News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 865     0 

Fish & Chips!

Tried the fish and chips at Beertown (yes I know, a corporate chain of the type I usually rail against) and they were quite decent - two generously large pieces of cod, batter was crispy and not too thick/doughy, if a tad under salted.

Tried the fish and chips at Beertown (yes I know, a corporate chain of the type I usually rail against) and they were quite decent - two generously large pieces of cod, batter was crispy and not too thick/doughy, if a tad under salted.

Do they have malt vinegar for the fish? Do they include a side of slaw, and if so what kind (creamy or vinegar); and are the fries good, and fresh or frozen?

Do they have malt vinegar for the fish? Do they include a side of slaw, and if so what kind (creamy or vinegar); and are the fries good, and fresh or frozen?
Don't know about the vinegar as I can't stand the smell of that stuff. Slaw is included, but I told them to hold it (as well as the tartar sauce). The fries were quite good in that they were crispy and flavourful - I didn't get that weird taste when they're frozen, so I'm assuming they were fresh.

Don't know about the vinegar as I can't stand the smell of that stuff. Slaw is included, but I told them to hold it (as well as the tartar sauce). The fries were quite good in that they were crispy and flavourful - I didn't get that weird taste when they're frozen, so I'm assuming they were fresh.

You don't like vinegar?

I've never heard of such a thing.

I mean the green skin tone and propensity for voyeuristically observing the City's darker side...........

And that leading you be a 'family man'............

Maybe that should have put me on to your questionable nature.

Last edited:
Do they have malt vinegar for the fish?
It drives me mad when restaurants put the malt vinegar in the fridge, so that you're pouring cold liquid onto your otherwise hot fries and fish. So, now when I ask for malt vinegar, I ask that it not be from the fridge.

Considering that malt vinegar has long been a staple in the world of pickling and preserving, it does not need to be stored in the refrigerator. This is especially true if you're going through a lot of the stuff so that oxidation is unlikely.

Refrigeration vs. Room Temperature Storage

When it comes to storing opened malt vinegar, you might wonder whether it’s best to keep it in the refrigerator or at room temperature. The answer depends on your preference and how quickly you plan to use it. Refrigeration can help slow down the oxidation process and extend the shelf life of opened malt vinegar. It also helps maintain its flavor and quality. However, if you use malt vinegar frequently and go through it relatively quickly, storing it at room temperature is perfectly fine. If you choose to refrigerate the vinegar, make sure to tightly seal the container to prevent any odors from permeating. On the other hand, if you opt for room temperature storage, keep the vinegar away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Ultimately, the choice between refrigeration and room temperature storage depends on your usage patterns and personal preference.

Last edited:
I had the fish n chips at the Bier Markt on The Esplanade over the summer and was quite pleased.

As a kid in the east-end, Len Duckworth's was my family's go-to.

Tartar sauce is first mentioned in French cookbooks from the 19th century as an accompaniment to beef tartare. At its core, tartar sauce is made out of mayonnaise mixed with pickle relish. All recipes and versions of tartar sauce are simple variations on this main theme.

The origins of malt vinegar in Britain go back several hundred years. As Britain is a beer-drinking nation, the early vinegars were simply beer that had turned sour; it was left and encouraged to acetify completely, and then processed, packed and sold in the area around the local beer brewery.

Don't like malt vinegar? Go with beer on the side.

Tartar sauce is first mentioned in French cookbooks from the 19th century as an accompaniment to beef tartare. At its core, tartar sauce is made out of mayonnaise mixed with pickle relish. All recipes and versions of tartar sauce are simple variations on this main theme.

The origins of malt vinegar in Britain go back several hundred years. As Britain is a beer-drinking nation, the early vinegars were simply beer that had turned sour; it was left and encouraged to acetify completely, and then processed, packed and sold in the area around the local beer brewery.

Don't like malt vinegar? Go with beer on the side.
I'll take the beer every time, thank you very much.

I also despise tartar sauce.

I had the fish n chips at the Bier Markt on The Esplanade over the summer and was quite pleased.

As a kid in the east-end, Len Duckworth's was my family's go-to.

Duckworth's is the #3 in the east end to me. Its portions are a bit smaller, and the fries less appealing that numbers 1 and 2

Hamish' Kitchen is #1

Followed by

British Style Fish n Chips at Coxwell/Dundas.

Last edited:

Back