271     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 394     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 781     0 

e-Dentity: not your run-of-the-mill Mirvish production

I

interchange42

I just saw a preview of e-Dentity tonight, which officially opens next Tuesday, and runs until May 20, at the Royal Alex. I'll admit right up front that I have a positive predispostiion in regards to this show - some friends are involved. That said, I'm prouder than ever to know them.

e-Dentity is unlike any play Mirvish has programmed before, and it's going to be a tough sell to the blue-hairs that make up much of their regular audience. There is no central narrative, no traditional set, and nothing for those unfamiliar with the internet to relate to. For those of us on the net however, e-Dentity mines some real truth from cyberspace, and presents it variously humourously and dramatically, and always with impressive visuals, rhythmic movement and sound. The Royal Alex's proscenium arch has been filled will essentially a giant see-though computer monitor that is presents a screen filled with dazzling projections overtop of the human element behind it all.

It's impressively clever. It's not like anything you've seen. It won't be quickly forgotten. Your great aunt won't get it. It could be you up there on stage. All good reasons to go.

...from the Star today:

Show bridges the digital divide

e-Dentity does the seemingly impossible: translates Internet to the stage

Mar 29, 2007 04:30 AM
Raju Mudhar
Entertainment Reporter

With the vast array of possibilities provided by broadband access and the point and click of a mouse, the Internet truly is a theatre of the absurd, mashing up our wildest passions, the most obscure information and many more mundane aspects of life. It is a window into our souls parsed out in chat-room flame wars, uploaded videos and email forwards. For many, it has become a way of life – and not just the Second one.

But it is rarely represented truthfully on TV or in film. Maybe this is because watching somebody sit alone at a computer interacting with "virtual" people is not the most thrilling experience. So on those rare occasions when it is represented in other media, it's usually hyper-stylized or done away with in a matter of minutes.

It's even more difficult to represent in theatre. But a few have been willing to take up the challenge.

Returning to the stage tonight is Theatre Gargantua's e-Dentity, which proves it's possible to make Web-inspired theatre. This play first garnered raves when it launched at the Artword Theatre in 2005 and is now coming back bigger than before as a Mirvish co-production at the Royal Alexandra Theatre.

It's truly a multimedia spectacle, with computer-monitor projections framing the cast of five as they scroll through fragments of well-known Internet memes: cybersex, chat rooms, even World of Warcraft. Let's face it: This is not Mamma Mia!

"The play is kind of structured like an online surfing experience. There are episodic fragments in the same way that you experience the Internet. Some characters reappear and some don't appear ever again," says director Jacquie Thomas. "There's this digital character called Chad, who we describe as what Google would look like if it was a person, sort of an amalgamation of bits and bytes."

Writer and co-star Michael Spence says the idea was to convey the random noise and sheer size of the Internet. "It is so vast, there is no single force driving it. It's driven by the magnitude of human need and what it facilitates. All these things, all these inputs that are creating this enormous machine and it's very analogous to life," says Spence.

"It kind of pokes fun, or suggests, that the evolution of the Internet is somehow linked to our own evolution," says Thomas.

Of course, because of the challenges of bringing a mostly text-based thing to the stage, there have to be many creative ways to portray the technology.

"Some of it is more literal – like, you see a desktop and stuff like that. But some of it is more poetical," says Thomas. "There's a scene in the play that's a long-distance relationship, but it's much more peculiar. These two characters are emailing back and forth, but we don't portray that in a traditional way. You don't see that interface, but it's obvious that this relationship is facilitated by the Internet."

As the name of the play suggests, E-dentity examines ideas of identity and the self in the anonymous online world It really is a play of ideas, on how we have come to interact using this new membrane that links so many millions of people.

One typical example explored is the Internet meme of Dogsh-t Girl – or Doodoo Girl as it is called in the play. This refers to an incident in South Korea where a young woman's pet dog relieved itself on the subway, much to the horror of the other passengers. Photos were taken with camera phones and after they were uploaded to the Internet, widespread outrage soon followed.

"We're using it to show the idea of the public becoming the policing device and how people get out of control," says Thomas.

"It's about the facility that the Internet gives for anonymous policing and it facilitates mob mentality in a different way," says Spence.

Most impressive is how the company transforms a sit-down-and-read medium into such an action-oriented performance. The ensemble incorporates music and physical movement that really bring the show, and the Web itself, to life.

