News   Jul 16, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

Copy of keys requested by Condo Management Company

Bruce Lee

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I just closed my first condo couple of weeks ago, never have been a condo owner before.

Yesterday, I've got a mail saying that Condo Management Company would like to have a copy of my unit's keys, in case there's fire or flooding, also it stated that contractors now have to spend more time working on projects, as they don't have keys, which is driving the management fee up etc...

Since I never own a condo before, just want to know if this is a normal practice. If so, what will prevent un-authorized use of my keys to enter my unit, without my prior permission?

I wasn't sure what kind of maintenance they need to do in my unit, it's not like I’m living in a electronic closet or something.

Ideas?

This is very common, in some condos the actual locks belong to the Corporation ('common elements"). In my building the explanation seems pretty clear and sensible.

If there is an emergency that requires entry to your Unit and we do not have a key, the Corporation may, depending on the nature of the emergency, have to remove the lock and/or chains or break the door; any costs associated with either procedure and any additional costs incurred because of delay, will be the responsibility of the owner. If you change the front door lock(s) of your Unit, please make sure that you provide the Superintendent with a copy of the new key(s). Please be assured that (except in case of emergency - flood, fire, power failure, loss of heat or other threats to life or the security of the Corporation or other residents) we will not enter your Unit without proper notification, giving 24-hours notice. If the Superintendent has a copy of your key(s) for use in an emergency situation, major damage to your unit and surrounding units may be prevented or reduced.

An example would be water pouring into a Unit, because the owner above had left a tap running and gone out. If the Super can easily get into the Unit he can turn off the water and greatly reduce the damage.

For Fire/Flooding concerns, I do understand that there's a need.

The part about how maintenance fee will go up, if they don't have the key just doesn't make sense.

My concern was how they can ensure that they only use the keys in emergency situations such as fire or flood. As the letter they send out didn't cover this.

I think the phrase "and any additional costs incurred because of delay, will be the responsibility of the owner." is supposed to cover the fact that if there is a delay in getting a locksmith and there is extra damage that could have been prevented by speedier access and/or the door is damaged then the owner who has not given a key will be charged for this.

It is also true that if there is some sort of maintenance project going on in the building and the Manager has to get each Unit's key then it will take him/her more time and the contractors will take longer and in due course the monthly fees will go up because the costs have increased.

Of course, you cannot have a 100% guarantee that the key will not be misused but if you live in a building where you don't trust the Management then you should either move or talk to your Board about getting a new management company.

Or I should tell them "if i find out you enter my unit, without legit reason, i'll kick your ass... real hard" :D

Or I should tell them "if i find out you enter my unit, without legit reason, i'll kick your ass... real hard" :D

Well, it can't do any harm and if you send this to Management Company I would copy the President of your Condo Corporation. (IN many condos they must leave a note saying "we were here today to do X" unless they had already made a prior arrangement.

Back