News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Council's big spenders

Member Bio
Reaction score
Council's big spenders
TheStar.com - GTA - Council's big spenders

TORONTO STAR GRAPHIC The wine, the limos and the bunny suits

Amid a deepening financial crisis at Toronto’s city hall, councillors’ perks and spending habits have come under increasing scrutiny. Here’s a sampling of how some spent part of the $53,100 they’re each allotted annually on office expenses — information the Star obtained by examining files available through the city clerk’s office.

Giorgio Mammoliti
200 limo ride on Feb. 20, 2007 (no destination).

Norm Kelly
On $3,100 China trip in 2006 he took with his wife: “I gave a fabulous address on water to 1,000 guests from all over China. The taxpayers got “value for their money. I showed the flag.â€

Adam Vaughan
$900 for piece called “OMB Squared†purchased from local artist.
$281 for espresso machine.
He said: “Those are two of my most ridiculous expenditures.â€

Pam McConnell
$1,741.96 for Christmas cards in 2006. Explanation from McConnell’s executive assistant Sherry-Ann Lotz: “The amount is ridiculously high. I screwed up royally there and it looks really bad. It’s on me.â€

Karen Stintz
$107.27 for bill that included five glasses of wine and a half-litre of wine at Milestones. After being asked about the expense yesterday by the Star, Stintz said the claim for alcohol was submitted “by mistake" and that she now plans to pay the city back out of her own pocket.

Sandra Bussin
$205.20 on April 9, 2007 for two rabbit costumes. Her explanation: They were costumes for volunteers in the annual Beaches Easter parade. “What do you think? That I was dressing up in a bunny costume for a private party?â€

Case Ootes
$15,184 in advertising and promotion, and $20,927 for printing, postage and couriers in 2006.

Ron Moeser
$3,576.61 on office furniture for his constituency office, including two desks, credenza, bookcase, boardroom table and leather chair.

Letting councillors okay their own expenses harms their reputation – and costs taxpayers

December 04, 2007
Royson James
City Columnist

It's been called a re-election slush fund, a loosely controlled pot of taxpayers' money available to each Toronto councillor to spend as he or she sees fit. And now, council's two notorious penny-pinchers have formally asked the city to do random audits on the way councillors spend their $53,100 office budgets.

Doug Holyday and Rob Ford, perennially at or near the bottom of the spending list, say the city's auditor general should do the audits because while most councillors live within the rules, the rules are not clearly defined, there is little monitoring of spending, and a cursory glance at the expense sheets raises alarm. For example:

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti okayed cab trips from downtown to Bolton and Woodbridge after midnight; and he authorized a $200 limo ride, destination unknown.

"I'm looking into that," he said yesterday of the late-night cab rides to York Region and the limo ride earlier this year.

Councillor Pam McConnell spent $1,741.96 for Christmas cards last year – including $1,028.86 for 400 cards from the Flatiron Christmas Market. "Yes, that's ridiculously high," admitted McConnell's executive assistant yesterday. "I screwed up royally there."

Case Ootes, who barely fended off a strong NDP challenge in his Toronto-Danforth ward last year, winning by just 20 votes, needed every bit of the $36,111 of tax dollars he spent promoting himself in newsletters and ads in local media.

It didn't take rookie Councillor Adam Vaughan long to join the gravy train. Since his election, he's spent $900 for artwork for his office and $281 for an espresso machine. Now he says, "those are two of my most ridiculous expenditures."

Right-winger Karen Stintz, a frequent critic of council spending, got religious on her own office budget yesterday, moving to withdraw an expense she had filed for booze. "Not justifiable," she now admits.

Councillor Norm Kelly, who fancies himself an erudite, expansive thinker with wide interests, is the most peripatetic traveller, filing claims for over 15,000 kilometres last year. In addition, he ventured to China, using $3,100 of his office budget, with his wife, to lecture on water.

Ford says the above is enough to warrant a full council investigation into office expenses, but since city council and the mayor have refused to even countenance his suggestions, he and Holyday have turned to integrity commissioner David Mullan and auditor general Jeff Griffiths for help.

"This is no expense account. Let's call it for what it is – a re-election slush fund," Ford said yesterday. "They use it for shameless self-promotion, promoting themselves at the taxpayers' expense. The mayor is the leader of council. He should be taking the bull by the horns, but he's turned a blind eye and swept it under the rug."

Ford has been in a running battle with council over office expenses since he was elected in 2000. The latest volley came when Mayor David Miller proposed the land transfer and vehicle registration taxes. Ford and others argued councillors should cut their perks first.

Yesterday, responding to the Ford/Holyday request, Mullan says he does not have the resources to do such an audit and he acts only on specific complaints about a specific councillor's alleged inappropriate behaviour or spending. Griffiths said last week that such an audit has not been his priority but he would listen to a request from city council.

Winnie Li, head of the department that monitors council spending, told the executive committee last week that her staff are there to record and track spending, not police it. Councillors approve their own expenditures and if they say it is for council business, Li and staff can rarely challenge it – except when a clear policy is clearly violated.

Unfortunately, "there are gaps," Li says. "You're talking about a guideline; it's not as clear, as you can tell by those (expense) reports," she said yesterday.

Some councillors don't include all the details required on taxi chits or restaurant receipts, contrary to city policy. Mileage claims are inconsistent and obviously incomplete.

There is little monitoring of personal use of cellphones.

Some councillors flout a policy requiring them to get three quotes before they spend more than $2,000. Mammoliti, for example, bought a video camera, printer and other equipment without three quotes. The city's purchasing processes take too long, he says. Li admits it's cumbersome.

Griffiths and Mullan may be able to help councillors here. Leaving them to their own devices is costing money. And it is costing the councillors a huge hit in their image.

