News   Sep 04, 2024
 98     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 748     2 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1K     1 

Condo market to crash in Toronto?

With so many condos going up, we're going to hit a surplus in supply soon. Now, if only these developers would build a three bedroom condo for families instead of these one + 1/2 bedroom units for yuppies and gen-x/y folks, they'd still do okay.

The article clearly states that 3 bedroom units have the tightest profit margins and are the hardest to rent/sell, while 1 bedroom units make the most. Developers will continue to develop what sells.

Anyway, people have been predicting the condo market crash for 5 years now. meh.

The article clearly states that 3 bedroom units have the tightest profit margins and are the hardest to rent/sell.

I see that it says they are the hardest to rent, but I don't see anything about sales. I think that the more rooms a residence has the less likely it is to be used as a rental since renting is a method to reduce costs. If someone has the money to rent a three bedroom they probably can afford to carry a mortgage on something a bit smaller.

Its wierd, they have to keep saying this over and over because it never comes true.

For a couple of years there are articles indicating Toronto is over saturated in the condo market but they're continuing to sell like street meat. Confidence is high, the economy is good and there's lots of foreign investment. Interest rates are slowly creeping up but it doesn't seem to be hurting sales. Certainly there will be a correction just as likely as a recession.

I doubt it'll crash. At worst, the market will soften... perhaps dip 5-10%. Real estate in Toronto is still relatively affordable versus other major North American or international cities... there's no room for a crash.

the truth is the population is increasing in places where the condo boom is going on. The population of the Toronto Centre riding went up 6% since 2001.

The areas all along Yonge street got significant population growth. Its some of the older suburban areas where there has been no development where the population is severely declining.

The number of illegal immigrants in Toronto is pretty high. I know a few of them, as well as a handful of people who couch surf or spend the majority of their time in Toronto, while claiming residency elsewhere in the province/country. I imagine there are far more people like this. It's impossible to tell how much StatsCan undercounted Toronto's actual population, but there's no doubt that there was an undercount.

even so the places where there have been a lot of redevelopment, they have experienced a large amount of growth.

Back