"We use all of the same components (as traditional Mirvish shows), but we kind of arrange them differently and in more of a contemporary way. So it's a bit different from the big musical shows that they have," says Thomas. "I think time will tell, but I'm hoping we'll be able to win over the audience that's used to seeing stuff here. I think that people are ready to see something different, maybe they're ready to embrace something that's happening in the alternative theatre community."

..a novel take from a fashionable Globe writer:

Cyberspace gets upstaged

Originally an art-house hit, e-Dentity opens Tuesday in one of Toronto's top theatres. Ivor Tossell looks at how it made the leap

IVOR TOSSELL
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

In two of Toronto's grandest theatres, two productions are under way. One is The Phantom of the Opera. It involves a chandelier, a soprano, and Andrew Lloyd Webber: the kind of spectacle these theatres were built for. Down the road, at the Royal Alex, the other show is called e-Dentity, and it's about life on the Web. Could it be? At long last, has somebody written "Internet: The Musical"?

Not by a long shot. But here's a large-scale production, recruited from Toronto's alternative theatre scene, that has some big ideas about how to bring the Internet to the stage.

E-Dentity plays out as series of vignettes, each one brooding over the needs that drive people to find themselves online, looking for something. Its sketches range from a Christian girl who unwittingly hijacks a chat room of cynics to an office worker trying to placate the boss in one window while slaying orcs in another.

The show's origins lie in 2004, with Theatre Gargantua, a small Toronto company that specializes in avant-garde, highly physical productions. Jacquie P.A. Thomas and Michael Spence, the husband-and-wife team behind the show (Spence wrote and Thomas directed) were experimenting with working digital projectors into a new play. Working with video artists, the two discovered that the Internet could provide a wealth of visual material to project -- and the kernel of an idea formed.

Spence says the two started out wondering how the Internet could be used as a tool. But "as soon as we started looking at what it could do, it started telling us stories," he says. In short order, the Internet became the subject of the play itself.

Some of those stories were inspired by from the news, like the online shaming of a young woman caught letting her dog relieve itself on the subway. Others emerged from characters in chat rooms, the once-ubiquitous online spaces where strangers, hidden behind pseudonyms, gather to type witticisms, come-ons and obscenities at each other.

(Once, in the name of research, the Gargantua company trooped off to a cybercafé and took to the chat rooms, where, eventually, three different female actors realized they were being chatted up, simultaneously, by the same anonymous interloper.) If the show's vision of the Net sometimes seems a little dark, filled with libidinous cheaters, cranks, angry mobs and cannibals, its creators insist that they don't have a beef with the technology itself. "It's too simple to say that the Internet is good or bad," Thomas says.

Spence goes one better, mentioning a scene he wrote about an online group for body-pinning enthusiasts, where members offer encouragement and support for each others' self-mutilation.

"There's something malevolently positive about it," he smiles.

The production was first staged in the fall of 2005 at Artword, a 150-seat Toronto theatre that has since been demolished to make way for condos. It was a success with the critics -- as well as a producer from Mirvish Productions, who was in the crowd at Thomas's invitation.

The producer evangelized e-Dentity to his bosses, which led to a meeting with David Mirvish and ultimately a commission to lengthen the show, and scale it up to fit the 1,500-seat Royal Alex. The show could represent a gamble for Mirvish; e-Dentity's high-tech setup has led to reduced sightlines, which has closed the theatre's topmost balcony.

"For an audience that's settled into the Phantom-style theatre, this is a bit of a shock to the system," Spence says.

As for the Gargantua crew, the transition from art house to the oldest working theatre in Toronto has been both heady and educational.

"It's obviously a different production universe. But it's not like suddenly, when there's a bigger budget, all the problems go away," Spence says.

"They just morph into something else," Thomas adds.

Many of those challenges stemmed from the show's technical ambitions, which revolve around the question of how to stage the Internet in the first place. The online world might be a vivid imaginary playground, but in practice, it involves a lot of (how to put this?) sitting on one's ass, staring at a screen and typing.

To its credit, e-Dentity never pretends otherwise. In fact, it seizes on these banal images and runs with them. Is there dance? Yes, performed on rolling office chairs, as cast members hammer out rhythms on wireless keyboards. Is there song? Not exactly, but the cast provides a live ambience by humming into their headsets, loud and long, in something like a Gregorian chant.

