News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 993     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Distillery District

Giving it some more thought, I would say it’s never going to expand. I think most folks don’t realize just how much control Distillery management has beyond their private grounds- so there’s no way they would want an adjacent event they couldn’t control or make money off. And I imagine they wouldn’t want someone drifting off their brand and possibly ruining the experience.

I’m sure even the random corporate sample wagons (I think Tim’s parked on Trinity last year) only do so by paying Distillery folks. Otherwise the paid “parking enforcement” would have never let them get close. Maybe if the city leases them the side lot off Trinity for their “diner” concept” they’ll have something there.

Consider though that after two years of COPs Donuts having a presence, they were replaced by a DRC run booth that copied their format right down to the toaster- the event is not about community. They’re not about to team with Canary. I could almost imagine them sticking their nose into the long proposed hotel trying to get a stake.

Distillery is really working the cultural attractions with the new Central Asian Film Festival at Young Theatre.

Was just reading about the Ontario Science Centre and Ontario Place, thinking about how the Ford Govt has really seemed to move heaven and earth to ruin the city- whether it’s bullying into those two properties, First Parliament or the MZO on the Foundry (not to mention my one conspiracy theory is that we’re never getting the Ontario Line, but the province is surely taking some prime property they’ll eventually dole out to pals- but I digress)

And I’m just like-
IMG_5396.jpeg

Absolutely nothing for this. Not a hint, a whisper or a faint fart in a distant hallway. There was the small space beside it the Distillery wants a lease on- but nothing on this building- which continues to get broken windows, There was a whole busted door they covered in plywood. So what gives? Ford & friends have been in fire sale mode for awhile so like… wtf?

I know the proposed hotel across the street is a whole other thing, and the rack house has serious structural needs to keep the brick shell together that may be prohibitive- but the one on the west side looks to be a basic building. So why has it never been discussed in any plan ever? Just thought I’d ask to see if anyone had insight here.

Was just reading about the Ontario Science Centre and Ontario Place, thinking about how the Ford Govt has really seemed to move heaven and earth to ruin the city- whether it’s bullying into those two properties, First Parliament or the MZO on the Foundry (not to mention my one conspiracy theory is that we’re never getting the Ontario Line, but the province is surely taking some prime property they’ll eventually dole out to pals- but I digress)

And I’m just like-
View attachment 555918

Absolutely nothing for this. Not a hint, a whisper or a faint fart in a distant hallway. There was the small space beside it the Distillery wants a lease on- but nothing on this building- which continues to get broken windows, There was a whole busted door they covered in plywood. So what gives? Ford & friends have been in fire sale mode for awhile so like… wtf?

I know the proposed hotel across the street is a whole other thing, and the rack house has serious structural needs to keep the brick shell together that may be prohibitive- but the one on the west side looks to be a basic building. So why has it never been discussed in any plan ever? Just thought I’d ask to see if anyone had insight here.
I've been fascinated by this building's puzzling stasis as well, considering it's right in the heart of one of the city's most beloved destinations. What's the story here??

From everything I’ve been told, it’s the province for some reason. If anyone knows different…
I think it belongs to the Province, as does the (large) Jeep dealership lot just north of it - separated by the small lot on Trinity Street that houses (housed??) a major Enbridge junction. (SEE: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-60-trinity-st-enbridge-s.31389/#post-1620465 ) With the new Enbridge gas pipeline under Lake Shore (just completed?) this Enbridge land MAY no longer be required by them.

Last edited:

Back