News   Aug 16, 2024
 692     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 546     0 

Fantino to run for Mayor of Vaughan?

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting - he's been touted as a Conservative MPP, a candidate for mayor of Toronto, but he'll get a lot less opposition running in there than in Toronto.

Excerpt:

Is OPP's Fantino to run for Vaughan mayor?

OPP commissioner 'testing the waters' for 2010, sources say

Mar 24, 2009 04:30 AM

Phinjo Gombu
URBAN AFFAIRS REPORTER

It appears the stage is being set in Vaughan for a mayoral run next year by outgoing Ontario Provincial Police commissioner Julian Fantino.

For months, rumours have been swirling in the politically volatile city that the former Toronto police chief is exploring the idea of running for Linda Jackson's job in 2010.

Fantino, set to retire within a year, was not available for comment yesterday. A spokesperson said the commissioner is "not considering any future career at this time and remains committed to the Ontario Provincial Police."

However, a source familiar with Fantino's intentions told the Star Ontario's top cop has made it clear that if he runs he would present himself as a candidate ready to clean up Vaughan's image – a city beset by controversy – "like the sheriff riding into town."

Another source said Fantino hasn't decided yet, but he's likely considering post-retirement plans.

A third person said community business leaders are aware Fantino is "testing the waters" and the suggestion that he might run "is not idle gossip."

Several sources mentioned Sam Ciccolini, one of the principals of Vaughan-based Masters Insurance, as likely to be assisting any Fantino campaign.

Some of the comments in the Star are interesting - my favourite is this:

why not run in Calgary Alberta
he already has supporters there - they staged a parade last week.

Submitted by gonzo at 8:51 AM Tuesday, March 24 2009

He would almost certainly be an improvement. There are serious questions being asked about the integrity of the current mayor, and there were serious questions as well about the previous one. Politics in Vaughan seems to be a bit of a sideshow. Fantino, as an outsider, but with an established track record, would probably be what they need.

Obs. Walt:

Considering the amount of trouble Fantino has gotten himself into lately (if not historically), I am not sure if he will prove to be much of an improvement. Certainly, his record of being open and transparent is highly questionable.

AoD

If there's one person the "City Above Toronto" deserves to have as its mayor, it's Fantino. I mean, why stop at three demonstrably corrupt mayors in a row? (Who was before Lorna Jackson, BTW?)

Why not give a shot to the guy whose tenure as Toronto police chief gave rise to such wonderful events as the RCMP's discovery of a shakedown/drug dealing ring by the club district's drug squad?

Even COPS hate him!

The City of Vaughan -- "Always reminding you why you don't live there."

Don't get so pious. Toronto is just better at hiding its corruption.

Don't get so pious. Toronto is just better at hiding its corruption.

i'm not criticizing it for any other reason. i'm criticizing the slogan its self. it's arrogance wrapped into a geographic description. it's not even a apt geographic description. if there was a city above toronto, we'd probably wouldn't get much sunlight. why not use "the city north of toronto"? and why include the name of another city as your slogan and focus your slogan on another city?

i've always seen it as a sort of snub. it's a double entendre. when i read their signs, i really see: "hey toronto, we're insecure of our own existence therefore we have to resort to snobbery just so we can feel good about ourselves".

Last edited:
Glen:

Not really, considering MFP and the amount of airtime that one has gotten.

AoD

I was not referring to the publicly known corruption. Toronto, as with most mature cities, has its corruption further ingrained, and therefore out of sight. Mostly not as overt as what happens in Vaughan but certainly insidious.

I don't think there's been much evidence of corruption of City of Toronto politicians - not in the same way we see in Vaughan, or the Toronto Catholic District School Board - or many Chicago politicians. Corrupt employees are always possible - inside or outside government.

Fantino as a politician ...good grief, the guy always sounds like a facist! And while that might not be unusual for a police officer - I can't imagine it would play well with the city as a whole. I'd think that Miller would be delighted if it was Fantino who was the opponent!

He doesn't live in Toronto, and I don't think would be eligible for elected office in Toronto. It does beg the question as to who might oppose Miller. (A separate thread.)

Back