have equal representation ... then why bring the people per seat below that of Quebec. Surely if Quebec is currently the lowest, then the other 3 big provinces should simply get the same ratio as Quebec. How many more MPs do we want to $pay$!

Ontario's share goes from 34% to 37%...

Quebec and Ontario would control 202 seats and yes the share went up from 58% to 60%...

Oh Dear, I can just see Quebec starting to complain!!

They would end up having the lowest population per district.

To be fair, after this reform, Quebec will be the least represented province. Using the same number of ~89,800 people per riding, they should have 5 more seats at 80. Maybe adding this will help to placate Quebec complaints.

Where would the riding's go in Quebec...

In and around Quebec City and Montreal???

About riding's in Toronto, it depends...

If we get more riding's in the Peel area, they may just become long term liberal riding's

Ya, I don't quite understand how they plan on short-changing Quebec like that when the CPC has been all about breaking through in that province in order to get their much-coveted majority (which if they do, I just might have to invoke my Czech citizenship).

Not only that, but it's not fair to not add seats in Quebec as well.

I'm glad to see they came to their sense though and are giving us our fair share as opposed to last year's numbers. York Region's about to get a couple more MPs, that's for sure.

Ah ... that explains it!

But why would the Globe and Mail use the 2001 census instead of the 2006 census! That's what's supposed to be used isn't it?

Very poor analysis by the Globe!

I know Peel Region is one of the most underrepresented parts of the country. I imagine York is up there too.

I'd suggest that the urban/rural split is far more interesting the provincial breakdown. An urbanite in Calgary probably has more in common with a Torontonian than other Albertans. Ditto for a Torontonian and a Montrealer in comparison with their respective rural counterparts. This re-distribution will add a ton more weight to the "urban caucus" if you will. And that could have profound implications for urban issues (like transit and gun control for example) in Canada.

Ah ... that explains it!

But why would the Globe and Mail use the 2001 census instead of the 2006 census! That's what's supposed to be used isn't it?

Very poor analysis by the Globe!

No. The 2006 census is not used for redistricting. The 2011 census will be used, as redistricting is only done every ten years, on every second census. The last time we updated the seats was 2004 from the 2001 data.

Back