News   May 06, 2024
 620     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Diabetic fights CIDA for Afghanistan posting

cacruden

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, my younger sister definitely has guts — probably more than I will have (even though I don’t like the government).

The government (you know my favourite organization) has determined that people with diabetes need to be protected from themselves and as such has determined that my youngest sister could not be sent to Afghanistan for work (or Nepal). It does not matter that the US Army actually has people deployed for combat with the same disease (we don’t like Americans anyways).

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Diabetic+fights+CIDA+Afghanistan+posting/2252739/story.html

The US Army may allow it, but the CF has extremely strict guidelines for Canadian military personnel. In fact, if you get diabetes before you are career trained in Canada, that's grounds for a medical discharge from the military.

Given that CIDA is operating with the CF, they are likely compelled to follow our rules. While I sympathize with the plight of your sister (because she is obviously passionate about working in Afghanistan and heaven knows we need people like that), there are good reasons for the rules to be in place.

While our forces are very interoperable, the CF does not operate like the US Army. And CIDA does not operate like USAID in the field. Our operators have been patrolling further out and from more remote operating bases than the Yanks till very recently. This makes the provision of emergency medical care difficult. This factor does impact our civilian personnel, who while not out chasing the Taliban, follow our boys at the tip of the spear to some very remote and inhospitable places. In these situations, an illness is not an individual liability. A diabetic attack, or even an asthma attack can result in unnecessary risk or compromise a mission. For example, if your sister had a diabetic attack while the PRT was heading out the door, days or even weeks of planning, route surveying, mine clearance/route proving efforts, etc. could all be out the window. An individual having some kind of health episode while an aid convoy was in contact with the enemy (not a common occurrence but does happen) could compromise the security of military personnel who would now have to divert attention to taking care of your sister, instead of dealing with the threat at hand. Finally, owing to the fact that we don't have the resources in theatre, this often means we are borrowing or relying on our allies. While the Americans might be willing to service diabetic personnel with their own resources, for the CF this could mean taxing the resources of an ally, which creates a whole host of issues for our government.

The CF on the ground, relies heavily on CIDA members to help plan and deliver aid and development. It is considered essential for the Afghan mission to succeed. Given the footprint of our forces there and the tasks they are given, this means that even this essential mission component needs to have personnel that are at 100%, all the time. Non-standard risks are not an option at this stage (if they were operating in less spartan theatres there would be slack).

And there are alternatives. It's clear from your sister's comments that she was not turned down from foreign service entirely. There are countries she is eligible to serve in. Why not take up one of those opportunities?

I was not sure about the issue - took me a while to think through it originally.... but two things - the problem was not with the military operations per se, since she was rejected also for Nepal. My elder sister is already posted there, and as far as I know - she does not patrol the roads - she is posted to the capital Kabul - and is not "with the military" - all foreign postings are technically "foreign service" (even though CIDA is not that department).

The assessment (original one) said - no danger to other personnel - maybe slightly higher risk than normal (but diabetics are always higher risk than normal) - to which she waives all claims related to it. She also got the goahead from two independent doctors. If you work for CIDA - you're prospects are very limited if you do not have any foreign posting experience (when she joined she was not told that her condition would hinder her).

For me, I broke it down as such:

The question here is not whether it is discrimination, but whether the discrimination is warranted. Is Bronwyn physically able to do the job (yes - according to experts), or is Bronwyn a risk to other personnel (according to the assessment - no). Which leads me to believe that this is discrimination for the sole purpose that this is the way the government has always done things. When someone takes on vested interests, trying to change the status quo - they are often attacked - ridiculed - but eventually society moves forward and we wonder why we ever discriminated in the first place.

We use to build things in such a thoughtless fashion as to create barriers to those with disabilities. Now we as a society try to make sure that the society is inclusive of those that we originally excluded. We originally did not allow women in the armed forces, now we are more accepting. Society will eventually change, and even if it does not change quick enough for Bronwyn - she should continue to push so that others that follow do not have to go through this sort of harassment and are judged individually - not discriminated against as a group. There are over a million diabetics in Canada alone.

Back