News   May 03, 2024
 671     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 307     0 

European Appliances - worth it?

X Condo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to get a feel for everyone's opinion of the relative "value" of european appliances (aka built in ovens, drop in stove tops, built in fridge etc)

If you were a potential buyer of a new, would you value high end appliances, if so, would you be willing to pay more for a unit with these high end appliances?

OR

Do you look for a unit with more "standard" stainless steel appliances?

I'm curious about people's perception of these appliances and if the added cost would be beneficial in the long run.

IMO its all a matter of personal preferences and how long you plan to stay there.

If you were to sell the place within 1 year of occupancy, then you might recover the additional cost for them.
However, I think if you were to sell anytime thereafter, you wont get your money back; but it might make your unit more desirable and marketable than one that doesnt.

One potential buyer's perspective (not necessarily educated): if everything were exactly the same except the appliances (and you wanted to charge me more for European-style appliances), I would pick the unit with "standard" appliances thinking they would be easier and cheaper to replace should they breakdown. I know some places have management that might help with these things, but I've never dealt with this firsthand. European appliances look nicer and tend to have a "custom" look which looks more expensive - this may be a deterrent or attraction.

EDIT: also depends on the unit itself. To me, European appliances might make more sense if the unit and price are higher end (compared to just a starter unit) - what are your neighbours doing? If everybody is going for European, you might be at a disadvantage if you don't.

Last edited:
European Appliances

That reminds me of my old Marketing professor who once said that the lazy marketer slaps the word "European" on merchandise as an excuse to jack the price up by 10%. ;)

In all seriousness though, I think it depends on just what is meant by European appliances. If the vendors mean a dinky bar-style fridge and a tiny combination washer/dryer - then you might want to reconsider what you're paying for!

While I like the cooktop, if the oven is the same as in the model kitchen than I wouldnt do it.
I guess if you dont use it much it wouldnt matter, but the stove is really really small. You'd be lucky fit a frozen pizza in that thing, -nevermind roasting a chicken or a turkey.

As for the standard appliance, -Im happy with the fridge. It's got a good rating, and I couldnt really care about the dishwasher (Im a single guy who doesnt really use much other than 1pot/pan and a few plates, so I probably wont ever use it).

That being said Im a little worried about the range. Amana isnt a great range/stove brand (and that's putting it lightly). And the big question is: Amana has discontinued their slide-in ranges, so what is GreatGulf going to supply people with?

In anycase, I expect live @ X for about 5years, -so if my appliances can last that long (and stainless steel is still the trend) I'll be happy.

I'm sorry I don't understand this whole "European appliances" thing. WTF is a European appliance? Pictures please? How is a stove in Europe than a stove here? I've been to Europe, and I don't recall any differences.

Here are the details as posted by another member on the X Condo thread:

---------------------------------------
Not happy with the Amana appliances myself. Am disappointed that for such a high end building, they are "cheaping out". So I will be paying through the nose for the upgrades.

Here are the particulars (all built in) for those interested parties:

The built in appliances are a Liebher fridge, Fulgor cooktop and oven, Porter Charles dishwasher, Panasonic microwave and Maytag washer and dryer for $8905.

The 2nd option for built in appliances is the Liebher fridge, AEG cooktop and steam oven as well as washer and dryer, Panasonic microwave and Porter Charles dishwasher for $11260.

We also have an Amana stainless package upgrade, not built in though, for $1785.

I'm going for the $8905 package as the Maytag washer and dryer more than fit the bill (plus they will be hidden) and besides, who needs a steam oven? Check out the Fulgor cooktop websites. After checking them out, I am very impressed with the quality and the look.

Liebherr fridges rock. I have one and love it. Food does not rot in it. I cannot explain how it works...but seriously the shelf life of food is easily tripple a regular fridge. Its also supposed to be very energy efficient, makes the best ice cubes and has a super freeze mode to seal in flavor. Love mine. Also love my Bosch dishwasher. My fancy American professional range is another story.

Except for that the "European" appliances you're thinking of aren’t really European.

If your unit had real European appliances installed in the kitchen then you'll probably never find a buyer on this side of the Atlantic. To understand why, you should go search for a picture of a British fridge.

Most of the euro appliances will be covered under basic and new homeowners warranty. If you are buying as investment for rental, then stick with the north american brands. You will be happy you did five years down the road when service and parts are required.

Back