As for the screen, this is where the projectors come in. All of e-Dentity's action happens inside a six-metre-high frame, built of metal trusses, that roughly recreates the space the troupe used at Artword. A transparent screen covers the front of the frame. Working behind it, the cast interacts with an array of giant projected images of computer graphics and Web pages that are cast before them, as if they were all trapped inside a sort of virtual monitor.

Some the visuals are preprogrammed, but elsewhere the show gets more daring. The cast includes two remote performers, who interact live with the on-stage actors using webcams; in the show's earlier incarnation, these performances were beamed in from as far afield as Australia. In other sketches, the on-screen images are being manipulated in real-time to match the actors' gestures, as they "throw" words and Web pages across the stage.

The producers have been kept busy trying to keep the content current; three years, after all is a long time on the Internet. The show's emphasis on chat rooms has decreased over time, though other early ideas proved prescient. Years ago, wrestling with how he could dramatize slow-moving Web forums, Spence came up with the idea of "video forums," in which people would leave videotaped messages for each other.

His idea, of course, predicted the arrival of YouTube -- born in 2005 -- where video conversations are now commonplace. The production doesn't jump on the YouTube bandwagon, though; e-Dentity keeps its video forums generic. Indeed, in most places, the production opts to paint the Internet with a broad brush. Real-world Web junkies will recognize the concepts, but the details might seem foreign.

But the latest fads of an ever-changing Web pale against the lessons it teaches about human nature, which doesn't seem to be evolving in a hurry.

"None of these things that we're learning are new, necessarily. Mob mentality is just something that exists in humans. But the Net provides a convenience," Spence says.

"It's one stop shopping," laughs Thomas.

"We are creatures of convenience, and now it's easier to be anonymous in a mob," he continues. "You don't need to leave your living room."

Special to The Globe and Mail

Well, I'm glad I saw it before reading the Globe review, so I had no idea what the set would look like or how some of the effects would be staged. It was a delight to be surprised and to really appreciate the inventive ways the internet was portrayed and presented.

Most or all of the forum members here would really enjoy this show. Internet commerce, chat room, and online gaming while at work were my favourites - the last one had me laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

Don't miss it, you people! You have until May 20.

yeah I approve, especially the first act!

the set was fantastic! well done! Kudos to Mirvish for banking a home grown production.

Louroz

First 50 people at Now's offices this morning get free tickets to the show. 09:00AM folks!!!

The Globe's reviewer today says it was crap, and a mistake for Mirvish to waste money on.

I know someone who saw it and walked out after the first half. She did not have enough bad things to say about it (although I am not sure as to her tastes). I am hearing about other people walking out as well.

The Star hated it too (giving it one star out of four):

e-DENTITY goes off-line
TheStar.com - artsentertainment - e-DENTITY goes off-line

April 04, 2007
Richard Ouzounian
theatre critic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e-DENTITY
(* out of 4)

By Michael Spence. Directed by Jacquie P.A. Thomas. Until May 20 at Royal Alexandra Theatre, 260 King St. W., 416-872-1212.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

u got 2 b kidding.

That’s the initial — and probably the only valid response to e-DENTITY, which opened last night at the Royal Alexandra Theatre.

When Theatre Gargantua’s look at the world of the Internet opened in 2005 at a much smaller space in a 60-minute form, a lot of people whose opinion I trust found it a pleasing piece of entertainment. (I didn’t see that incarnation.)

But a lot has happened to it (and to us) since then.

Mirvish Productions saw fit to put it on their subscription season and threw a reported $2 million into mounting it on a sufficiently lavish scale. It was also expanded so it now runs about 100 minutes, including an intermission.

Neither of these things has necessarily been a blessing. The show’s elaborate physical presentation now only underscores its intellectual and theatrical poverty. What we really have here are a series of blackout sketches about life online, most of which Second City would have tossed in the trash can, or applied some improvisational CPR to them until they sprang back to life.

Michael Spence is the author of the work. He also appears in the show and takes credit for having co-designed the set and props. I’m surprised he wasn’t selling coffee at intermission.

Each vignette has an instantly recognizable point: this is the one about the married man cheating via webcam, this is the one about the guy getting caught at role-playing games on his office computer, etc.

The only problem is that after the initial premise, none of these sketches really go anywhere. They just keep dribbling along until someone presses the delete key and we’re on to the next one.

The first time we hear a chat-room conversation while seeing the text roll by on a screen is mildly interesting; the third, not so much. Most of the show consists of simplistic jokes about sex or gooey sentiments about how similar we all are.

