News   May 03, 2024
 842     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 524     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 258     0 

Downtown East Survey

OMG, the questions were insufferably Kumbaya-esque.

I mostly answered that:
- Enforce the bylaws against camping in parks and littering
- Enforce the Safe Streets Act to reduce in-traffic begging
- Bring back beat cops. Get out of your cars, off your bikes and horses and walk the beat.
- Redistribute the homeless industrial complex to across the city, so that all neighbourhoods carry their share.
- Close downtown parks from dawn to dusk (same as Manhattan and London UK)

Central_Park_Close_Sign.JPG

new-york-central-park-sign-showing-rules-of-the-park-BYD4DK.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I have sympathy for the Admiral's take on the survey.

It wasn't completely cringe.........but it certainly had an overt p.o.v.

That said, I filled it out w/an eye to that p.o.v, but trying to induce better outcomes just the same.

As to park closures. There are many people who work night shifts, and parks are where they take their break, or eat their lunch, weather permitting.

I've walked home through parks after midnight, not often in recent years, as a middle-aged guy, but still happens the odd time.

Can't say I'm keen on the closure idea.

I also view it as impractical to enforce.

We have thousand of hectares of parks.............and less than 1,500 police on duty on peak shift, and virtually no by-law officers overnight.

What good is a rule if you cant' enforce it?

Have to take a pass on that one.

Reactions: T3G
As to park closures. Have to take a pass on that one.
I’ve been rethinking this one, and that perhaps giving up Allan Gardens was the best path forward, in that we in downtown east have surrendered our local park to keep our gardens and alleyways clear. I wonder if like in the Fletcher Memorial Home, our homeless, EDPs, addicts and squatters realize they've been sequestered away as part of a community harm reduction strategy.

That's probably part of the city's logic. Surrender a downtown park, surround it with soup kitchens, city services, and charities, throw in some symbolic indigenous nods, provide tents and toilets, make it so appealing that no one who's homeless would want to go elsewhere. The rest of the city benefits while Allan Gardens suffers - perhaps by design.

Last edited:

Back