News   Jul 11, 2024
 327     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 534     0 

Closest Urban Area To GTHA

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
It has been on my mind that Toronto is obviously diverging from NA urban models and that this is accelerating. Coupled with this is the past comparison to the Greater Chicago Region in terms of size. However that is no longer useful for numerous reasons.

Then where can we look for models of where we might be headed? Greater London, UK! Now if there is a better example please let me know. The similarities seem to be a very large, traditional core that still dominates but is being joined by numerous city centres.

Canada also shares a history of attempts at regional planning (green belts) that is similar to the UK. But perhaps the biggest similarity is the blend of private sector dominance in the housing industry within a more flexible regulatory framework than is seen in the US and Australia.

Thoughts?

It has been on my mind that Toronto is obviously diverging from NA urban models and that this is accelerating. Coupled with this is the past comparison to the Greater Chicago Region in terms of size. However that is no longer useful for numerous reasons.
why don't you think this is useful? I still believe this is the most accurate comparison to the GTA and will continue to be so for some time.

Then where can we look for models of where we might be headed? Greater London, UK! Now if there is a better example please let me know. The similarities seem to be a very large, traditional core that still dominates but is being joined by numerous city centres.

Canada also shares a history of attempts at regional planning (green belts) that is similar to the UK. But perhaps the biggest similarity is the blend of private sector dominance in the housing industry within a more flexible regulatory framework than is seen in the US and Australia.

Thoughts?

My thoughts the last few years mirror yours. I also concluded that London UK was the closest pairing although our move towards a poly centric metro started decades before London and (PT excluded) we're notably further ahead of London in building out our nodes. It's more a case that Toronto is where London is heading than the other way around.

Perhaps we need to acknowledge that instead of being a city that always looked to other cities for inspiration and direction, we've become the city that's leading the way. Besides, isn't this what big global cities of consequence do? They lead. Planning is an area of strength and cities like will increasingly look to Toronto. Los Angeles, Melbourne, and Sydney are all moving towards a poly-centric model with TOD as well but we're further down that path than all of them.

Last edited:

Back