2.7K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 618     0 

Condos and babies

M

maxy505

So I'm getting married soon, and the first kid should pop out in a year or two. I had been planning -- from an economic point of view -- to stay in a condo until the kid is 3-4 years old, after which I'd want at least a townhouse (something on the ground floor anyways, with a couple sq.ft of lawn).

When I thought about the reality of it for the first time last night, my fiancee and I realised (well she did) that having a baby in a 1-bedroom condo would be a challenge. Even in a 2-bedroom there will be problems with storing the stroller, carrying everything up and down the elevator, maybe even smells, etc.

Has anybody here lived in a condo or apartment with an infant? How did it work? How many sq.ft. was the place?

Have a 2 year old son, live in a 1200 sq. ft. condo downtown, 2 bedroom plus den....works out fine. Probably eventually make our way into a townhouse downtown. Technically could have another child in this condo but it would mean converting the den into a small 3rd bedroom. It's doable but not certain if that's the direction we want to go.

Sure there are cons to condo living with kids but the pros certainly outweigh them...10 minute walk to work means more time with the kids, everything we need as a family only a short walk away, the culture, entertainment, shopping, waterfront, etc.

I spent the day in the burbs today...I just can't go back. There's so much more to life that I want my kid(s) to experience and the city offers this. I also don't want to get home from work when they are getting to bed.

Ask me in August.

Congrats, poppa to be.

When I was shopping around for a condo I saw three that were occupied by parents with toddlers (just one). It seems that once the little one starts to walk there is a need for more space. The units I was looking at were in the 800 square foot range.

Thanks.

I have a 1305 square foot unit. Its a one bedroom plus den. The den will be converted into the bedroom. Only problem is where will all of my CDs and vinyl records go along with the computer. Time will tell.

We're excited to say the least. Can't wait to start grooming the next generation of UT forumers.

There are plenty of families in the burbs who live in condos and apartments. I went to school with tons of kids who grew up in those communist looking slab towers in Scarborough. Their life was fine. But on average those places are larger then downtown condos, and were complete with three bedrooms, etc. They just don't build family condos anymore like they use to.

Great news! Congrats, Ed!

Can't wait to start grooming the next generation of UT forumers.

2.jpg

"No, junior... that's way too suburban."

noname.jpg

"Much better! Have a cookie."

We've got two kids - both girls, 2-years and 3-and-a-half.

870 sq. ft. 1 bedroom +den. The layout is very efficient, and works alright. The lack of a yard is a pain in the ass, as is the whole stroller, wagon, and everything else that comes along with the kids. On the other hand, winters with underground parking rock - we can go to the Superstore and never go outside. That's a sweet deal.

It's doable, but no ideal. Then again, driving 2 hours each way to work from where there's a house we can afford isn't ideal either.

Congrats Ed.

The condo will work just fine, our problem was with transportation. Transit and babies don’t really mix.

That's funny ganga! So true. Checked out the lego's section at the store the other day lol. Thanks all. Part of my plan for Toronto to surpass the population of Chicago some day soon.

Gracis amigos. Sounds like I'll want to move into a place bigger than the 750 sqft I've got now.

I'm kind of the opposite. Have a 3 bedroom detached house in Milton and we're not expecting kids for another 3-4 years but really want to be in a condo right now... but we know we'll want to move back into a house (although our preference would be for the burbs) once kids come. How we ended up with a house in the first place... don't ask... long story :\

Congrats on the new addition Ed.

We're a couple years away from having kids, but will most likely be in a condo too.

Back