"The more city councillors fight, the more we do damage to each other, the more we lend weight to people's views that we can't do our job," said Mammoliti, one of the main combatants. "We need to stop."

He meant the sparring, not spending.

I wish Ford would either shut up or be fully exposed as to how he has no office expenses. It's getting too silly to hear about this year after year.

This microscope up the ass as to what people use their office expense budget for can get on the nerves. Concerns over mailings? Imagine that? And a leather chair and other furnishings for three thousand? I'm sure that was all of the highest quality. Next time a metal fold-up chair should do. An office coffee machine is so terribly unusual as well. Who needs to drink coffee from a $300 coffee machine when one can filter the grounds through a napkin? And expenses for a party? Never! This is a job where fun is banned and any sense of community outreach must be curtailed. Parsimony must be the corporate religion. This is Toronto after all!

And not like anyone in private business makes any really questionable deductions at years end. No. Never. So we can't compare them (right Mr. Ford?).

Exactly, Hydrogen. It's pretty pathetic that the bashing of elected officials has gone so far that people are saying that they shouldn't even be able to authorize their own expenses. If something is really bad, and I don't really see any on this list that are other than perhaps the christmas cards, then the public will find out and the councillor will pay. Ultimately, councillors are paid so little for a rather thankless 24/7 job that I don't care if they spend a bit on a coffee machine or decent office furniture.

Karen Stintz
$107.27 for bill that included five glasses of wine and a half-litre of wine at Milestones. After being asked about the expense yesterday by the Star, Stintz said the claim for alcohol was submitted “by mistake" and that she now plans to pay the city back out of her own pocket.

We've still got that Prohibition-era prudishness about our elected officials and alcohol. They should never be able to claim such a thing as an expense! They're going to use it to get drunk! What are they supposed to say when they take a visiting European dignitary out for lunch? "Sorry, only grape juice for you." It must be pretty humiliating.

I must say, though, that the bill is rather low considering the amount of wine they drank.

It's Royson James' personal bully pulpit and incredibly, he's a fan of Ford and Holyday, two of the worst councillors out there. Sure there's some interesting purchases, but $55,000 is really reasonable budget to run an office from (when you consider mailings, staff and etc).

I think the real shame is the pay that hardworking councillors' staff receive. They work long hours at a difficult job, and their pay is so low that it would be pretty much impossible for them to even afford to buy their own home.

I would only argue against expenses that would not be seen in any office. Seriously, coffee machine? Nothing wrong with that unless the coffee beans are flown fresh straight from Columbia or some sort of nonsense. There's a thing as going to overboard in trying to be "fiscally responsible".

I don't support a councellors private vacation but I do support buying the office a dinner and a round of drinks for X-mas.

even if they reduced spending on these perks, you still can't balance the books.
what bothers me is not the spending but rather the poor job some are doing. i would be in full support of doubling the perks if we could have better elected officials and would go so far to say that if miller could the the feds and province to hand over more of our money back to us, give the man a ferrari and let him be cooled by the fans of the most beautiful women in the city.

A hundred bucks is pretty good for a rabbit costume these days, with or without whiskers. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

And a thousand bucks for 400 Xmas cards is cheap, per card. Even at the January sales that's a good price - boxed sets of well designed cards from the ROM, AGO, V&A, MoMA etc. will set you back more than that, per card.

And a thousand bucks for 400 Xmas cards is cheap, per card. Even at the January sales that's a good price - boxed sets of well designed cards from the ROM, AGO, V&A, MoMA etc. will set you back more than that, per card.

Your point's well taken, but that is a bit high. I bought a ten card set from the V&A for about 4 pounds, and you can definitely get a discount if you're having your own cards made up in bulk.

Letting councillors okay their own expenses harms their reputation – and costs taxpayers

One could say something of the same for newspaper columnists - particularly those who probably make more than the councillors in question.

Jesus, councillors in Brampton and Mississauga are paid more than Toronto councillors. A quick, back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that the mayor and city councillors - wages and expenses - are a $2.70 a year cost for every person in the city. A drink at Starbucks is more expensive.

are a $2.70 a year cost for every person in the city. A drink at Starbucks is more expensive.

Ya, but I can get a Timmy's XL for $1.58. Fuck Starbucks :p

I'm all for a hard working councillor treating his/her staff well, drinking tons of coffee (although if there's was a machine *plus* Starbuck's receipts - then I'd get pissed off).

Someone please give me further details about King Georgio's dates with the Mexican 'business' harem. I'll alter my debauched thinking upon receipt of some remotely acceptable explanation.

At some point there has to be a line. Because if we can't say that a few of them have already crossed it, then the city really is in trouble.

Jesus, councillors in Brampton and Mississauga are paid more than Toronto councillors.

and do you wanna know why jesus is paid more than toronto councilors? because he gets to enjoy a global tax base.

And I was just using his name in vain. I had no idea the dude was a city councillor.

But just as an aside, Prometheus, once while stuck in line at Loblaws I noted the cover story on one of the fine journals by the check-out. The feature story was that the Hubble Space Telescope had discovered heaven! The odd thing is that the place looked kind of like a dumpy desert village. It was small and flat, too (flat earth, no doubt).

At some point there has to be a line. Because if we can't say that a few of them have already crossed it, then the city really is in trouble.

Yes screenplaying, and as I work in the private sector, I get to watch the people I work with (and for) write off the most impressive stuff on their taxes as "business expenses". They never get exposed in the newspaper. And let me tell you, they buy wine for prices that's make you blush.

I had no idea the dude was a city councillor.

he must be. why else would he be spending his budget or frivolous things like new hats for the pope while people are starving on the streets?

:p

Back