Clement - No "Rational" Discussion at AIDS Confere

A

AlvinofDiaspar

Clement - No "Rational" Discussion at AIDS Confere

From CBC news:

No 'rational discussion' at AIDS conference, Clement says
Last Updated Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:24:38 EDT
CBC News

No policy or funding announcements were made during this week's International AIDS Conference in Toronto because some delegates made it impossible to have a "rational discussion," federal Health Minister Tony Clement said Friday.

Activists and "so-called experts" at the conference took over the dialogue, Clement said during a visit to Antigonish, N.S., where he announced the creation of a centre at St. Francis Xavier University to study the root social causes of disease. He also joked that the warm reception he received there differed greatly from his welcome in Toronto.

"That conference, in our view, was becoming a place where you couldn't have a rational discussion," Clement said.

"I think things were way over the top, at least from some of the so-called experts and people that like to have an opinion on these things."

As an example of the politicization of the conference, Clement cited South African AIDS expert Mark Heywood's call for the resignation of South African Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, whom he accused of promoting traditional treatments, such as lemon and garlic, instead of anti-retroviral medications.

The Conservative government has been criticized for not announcing its AIDS funding plans during the conference. Two cabinet ministers abruptly cancelled planned news conferences during the conference, which drew roughly 30,000 delegates.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who didn't attend the conference, said the conference had become "politicized." Harper spent the week visiting the North, a trip he said had been planned for months.

Clement defended the government on Friday, saying Canada had a strong presence at the conference.

"We put $6 million to fund the conference. We were present everywhere and I was there for five days out six," Clement said.

Activists and "so-called experts" at the conference took over the dialogue, Clement said during a visit to Antigonish, N.S., where he announced the creation of a centre at St. Francis Xavier University to study the root social causes of disease. He also joked that the warm reception he received there differed greatly from his welcome in Toronto.

Interesting that the health minister should chose a locale so far from the major centres of the disease to study the "social causes". As to warm welcomes, well, it would please me greatly to see the said minister stay there, for good so as to "study" the "social causes" a bit longer while the rest of the world act to deal with the matter at hand.

AoD

Re: Clement - No "Rational" Discussion at AIDS Con

"As an example of the politicization of the conference, Clement cited South African AIDS expert Mark Heywood's call for the resignation of South African Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, whom he accused of promoting traditional treatments, such as lemon and garlic, instead of anti-retroviral medications."

Uhh... how is that an example of things being politicized? Calling decision makers on their choices and messages seems to me exactly the sort of thing you would hope would come out of an AIDS conference. Unless Clement's definition of "politicized" is simply "involving politicians"?

Unless Clement's definition of "politicized" is simply "involving politicians"?

Naw, Clement's definition of "politicized" is the same as Harper's - if they criticise Harper, then it's "politicized". All the cabinet ministers have strict instructions to sing from the same hymnbook, after all.

Then what does the example that I quoted above have to do with Harper?

I just don't think Harper and Co had patience for types of people who went to the AIDS conference (activists and people "without family values"), and when Harper was near-unanimiously blasted for not showing, that just reinforced their attitudes.

I was not specifically referring to your comment (except highlighting your quote), but to the article in general.

Nothing at all? Harper and his handlers wanted to avoid embarassment, and ditto for his cabinet. Some have pointed out Chretien's failure to show at the conference in 1994 in Vancouver to say it's OK for Harper et al to do the same. It wasn't right for Chretien, and it isn't right for Harper. Thinly veiled excuses won't cut it with the Canadian public, I wager...

"That conference, in our view, was becoming a place where you couldn't have a rational discussion," Clement said.
SI-Milhouse.gif

I guess that's what he looked like when saying that...

I guess by "rational discussion" he means the discussion his government wants to have.

Aids has been "politicized?" Where has he been for the last twenty-two years?

Root social causes? This is a virus we are talking about isn't it? What are they going to research when focusing on social causes? The social issues hampering efforts to halt the spread of the disease seem well documented and I can't figure out what possible insight research in Nova Scotia could provide into solving the problem. I really think people on the ground around the world in various locales and groups are going to know the social issues already.

- Excuse me ma'am, just wanted to inform you that new Canadian research shows that many women in this culture and locale...

- Are you kidding me? Give me something I can use.

It doesn't make sense to label social obstacles preventing the spread of a disease as "social causes" for the disease. They plan on studying the "root" cause no less... not mitigating factors but the true "root" of the problem.... I'm guessing that means sex? They don't fully understand that yet? Speaking of "rational"...

Back