714     0 

CN tower to retain Worlds tallest Building Title...for now

E

El Chico905

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
TheStar.com - Business - World's tallest building faces year-long delay

www.thestar.com/article/176925

Feb 01, 2007 04:30 AM

Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building, is facing construction delays of at least a year after a leading contractor on the project went broke.

Work that should have begun in the first quarter of 2006 won't start until April at the earliest following the bankruptcy of Switzerland-based Schmidlin Ltd. Facade Technology, said George Efstathiou, a partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, which designed the 160-storey tower in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

When finished, the silvery steel-and-glass building is expected to top 700 metres – taller than Toronto's CN Tower, which stands at 553 metres.

------------------------------

I must say, that I never really liked this project. And that my postings of "I'll believe it when I see it" may ring true. Current photos of the project look very much like another "On Hold" project in PyongYang.

I wish that I still had my account on SSP so that I could stir the pot there. Maybe I should get them to change the diagram to "On Hold" :)

CN Tower 4ever!

Re: CN tower to retain Worlds tallest Building Title...for n

Meh. If not this tower there are several others working their way through the system that will surpass the CN Tower.

Indeed- I think Calatrava's spire in Chicago might even have a shot at getting built: www.shelbournedevelopment...hicago.pdf

The CN tower had a good run and it will always be a great place to get a view of the city.

I wish that I still had my account on SSP so that I could stir the pot there. Maybe I should get them to change the diagram to "On Hold"

but its not even close to being on hold - its structure continues to rise at a rapid pace and should easily top CN by years end - there is more to erecting a building than a facade

I was wondering why the tower was at about 100 floors and still no cladding yet. I guess this explains it.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Dubai economy went into a tailspin and this thing was never finished just like that hotel in North Korea? Now that would be a stump!

Then imagine 1000 years in the future after global warming kills 99.9% of us and this structure is the only one surviving. Archeologists will make all kinds of weird assumptions as to how we lived, etc.

Eh... I think I need some happy pills. Interchange 42, got any to spare?

What happens when Dubai builds a building so tall that the earth's rotation really starts bending it? There's also the issue of knocking satellites out of orbit.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Dubai economy went into a tailspin and this thing was never finished just like that hotel in North Korea? Now that would be a stump!

the 'money' behind the project would still be a multi-billionaire and in control of thousands of passports

I know. Was joking.

I know. The thread's initiator - maybe not

This is hilarious. The breathless "CN Tower to lose its title" piece has been a staple of Toronto journalism for the past 30 years. We might not have seen the end of it yet.

but its not even close to being on hold - its structure continues to rise at a rapid pace and should easily top CN by years end - there is more to erecting a building than a facade

I was taking the next step...and the pessimists point of view. It would be odd to have this building occupied and being able to see people working at their desks with no windows installed (assuming they have tenants for this monstrosity)

I know. The thread's initiator - maybe not

maybe so. ;)

Signed the thread's initiator...I like the sound of that.

After being dark for quite some time, I just looked out my window to see that the Skypod and the upper lights are on! Huge difference from the darkened tower (with only the navigation beacons flashing) we have been accustomed to.

Ah yes-the CN tower at 1,815 feet-the world's tallest free standing structure! I have always liked it-specifically since I have gone to the top myself at least three times in the 80s. LI MIKE

Back