The lighting of DroegeDesigns is often striking, and director Jacquie P.A. Thomas knows how to make the most of physical movement, creating some arresting images as people swing through the air surrounded by multimedia.

However, I could do without the seemingly endless “original vocal compositions†of the company, which have the horribly misguided fusion feel of the Swingle Singers venturing into World Music.

The show ultimately doesn’t go anywhere and the cast, who may have seemed fine in a low-budget, small-stage production, lack finesse and variety when placed on the Royal Alex stage.

But the other major problem is how fast the Internet moves. e-DENTITY’s obsession with chat rooms now seems very five-minutes-ago, and although they make fleeting allusions to YouTube, MySpace and Facebook, they never really get into demonstrating where the online culture is today.

Noel Coward got it right when he once observed, “If you try too hard to be with it, you will soon find you are without it.†That describes e-DENTITY perfectly.

Just for the record, it was also the most sparsely attended Mirvish opening night I can recall. I wonder if it was due to Passover, or word of mouth from the previews. LOL.

I don't really have a great deal of faith in reviewer's, particularly the one from the Star.

Richard Ouzounian, the Star's reviewer, is a no-holds-barred jackass - just read his review. The Globe's reviewer, who is also down on the show, at least makes her points without being the condescending, bumptious clod that Ouzounian proves himself to be over and over again.

I agree that the stories in e-Dentity are too obvious, but the staging is quite original and engaging, and most scenes are pretty interesting 3D imaginings of the 2D world of the net. Some are simply beautiful. It definitely worked for my netizen friends and I when we saw it.

Walkouts - there are definitely walkouts. I think they are mostly subscribers who are used to stuff like Legends, with Joan Collins and Linda Evans, that was on this past fall. Now that was terrible. Did your friend walk out of that alklay? I also heard that Pippin, which played in December, was bad. My friends that went to that left at the intermission. It's pretty hard to keep every subscriber happy with every show...

Actually I do not think she walked out of that show but I recall her saying that she wished she did.

I just noticed that Eye has also panned the show. Interestingly, it basically says the same thing others here have said - it looks great, but....:

On Stage: e-Dentity
April 9th, 2007

Paul IsaacsComments *

Featuring Ciara Adams, Conor Green. Written by Michael Spence. Directed by Jacquie P. A. Thomas. Presented by Theatre Gargantua. To May 20. Thu-Sat, Tue & Wed 8pm; Sat, Sun & Wed 2pm. $20-$65. Royal Alexandra Theatre, 260 King W.

The Mirvish Brothers are proud to present to you… the internet! Yes, the folks that brung you The Lord of the Rings, Mamma Mia and the thrifty-umpteenth production of The Phantom of the Opera have decided to throw tradition to the wind, and get down with the kids — or, more specifically, that super-fangled new invention of theirs, the intertron. Why, it seems like only yesterday that children were playing hockey in the streets, taking candy from strangers, and could safely cycle to school without fear of having their penny farthings stolen. These days, of course, the kids are far too busy for that sort of behaviour — instead, they’re spending all their time on the internet, hording diamonds on World of Warcraft, or poking Indonesian crack whores on Facebook. What happened to our young ones’ innocence? Only the Mirvishes knows.

e-Dentity — which was first produced by Theatre Gargantua in 2005, to reasonable critical acclaim — is a dire and expensive mess. The original runtime of an hour has almost doubled, and Mirvish Productions appear to have thrown money at the show like it was a 1997 Silicon Valley start-up. The results are gorgeous to look at, but dramatically hidebound. The stage setup — with the performers enclosed inside two giant screens, projecting various website images — is extraordinary, and no doubt e-Dentity looked terrific when it was first shown at the (now demolished) Artword Theatre.

The script, on the other hand, is ruthlessly predictable, and about as hip to popular culture as that episode of The Cosby Show when Theo smokes a joint. There’s no narrative to e-Dentity, as such: the show’s just a series of sketches, dances and morality plays, using the internet as its guiding theme. A naïve religious groupie gets trapped in a chatroom slagging match. A webcam girl discovers her online boyfriend is married. An office worker tries to play an MMORPG while emailing some information to his boss. There’s nothing here that wouldn’t have seemed out of date as an SNL sketch in 1999.

With a show as poor as this in one of Toronto’s largest theatres, no wonder people would rather stay at home on the net.

Theatre reviewers do not have the option of walking out.

Good, bad, or indifferent they must stay from beginning to end.

Restaurant reviewers must go back several times - good, bad, or indifferent.

Back